DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 95 STARFIRE (2015-) Issues 1-6, July 7-12

DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 95 STARFIRE (2015-) Issues 1-6, July 7-12

”The alien princess Koriand’r settles down in Key West, where new friends try to teach her how to live a normal life.”

Greetings,

Thanks for stopping by for dcubc-girl-power! We’re well into the summer now, let’s spend some time with a sunny, fiery character: Starfire! Starfire is a bit of fish out of water. Let’s see how she fits in in Key West.

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Tuesday, July 7, 2020 and Sunday, July 12, 2020.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read :books:

STARFIRE (2015-) Issues 1-6

:fire: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS :fire:

1. Is this your first time reading Starfire (2015-)?

2. What was your first introduction to Starfire (e.g. which comic, tv series, other)?

3. Do your feelings about or perception of Starfire change from issue 1 to issue 6? If so, how so?

4. What was your favorite moment in the story?

We’d love to hear your general reactions to and thoughts about the story - and see your favorite panels!

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

6 Likes

…Uh…Wait, I think we might be missing issue…

Nah, just playing. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looking forward to reading it! :smiley:

1 Like

:laughing: It’s fun, light-hearted read!

Oh, and since this released around the “DCYou” initiative DC was doing, there’s actually an 11-page prologue that was in the back end of one of the Convergence books (I don’t remember which one or if they kept it on DCU). It used to be available on Comixology, but I can’t find it on their site anymore. They do have it on the regular DC website!

2 Likes

Nice! Thanks for sharing this.

No problem! I just wish these stories themselves were available on here as well. Many of them are fairly one-shot in nature, but there’s books like Starfire here, Cyborg and especially The Omega Men where the preview is almost essential to what the book is.

Hi everybody!
Popping in to say we put out an article today to discuss this series.

Could be a nice complement to your discussion!

3 Likes

Thank you!

I completely agree with the article! It lists 5 things I really love about this series. There’s something very light-hearted , fun, “summery” about this series.

1 Like
  • Is this your first time reading Starfire (2015-)?

I had previously read the preview issue that I had linked earlier in the thread, as well as the first issue or two, I believe, but first time I went through the rest.

• What was your first introduction to Starfire (e.g. which comic, tv series, other)?

Like a lot of folks, my first exposure to Starfire was the Teen Titans animated series, but unlike many, she wasn’t really my favorite, nor was the series itself for the most part. I liked Robin and Raven in that series, but the rest was just way too annoying for me at the time.

I didn’t really get into the character until I read her in Geoff Johns’ run of Teen Titans. There was elements of the character from the cartoon, but she felt stronger to me, with how she was a protector and was willing to throw down with the likes of Wonder Woman and Superman for the kids in her care and for the memory of those she loves.

I think we were all Kid Flash in that moment.

• Do your feelings about or perception of Starfire change from issue 1 to issue 6? If so, how so?

I don’t know if anything changed per se, but speaking of her animated counterpart, I feel like Palmiotti and Conner here did a great job of adapting that take on the character in a way that feels like another facet to the warrior princess that I grew to love via Johns and Wolfman/Perez. While I wonder how she wouldn’t have learned a lot of the stuff that was mentioned her during her time with Dick or the Outlaws, she doesn’t feel too much like a ditz/the butt of the joke like she was in the animated series.

• What was your favorite moment in the story?

I’m going to go with her team-up with Atlee/Terra. That was a welcome surprise. Not only were Palmiotti/Conner able to essentially canonized their previous take on Power Girl, but they did so in a way that furthered Atlee as a character – where in the past she was the new girl learning Earthly customs, she now gets to help another strange visitor in the ways of the world.

1 Like

I’m getting close to releasing the first discussion thread concerning Red Hood and the Outlaws, and I have certain opinions about how that series depicted Kori, so it was nice looking at these issues of the 2015 series and seeing how it gave a different spin to the character.

2 Likes

We’ll probably get into it then, but from what I’ve seen, similar to Jason and Roy, while there may have been issues with how they were portrayed in Outlaws…what Lobdell did with all three of them were WAY better than where they were before the New 52. I’ll take “weird memory by smell but also a badass pirate captain” Starfire over “Dick’s clingy ex” any day.

1 Like

Yes this is the first time reading this series.

My first introduction to Starfire was Teen Titans the animated series.

I don’t know if they change but I’m definitely willing to keep reading this series to see why Dick Grayson is their and to see how her job at the Aquarium turns out.

My favorite moment was

because it made me laugh and also was just a honest response that someone not from Earh might give. Another moment that I enjoyed was Starfire trying to think of all the sayings that Sheriff Gomez and the other characters were saying to her.

1 Like

Hi @Jay_Kay

:rofl:
Yes! I certainly was! Fiery, bold Kori! :+1:

I really loved the strength of her character in this series. She was a fish-out-of-water, and she was courageous, bold, and filled with love.

My interest in Atlee/Terra really spiked after reading this series. I loved their team-up.

Thanks for joining in and sharing!

1 Like

Hi @AlexanderKnox

I haven’t read Kori in Red Hood and Outlaws. I’m really curious about it now - thanks for sharing!

1 Like

:smiley: Hi @Lecouch84

It’s totally worth it to read the last 6 in this series! I can (and have) re-read this series multiple times. At the end of issue 12 I was actually sad because I had really grown to love ‘hanging out with Kori’, and when the story was over, my ‘hang out with Kori’ time was over. Seeing how things go down with Grayson, Atlee, and the story overall is really worth the read!

Her pure responses were so golden, honest, and loveable! This Kori is very, very fun!

Thank you for reading along and sharing your comments! :blue_heart:

1 Like