DCU Book Club Week 101: JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA’S VIBE (2013-) Issues 1-5, Aug 17-23

”Spinning out of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA (2013- ), Vibe rocks his way into his own series with a debut issue cowritten by Geoff Johns! How did Vibe get his abilities? What is the cost to them? And why does the JLA want him on the team so desperately?”

Greetings DCU,

Thanks for stopping by for week 101!

This week, we are heading to Detroit to visit Cisco Ramon, aka Vibe, and his family.

Cisco’s special ability puts him on Argus’s radar. But don’t worry, Amanda Waller has a very special development plan for his abilities.

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, August 17, 2020 and Sunday, August 23, 2020.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read: JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA’S VIBE (2013) Issues 1-5 :books:

:sunglasses: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS: :sunglasses:

1. Is this your first time reading JLA’s Vibe (2013-)?

2. If you were Cisco, what would’ve been the first thing that made you question if Argus was “good” or “bad”?

3. What do you think of Gypsy?

4. Who was your favorite character?

As always, we’d love to hear your candid thoughts and reactions to the story.

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

2 Likes

Gotta make room in my reading for this. Didn’t read it at the time, but could be cool. Now, cancel some sleep, talking to humans and other nonessential activities.

3 Likes

Yep, first time reading “Vibe”. Actually, the first I’d even heard of him was on “The Flash”, but have since ran across him as a Black Lantern in “Blackest Night”.

Well, Firstly, I can’t believe that he jumped in the car with Gunn as quickly as he did the first time they met; however it was probably when he was with Kid Flash.

I think she is a good-hearted person by the way she treated people in the crowd.

I’m liking the Gunn character pretty well. I think the way Cisco was appreciative of being shown the ropes by him, and his concern for Cisco makes him one of the good guys.

As I said, never had read any Vibe works except as being a Black Lantern, so I was aware of a relationship with Gypsy. To what extent, I wasn’t sure. (Still not sure)
I like the brother aspect of the story as well. The give and take between them is fun, but also Cisco’s calling on big brother, Dante, when he’s in a jam.
Waller is typical Waller. Control Freak - numero uno!

2 Likes

I’m going to have to read and discuss these issues before DC Fandom this weekend.

3 Likes

Hi @msgtv

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the book!

:laughing: - I relate to this statement so much!

2 Likes

Hi and welcome! @bcarder2

Same!

Yes, this moment was insane! I wanted to yell “don’t get in cars with strangers!”

:+1:

I think Gunn is a great addition to the story and great character.

:laughing: me either! They are complicated!

I liked it too - sibling dynamics are fun to read.

Yep! that’s our Waller! :laughing:

Thanks for joining in and sharing your thoughts with us!

2 Likes

Hi! @Lecouch84

Excellent! It’s a busy and exciting week to be a DC Fan :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, Vibe 1-5 is good enough that I’ll have to finish this short run series. For me, part of the attraction to this series (besides the great art, action, and writing) is the direct ties it has to the Justice Leagues’ Detroit ear which is highly under appreciated. Vibe, Gyspy and Gunn all come from that run (along with Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Citizen Steel and Vixen). In fact, one of my memories of that run is the Wrecking Crew attacking the Justice League and Crowbar (is that his name?) throwing his crowbar at Aquaman who just one hand catches it and throws it back.
While I still think the New 52 version of Waller is a huge mistake that ignored what made her special, I like everything about the reinvention of the other characters.
Dante’s total brother attitude toward Cisco, cracking on him continually but still having his back was entertaining.
Gyspy was another JL Detroit favorite that faded largely away after that run, and so far they make great use of her. I don’t know because I haven’t read this before, but Waller can be a butt head, but she’s usually got a point. Think a turn may be coming from our girl.

3 Likes

Hi! @msgtv

Fantastic about Aquaman. And you gotta love Detroit!

:heart:

Great point on Waller - there’s more to come on her in the last part 5 issues of the run. I won’t spoil it :zipper_mouth_face:

Thanks so much for joining in and sharing your thoughts on this run!

3 Likes

Yes first time.

I would say probably when Gunn shot breached in issue 2, when he was just giving him what looked like a note. You always should question a company’s actions when they do something like that.

She was interesting and way different than what she was like on the TV show The Flash. Her character also makes you wonder if anything Waller said about her was true.

My favorite character was Dante because I wanted to learn more about him and why he acts like he does and seems not to care about the rest of his life.

3 Likes

Hi @Lecouch84

:laughing: Good point!

So true! I was expecting her to be like the Gypsy on the Flash. There is more depth to her by the end of the full ten issue-run - and much more of Waller. It’s always good to question Waller!

I was curious about that too.

Thanks so much for reading along! And happy DC Fandome day! :blue_heart:

3 Likes

Discussion for JLA’s Vibe is open through tonight!

1 Like