DCU Book Club Week 10: VIXEN: RETURN OF THE LION Issues 1-5

I have a question too, I wonder if mine is the same as @buddybaker’s. I’m looking forward to the spoiler discussion this weekend.

Happy thanksgiving everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful day. I’m almost done with the book and can’t wait to talk about it!

1 Like

Spoiler discussion begins today at 5PM EST and lasts all weekend! See you all then

Spoiler discussion has begun! What did everyone think of this week’s book?

1 Like

okay so i just finished issue 3 (still not done) so imma ask my question really quick before the spoilers come in and hop off!

1. I’m so in love with this and soooo glad i stumbled across this thread and found some new reading material! (excited for next week’s choice lol)

2. So she mentioned The Red as her source of power…I’ve known beast boy derives his powers from that as well ever since new 52 I believe (correct me if I’m wrong) so what’s the point of the totem/where did she get that from? Is her actual meta-human ability slight animal transformation but still picks up each individual ability of the animal and this all comes from the Red? Or was it the totem that sparked her powers?? And what IS the totem?

sorry if this is confusing/so long…mainly trying to see where she derives her powers cuz she was explaining that totem really helps with control but mentioned the red. Whole time if I recall from a few years back, I thought her powers were given to her from another omnipotent being of the sort.

Thanks in advance fellow D.C. goers!!!

1 Like

I just finished it and loved it. I would like to see Vixen do a solo run down in Africa fighting off the war lords for the villagers. And getting to the bottom of who the lion spirit guy is. My favorite things about it are that it took place out in the brush the wild. And the cobra venom spit was an awesome surprise. loved it.

3 Likes

Enjoyed it! The art was was very well done

1 Like

I loved this even more than I thought I would. I’ve never read a Vixen comic before. I can’t wait to read another one.

2 Likes

The author told parallel stories of Vixen and the JL and it felt seamless. Not every author can pull that off so well. Great job.

I loved how Vixen had physical manifestations of the animal powers she was using (I wish we could see that in the Arrowverse instead of the animal hologram).

2 Likes

This story had some major DC characters in it, but they didn’t drown out Vixen’s voice and story. It was cool to see Black lightning working with the league. I did not see the twist coming at the end. Roy’s Patriot Arrow was on point in the big fight scene.

3 Likes

Question: how did Canary get healed? I didn’t see anyone give her the antidote. I thought Batman just hurled a regular ball of mud at her to keep her from using her power.

2 Likes

I agree with @Dr. Doom that one of my favorite things is that it took place out in the brush the wild. I felt like I was right there in the savannah with her. I could “feel” being stalked by the lion - again, excellent writing and art.

2 Likes

Off topic. I’m a new subscriber here. I’m wondering if anybody knows if Batman/spawn cross over is on this site. If someone Will respond I’d appreciate it

The red arrow guy is handing her a bottle. right before the big fight at the end.

@Deku_

Glad to have you! Thanks for stopping by!

1 Like

@JLWWSM

This was my first Vixen solo book. And I also really enjoyed it!

3 Likes

Yea she’s pretty awesome. I love her powers. And I do want to know who the lion spirit at the end was. Picture it . Vixen prowling the African wild. Stalking the evil war lords who have conquered and enslaved her people. A hungry animal with a taste for bloody vengeance.

2 Likes

Cool

1 Like

When do we know what the next book is? Will you post it here?

1 Like

@deku I want to try to give a shot of answering your question even though I never knew anything about vixen except from legends of tomorrow. This was my first look into her in comic books. I really liked this series and I hope to read some more like this. But any way I think at least from my TV standards, the totem is like a conduit. The powers are within the person, but the totem is what helps the control. So at first it seems like she relied on the totem for her powers alone and feared the unknown of not having a totem to “regulate” her emotions and powers. Then she realized that the power was within her along. Thats how I interpreted it. I hope that helped. If anyone has any opinion about this. I don’t know who this Red is. So my question is who is the Red? I’m new to this comic book life.