DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 17: POWER GIRL (2009-) Issues 1-6

Bubble

Thanks @Naythan.Payson :slight_smile:

Iā€™m looking forward to hearing everyoneā€™s continued thoughts on Power Girl.

2 Likes

Bubble

Assuming Iā€™m still coherent after watching the double-feature today of Death of Superman / Reign of the Supermen, I plan to do my homework assignment and post later tonight.

Looking forward to it . I greatly enjoyed Power Girl in the JSA comics the past 20 years and course in the All-Star group back in the seventies.

1 Like

Woo boy I loved this. For starters Iā€™m always a fan of short and sweet arcs. Thatā€™s exactly what this was. 2 fast and fun arcs.

Power Girl as a character was fantastic. Smart and confident (with a sense of humor!)

Amanda Connerā€™s art was fantastic. A little uneven at times but overall itā€™s just beautiful. The action scenes were a real stand out.

Ugh I love this book. Iā€™ll definitely be checking out more of Power Girl.

3 Likes

Seriously what a great book to kick off Girl Power!

2 Likes

Awesome!

For first time readers, was the book what you thought it would be? Were you surprised by anything?

2 Likes

The artwork of Amanda Conner is great. It is too bad she is not fast enough to produce a monthly comic, but I guess it is because of all the effort she puts in her work, and her unwillingness to compromise on her art.

These things about Power Girl struck me:

Her immense willpower

The fact that she knows that people thinks she is a dumb blonde, but is willing to use that fact to win the day?

That her values are completely unlike Batman in the movie Batman Begins, where he says to Ra, ā€œI wonā€™t kill you, but I wonā€™t save you.ā€ She not only saves h.

film , but make sure he gets proper treatment.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t know she ran a business! I like how hands on she is with it. As opposed to Bruce who we rarely see operating Wayne enterprises. It really sets the character apart. Also itā€™s nice to see a character based out of NYC in the DC Universe.

4 Likes

I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Power Girl in this arc, who Knew! I was aware of the character before, she obviously strikes a powerful pose, which to me is a lot of the essence of the character. The humor is great, they found interesting and funny ways throughout to poke fun of Power Girlā€™s broad chest.
A few highlights for me was:
:boom:Ultra-Humanite, recounting his origin in front of a shackled PG, that could not move or speak. Her response was golden.
:boom:I liked all of the Patriotism in this arc, published nearly 10 yrs ago it paints the picture of a hopeful and welcoming America on page one, and throughout.
:boom:I also enjoyed the mentoring and friendship between PG and Terra, doing mundane stuff like furniture shopping and going to the movies.
I will definitely continue on with Power Girlā€™s story here on DCU, without this app I might not have gotten the opportunity

4 Likes

@TurokSonOfStone1950
I, too, loved that she understands that people underestimate her, and then uses that to her advantage. Her compassion for friends and enemies alike really stands out.

@MattMcDonald
Iā€™m looking forward to learning more about her business as I continue the series. I loved seeing the business aspect of her. I was delighted to see NYC too.

@ IssacBrown
Iā€™m so glad you enjoyed it! Also, your emoji bullet points are perfect for Power Girl :slight_smile: If it wasnā€™t for DCU, I canā€™t think of any situation where I wouldā€™ve read Power Girl. Iā€™m glad it was available here. From what Iā€™ve seen, the community has spoken fondly of her character both here and in other threads.

4 Likes

I was surprised at how boldly the author addressed the elephant in the room with Power Girl (her large chest). I didnā€™t think it would be addressed or acknowledged in any way throughout the story. I felt like Power Girlā€™s general attitude about it was, ā€˜Yeah, theyā€™re big - so what?! If you donā€™t mind your manners Iā€™ll punch you into Jupiter!ā€™ Hahaha. I thought it was funny.

7 Likes

@JLWWSM
Good pick this week :wink: And The ā€œSpace Girlsā€ toward the end weā€™re funny, accidentally decapitating a convict, then driving down south with a very sketchy guy, all while wearing stripper clothes

2 Likes

Power Girl 1-5: I love all the preceding commentary, I feel like weā€™ve had great participation and interaction this time around! Itā€™s too bad that this didnā€™t last as a concept or series, and that New 52 kind of blew it all up. I liked having Terra as a buddy for PG. The employees of the company were fun. Iā€™ve always enjoyed heroes that attempt to heal and rehabilitate their enemies instead of slaying them.

The appearance of the Big Bang Theory crew is ironic, considering several years later this happened:

ā€œConnerā€™s art was featured in ā€œThe Perspiration Implementationā€, the October 19, 2015, episode of the American sitcom The Big Bang Theory. In the episode, comic book store owner Stuart Bloom asks the women for ideas on how to attract more women to his shop, and Amy Farrah Fowler (Mayim Bialik) points out that an illustration hanging on one of the shopā€™s walls, ā€œGirl on a Leashā€, may not be conducive to attracting female customers. The image, which was illustrated by Conner and colored by Paul Mounts, depicts a scantily-clad woman being held on a chain leash by a muscular, whip-wielding masked man.ā€ (Wikipedia)

4 Likes

So now, where are we with Power Girl in the New 52 / Rebirth world? There was Earth 2 I guess, and I am pretty sure Power Girl ends up there. There was this wild series a few years after what we just read that featured a Huntress and a Power Girl from Earth 2 that are not the ones we know from regular DC comics:

5 Likes

In the post-Rebirth DC Universe, Power Girl (Karen Starr) appears to be trapped in some sort of interdimensional void between earths. Tanya Spears tries to get Karen Starr out by using an etheric transponder that allows her to travel there in an incorporeal state, but her physical body was disconnected from the machine by an unaware Kid Flash (Wallace West), so both women remain trapped as a result. (Wikipedia)

Wow, so Power Girl is just kindaā€¦ out there ā€¦oh wellā€¦

3 Likes

So final thought. Lots of folks liked the Power Girl series we just enjoyed. What happened to the character afterwards can only be described as a trainwreck of bizarre continuity. Hopefully the ending of Doomsday Clock will ā€œset things rightā€ and bring back the JSA and the Power Girl we have here along with them!

4 Likes

I personally rate this run as a solid 8 of 10. Very amusing, good art, I liked the humor and the kindness shown.

If it was a little more serious on the plot side and a little less ā€œvaudevilleā€ on the man / woman relationships humor (two snowglobes held strategically etc etc man slave etc etcā€¦Terra fighting in her underwear, on and on), I would have liked it more. Imagine Superman or the Flash written like this from the male viewpoint side a la Benny Hillā€¦a non starter. ,maybe riotingā€¦

4 Likes

@Don-El
Thanks for the history of how Power Girlā€™s storyline has progressed since this run. And I, too, would like to read a more serious Power Girl storyline in the near future.

I enjoyed Terra and the employees too. In my opinion sometimes the villain must be slayed, but to your point it is heartwarming, inspiring, and often more heroic to attempt to rehabilitate an enemy.

4 Likes

Great discussion everyone! Thanks for reading or re-reading Power Girl (2009) #1-6 this week. It has been a pleasure to be your host and to hear your thoughts and reflections.

If you have any further thoughts on this weekā€™s selection, please feel free to add them until the end of Sunday night (Jan. 13th).

DUCBC Girl Power! will return in February. Stay tuned tomorrow to see what @MattMcDonaldā€™s got in store for us in DCU Book Club Week 18.

4 Likes