DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 73 BIRDS OF PREY (1998) #69-73, Feb 3 - Feb 9

Ha! Sounds like you have a bone to pick with Entertainment Weekly.

2 Likes

Nope!

Me, about a year ago: So, the cult’s god is some kind of computer monster? I wonder if this is someone we know. I mean, it can’t possibly be Brainiac, but maybe something like Kilg%re…?

This Story: Oh, is that so?

And that was how I learned not to underestimate Birds of Prey.

Oracle is usually MVP, and she’s in the hot seat (uh, so to speak) even more than usual this time around, so I think I’ll go with her.

Dinah snapping Babs out of Brainiac’s control. I love their dynamic, and that was a great moment for them. In general, while the stuff with Huntress and Vixen infiltrating the cult was kind of interesting, the cooler parts of this story are the subtle horror elements with Brainiac and Babs.

2 Likes

:laughing: awesome!

Ha! So true

I’m with you. It’s so well written, I can just feel their dynamic.

I didn’t expect to be captivated by it, but I was hooked.

Thanks for reading along with @JeepersItsTheJamags! It’s great to hear your thoughts!

2 Likes

Happy Birds of Prey day!

Our discussion is open through Sunday night!

2 Likes

Is this your first time reading Between Dark and Dawn ?

Nope – I read this story a long time ago back when I was newly getting into comics, picking up all the trades I could from my local library. Then a while back there was a BOP sale on Comixology that included a lot of these issues and bought and read up to that point.

Which character(s) were you most surprised to see in the story?

That’s a hard question since, y’know, I read these ages ago. Maybe at the time I would have been surprised by Brainiac, because such a big villain often isn’t in a more street-level storyline, but I feel like the cover for that trade might have hinted at it.

Do you think there was a most valuable player (MVP) in this story? Why or why not?

I’m gonna throw out a dark horse candidate here: the perv with the computer in the hospital. I may be losing some of you, but hear me out: If Canary didn’t get the computer then and realize that Barbara wasn’t even connected, would she have realized so soon that Barbara was being invaded by Brainiac? I rest my case, your honor. :smiley:

Seriously, all three of the main cast have some good stuff here. Dinah does good in helping Babs break hold from Brainiac, and Barbara herself does a lot of work in breaking his connection. Finally, Helena has a good moment where she doesn’t succumb to the desire to kill the creepy pastor guy.

What was your favorite moment(s)?

The aforementioned moments are great. I also liked the Superman cameo, and how Oracle wonders if he knows she’s Oracle now and Canary’s priceless admission of thirsting for the Man of Steel (which I kinda feel her on TBH). Huntress coming back to mess up the guy who initially sold her out was also funny, especially with her being offended at the implication that a city girl can’t fish. :smiley:

3 Likes

Ha ha. I love that explanation!!

2 Likes

HI @Jay_Kay!

I agree with @eharriett - loved your explanation! I think that’s what I like the most about this story - it really makes you connect the dots. There is so much going on and everyone is important to the story.

LOL! Yes!

Thank you for reading along with us and sharing!

2 Likes

JL and Matt, thanks for visiting this run of Birds of Prey again. As I probably noted last time you featured this era of Birds of Prey, I tend to follow certain writers like a happy puppy, and Gail Simone is one of those writers. She’s soooo good at sympathetically digging into the psyche / motivations / humanity of the “border” heroes / anti heroes and straight up villains- Secret Six, but also mercenaries like Red Sonja. She’s SOOO good at what she does I didn’t even notice the kaeidoscope of incoming and outgoing artists for this short run.

Some favorite random panels

1. Uh, while I remember the Savant and bodyguard side story, this run of 5 I don’t recall.

2. Having all those forgotten metas in cold storage was a nice touch. Gail S sorta conveniently forgot to mention how they obtained them, or why having kids jump bridges helped Brainiac in his quest, but there ya go.

3. Wow, MVP? With Birds of Prey, so tough to say, as the esteemed writer really makes everyone super valuable to the greater effort. In the end, I guess I have to hand it to the atheist for her grit.

4. Favorite moment again so difficult to choose between Savant / Creote moments, the initial moments of Huntress entering the gas station, the scene where Huntress brilliantly talks the cult leader out of having everyone blow themselves up or the moment Huntress and Vixen realized they were going to have to fight against the impossible- guess I’ll just “pick” the moment the bad guy rationally stands down. Hey, that happens during hostage negotiations more than we may realize, we just hear about when it all goes bad usually.

More fun random shots:

Thankfully, it’s been a very long time since any crazed American religious cult has decided to commit group suicide. Now the standoffs seem to be between wilderness land owners willing to die over what they perceive as their ownership of land the Federal government has decided to gobble up. But when this came out 2001, those sad instances of misplaced tragic religious cult zeal were still fairly fresh in everyone’s minds.

Birds of Prey is the topic of just about every Club right now of course. But I’ll just mention here that the One Shot Club is featuring what I think is the very first Birds of Prey at the moment, very very different from this Birds of Prey.

1 Like

Oh yeah, the Creote/Savant stuff was a fun little interlude. I got a nice chuckle out of “I would like to buy some illegal drugs, please!”

3 Likes

Yes first time.

Superman and Vixen. Superman because he was in the neighborhood (Beijing) and Vixen because I didn’t know who Huntress’s backup would be or that she was being manipulated.

I would have to go with Huntress and Black Canary. Huntress for the reason of not being able to be controlled because of her atheism and finally being able to get through to Vixen to get her back on her side. Black Canary because she rescued three attempted suicides even if it was for Brainiac to have more time to take over Oracle’s mind, also for being able to get through to Oracle to remember who she really was.

Have to go with this one

because when you know you maybe screwed but still have to fight for your life.

Overall a good story. Hopefully I’ll be able to read more to find out what happens to Oracle and if Savant/Creole can turn around a place even Batman can’t.

2 Likes

Hi! @Don-El

:+1: She really is amazing!

Agree! Seeing all of them in cold storage was a jaw-dropping moment for me.

MVP in a Birds of Prey story is a tough question. Even I can’t answer it, I keep arguing with myself every time I try to pick one in this story. :laughing: . It’s fun to read the everyone’s picks and explanations.

I’m happy that Birds of Prey are finally getting their moment on the big screen and that there is increased interest in reading about this phenomenal group of women!

Thanks for the panels and for sharing your thoughts and favorite moments!

2 Likes

Hey there! @Lecouch84

Yes! So awesome!

:+1: I think those are great explanations!

Yes indeed -great pick!

I am very intrigued by that part of the story too.

Thanks for reading along and letting us know what you thought of the story!

1 Like

Yep!

UM BRAINIAC?! I had no idea he was going to be in this story. It was so so cool when he showed up. He was also extra creepy in this.

Babs went one on one with Brainiac so Im tempted to say her, but I’m going to have to say Huntress. Going into the cult by herself AND breaking Vixen free took a lot of strength and she just kicks so much butt.

This one for its emotional weight:

And this one cause it’s so cool:

Great great pick @JLWWSM this one was a BLAST!

3 Likes

Hi @MattMcDonald

Same. For me, the stakes went up so much higher when he showed up. His defeat was so satisfying! I was cheering for all them - it was team work at its best!

Huntress is just awesome! She has a special and unique brand of awesomeness

That moment grabbed my heart!

Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing the panels and your thoughts!