DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 73 BIRDS OF PREY (1998) #69-73, Feb 3 - Feb 9

The Birds kick off the ‘Between Dark and Dawn’ storyline! Huntress goes undercover to infiltrate a religious cult with a dangerous secret and a hidden operative. Featuring guest art by Ron Adrian (THE FLASH).

Greetings,

Thanks for dropping in for Girl Power!

:clapper: The Birds of Prey movie is in theaters on Feb. 7, 2020. It’s time for bird watching! :bird::bird::bird:

Last year, we covered the Sensei and Student arc of Gail Simone’s run. This time, we pick up on the very next arc in the story, Between Dark and Dawn.

Note: Prior reading is NOT required to understand this week’s selection, so feel free to dive in!

:busts_in_silhouette: HOW TO JOIN THE FUN!

• Read the story between Monday, February 3, 2020 and Sunday, February 9, 2020.

• Reply your answers to the discussion questions, share your thoughts about the story, or both!

• Have fun discussing the book with the community. All are welcome to join, just jump right in!

:rotating_light: Our SPOILER discussion begins NOW.

:books: What to Read: BIRDS OF PREY (1998), Issues 69-73 :books:

:bird: DISCUSSION QUESTIONS

1. Is this your first time reading Between Dark and Dawn?

2. Which character(s) were you most surprised to see in the story?

3. Do you think there was a most valuable player (MVP) in this story? Why or why not?

4. What was your favorite moment(s)?

We’d love to hear your general reactions to and thoughts about the story.

:incoming_envelope: Questions? Concerns? Feel free to send me a direct message.

Click here to learn more about DCU Book Club (DCUBC).

Happy Reading!

6 Likes

Well, I’ve reread the first 63 issues of Birds of Prey in the last forty-eight hours. I’ll go out on a limb and say I can get caught up to this in time to join in.

2 Likes

Man, there’s a lot of BOP to read these couple of weeks and frankly I am all for it. :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi @JeepersItsTheJamags

Just a note, this particular story arc can be understood without prior reading, so no worries if you can’t catch up. It’s cool that you’ve read so much of it recently.

1 Like

Yay! The BOP are fun.

Yeah, I’ve read the whole series before. It’s probably my favorite ongoing, hence the rapid-fire reread.

2 Likes

Kind of figured we would be reading something with BOP in the title.

• Is this your first time reading Between Dark and Dawn ?
    Yes

• Which character(s) were you most surprised to see in the story?
    Vixen and Oracle

• Do you think there was a most valuable player (MVP) in this story? Why or why not?
    Would say Vixen, because she had powers that we’re most feared out of everyone there

• What was your favorite moment(s)?
    When Oracle took Braniac out of her mind

1 Like

You know us well! @Lecouch84

Hi @ProActress2O!

Great pick and reasoning!

Yes! That was mine too. It was intense, I was cheering! My heart was beating fast during that scene. :laughing:

I was happily surprised to see Vixen. She had quite a ride throughout the story.

Thanks for joining our BOP discussion!

1 Like

Yes she did and no problem. Always fun to read to read comics I’ve never got a chance to read before :slight_smile:

1 Like

Deal me in! Bookmarked and ready to read!!

1 Like

My first post, and first time participating in these book club discussions. And was a great way to start. So let’s see where I go with this:

1. Is this your first time reading Between Dark and Dawn ?
    Yes. I was an avid DC comics reader during that time, so I am familiar with what the DCU universe was during then. But I never got into BoP. I think I read the first 6-9 issues, but it never caught on to me. If I thought there was anything wrong with it, I don’t remember, it just never clicked. Although this read through certainly shows it would have clicked now.

2. Which character(s) were you most surprised to see in the story?
    Nothing really surprised me. Oracle, Huntress, and Canary were the BoP, and they were who I saw. Superman cameo and a few others were nice, but that wasn’t too surprising. The Superman villian at the end of the B-story was a bit unexpected though. Probably the most unexpected surprise was the location. At the time that came out, I was living in a rural part of Oregon. Had I read it new, I would have really enjoyed the coincidence of part of the story taking place there.

3. Do you think there was a most valuable player (MVP) in this story? Why or why not?
    Not really. Team stories that are done well, like this one definitely was, generally gets constructed to where each member carries their own weight. Part of the JLA lack of appeal to me is there are more characters than spots in the story. But this one I thought was well balanced.

4. What was your favorite moment(s)?
    The highly grounded cult story really engaged me. That Charles Manson-esque cult storyline I thought really brought the comic story into a blievable reality.

That being said, I thought what turned into a B-Story of Oracle getting some kind of weird virus/hack/whatever by Brainiac really took me out of the moment. I found myself not caring at all about what happens to Barbara but instead wanted to get back to Helena and Vixen. Which is odd, because I generally like Oracle centered stories. But it was such a disconnect I really noticed in my read through.

Should give the rest of the series a read through now. Give it a second chance.

Anyway, that’s my first thoughts. I normally wouldn’t be able to get through those so quickly, but I happened to have a lot of time in a waiting room today. Looking forward to more of these. Thanks.

4 Likes

Whoohoo!

2 Likes

Hi @eharriett!

Welcome to the community and welcome to Book Club!

Regarding Superman, I enjoyed his role as essentially a super-ambulance :laughing:

Wow, that’s a cool coincidence.

I couldn’t pick an MVP either. Huntress saved Vixen, Vixen saved Huntress, Huntress was cut off from Babs and Dinah, so she was on her own. Babs would not have survived or fought off Brainiac without Dinah. And Babs saved them all after help from Dinah. I felt like they were all are equals.

Same. I couldn’t stop reading.

So glad you could join in. Thanks for reading along and sharing your experiences and thoughts about the book!

2 Likes

Yay! Can’t wait starting now!

2 Likes

Caught up and reading. I do have one bone to pick with these issues:

Computer, zoom and enhance.
What do You Mean Guilty
What do you mean, “guilty”?!

2 Likes

Yay!!

1 Like