DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 55: BATWOMAN (2017-) #1-4

@Mae
“It sounds corny, I know, but I love that she’s flawed and messy and rough and tough but can also be tender and feminine.” - I don’t think it sounds corny. That’s what I like about her too! She has a rough past, but she fights onward to be the best version of herself. I think that’s amazing.

I think charcoal black with crimson rocks too, and all of the art in this series. The last fight with Tehani inside the cove is my pick for the standout moment too. :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading along and sharing your thoughts on these issues with us! Happy Batwoman premiere day! :bat:

1 Like

@AntLeon
Bad buy bingo needs to be thing. :laughing:

Alfred gets plenty of action in the Pennyworth show on EPIX. He’s a smoothy, I agree Go Alfred!. The warlords showing up was intense. I see there is a lot of love for the drones! Thanks for sharing your feedback on the story with us!

Excellent discussion! I’ve really enjoyed the answers to all the questions, especially to question 4, you all have unique perspectives and answers for that one. Our discussion ends this evening.

1. Is this your first time reading Batwoman (2017-)?

Yes.

1. What was the stand out moment in the story to you?

I don’t know if it was a good standout moment, but what stood out was the weird siblings.

1. What was your favorite Bat-tech or Bat-vehicle in the story?

Probably the wings Kate uses to glide away after her altercation with Knife.

1. At the end of issue 4, why do you think Julia chose not to send her final reply to Batman?

I don’t know who Julia is or her relationship to Bruce. I’m guessing she’s related to Alfred, but I have no idea.

I was actually pretty confused by this arc because it introduced a lot of characters at once. The art was gorgeous. The reds are striking. I like whenever movies, TV, and comics show things in black and white, while only one or two things have color. The fact that it was red reminded me of Schindler’s List. Batwoman’s silhouette reminds me a lot of Huntress and her cowl does too. I really liked the action, just wish there was more story. Felt really dragged out and like it could have been told in 1 or 2 issues.

1 Like

For those wondering, Julia debuted in the Batman Eternal weekly series that was headed by Scott Snyder and written by multiple people. She was big there while Alfred was healing from Death of The Family stuff and things within the book, and she was around for Endgame and the JimBats era, but kind of disappeared with Rebirth until this run.

1 Like

@JLWWSM thank you for picking this for the book club to coincide with tonight’s Batwoman premiere. I never thought we’d see this and now it’s here…

1 Like

What fun to read this while I’m watching the Batwoman premiere with Wifie!

What really made this work for me was the stylistic work of Steve Epting! His work for Captain America Winter Soldier with Ed Brubaker was I’m sure more than half of what made that story so famous!

I thought the criminal island background was a fascinating reason to believe that Batwoman is a very different kind of hero with a very different origin than Batman.

Great pick this time around!!! (I also really liked her gadgets).

It would have been a very different story if Jae Lee (his alternate cover shown here) had done the illustration for sure!!!

1 Like

@Nu52
Ohhh yes, the wings. Those were so cool! I agree, there were a lot of characters. I’m bad with names in general, so I had to take notes on everyone’s names to keep up with it. I’m happy you enjoyed the art - especially the beautiful reds. Thanks for joining us!

@Jay_Kay - Thank you so much! I had no idea where she came from. That’s awesome. :heart:

@Mae
You are very welcome, and I’m so glad you joined us! I’m really excited to watch the premiere.

@Don-El
Yes! Her background is so unique and completely different from Batman. Glad to hear more praise of the beautiful artwork and I’m happy you enjoyed the story. Thanks for reading along and sharing your thoughts!

1 Like

The art is always amazing with Batwoman titles I feel like. She just lends herself to these beautiful images.

I so hope we get a new Batwoman book soon.

1 Like

First time reading any Batwoman.

Crazy Twin Bingo!

I love that her “Bat cave” is actually a ship, Sequoia. A mobile bat cave makes so much sense if you’re going to be fighting crime around the world. It’s like a micro aircraft carrier.

Julia seems to believe Batwoman made the right choice returning to the ship and “duty”. Or she might be in league with the Many Arms of Death.

I loved the art, very stylistic and contemporary, I think the below panel of Kate Kane in #4 is amazing.

2 Likes

Gasp! Get three to an Elegy!

2 Likes

Hi @NoxPlague

So glad you could read Batwoman and share your thoughts about the book!

:laughing:

Great point! A ship is certainly more mobile.

I like your out-of-the-box thinking :smiley:

Great pick! I am happy you enjoyed the art!

Thanks again for stopping by!

1 Like

Hard to believe we read this six months ago

1 Like