DCU Book Club-Girl Power! Week 17: POWER GIRL (2009-) Issues 1-6

Our spoiler discussion begins today, Friday, Jan. 11th, at 5pm EST / 2pm PST.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

3 Likes

First Girl Power! Spoiler discussion! Woohoo!

2 Likes

I liked the minor Watchmen reference in #4. Nice touch.

3 Likes

:mega: Our spoiler discussion has officially kicked off and lasts throughout the weekend! :mega:

:speaking_head: What are your thoughts on the story? Were there any standout moments or characters?

2 Likes

I thought the whole thing was alot of fun! Ultra Humanite was a fun villain and Atlee was adorable. She needs a suit though (which she eventually does get), cuz fighting in what she wore after her and Karenā€™s first night out looked a wee bit awkward.

Anez and her girls were fun too, especially Anez.

2 Likes

I really liked the Lady Liberty intro at the beginning. Using that iconography to compare Power Girl to and to portray an image of a refugee, and a strong female figure was just a really great touch.

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if Iā€™m a big fan of how theyā€™re writing the supporting characters tho

1 Like

I love Pee Geeā€™s wedge boots tho, like legit.

2 Likes

I liked the references in Power Girl #4. The Big Bang Theory gang was interesting to see.

1 Like

One thing that I really like about the portrayal of Power Girl in these comics is that she commonly lifts up other women. Even the three women that crashed their ship in the park, she said they were fashionable. The Elf Queen, she let go and set up with a job(which Idk if I entirely agree with) but she saw that her intentions were good and she redirected them to a positive output, helping out her and the rest of the community around her. Her interactions with Terra, the list just goes on, like itā€™s pretty cool.

2 Likes

Also, itā€™d be like criminal of me not to mention the themes that Ultra Humanite shares with the trans community in this comic. The point where he talks about being trapped in his own body, I almost criedā€¦ It added some dimension to his character which was kinda nice.

2 Likes

I missed TBBT ref in #4. Thanks for mentioning it, Iā€™ll have to reread that one.

The theatre scene, the most recognizable is Leonard on the far left in glasses and a Flash shirt.

So while I have read these issues before, one thing I was struck with was the more serious moments and the overall theme of bettering the world and how people make their mark on it. Itā€™s interesting that Karen is often characterized as a bruiser who thinks with her fists, but in this series sheā€™s mostly characterized by her sense of compassion and her using her words and negotiation to settle conflicts. Despite everything that happens in the first story, she makes it a priority to not just capture Ultra-Humanite, but get him psychological help. With the Elf Queen, Karen gives the girl a chance to use her passion to better the world rather than let her continue on the path of super-villainy. Lastly, she talks down the space princess holding the mafia goons by appealing to her sense of justice and her love for her sisters who`s needs were more dire. And this is far from the only time this happens in this run, and this continues into their other work, including Starfire and Harley Quinn. Considering how often these kinds of stories just end in punching out the bad guy, itā€™s pretty refreshing, and a good message.

Factor that with all the legit good action and the humor littered throughout, and itā€™s part of why I put this run in such high regard.

1 Like

@Yazov

Itā€™s interesting that you mention trans themes with Ultra-Humanite, because in the Golden Age/Earth 2, he didnā€™t have the albino gorilla thing and was just a disabled mad scientist (He was actually Supermanā€™s first supervillain, before even Lex Luthorā€™s debut) who at one point actually put his brain in the body of actress Delores Winters.

act_20_005.png

2 Likes

@Vroom, I totally agree, Atlee totally needs a new suit! Iā€™m glad you enjoyed the story.

1 Like

@ Yazov and @Jay_Kay
I really enjoyed reading insights to the story and to Power Girl.

1 Like

As I previously mentioned, this is my first time reading a Power Girl comic. She never appealed to me because I thought her costume was specifically designed to attract and entertain men, so I shied away from her story. I HAVE BEEN MISSING OUT! I LOVE POWER GIRL!!!

In my opinion, the power of Power Girl is her big, bold personality. She has Supermanā€™s powers, but a completely different personality. Sheā€™s sarcastic, bold, funny, smart, caring, and doesnā€™t hesitate to throw a punch. I was rooting for her as she defeated a sexist, pretentious villain on the battlefield, in the office, and even in the movie theater.

I laughed a lot through this series due to the crazy so over-the-top situations. Special mentions:

1. Wildcat wishing he didnā€™t have to give CPR in issue #3.
  2. The panels of Power Girl and Atlee watching the movie in the beginning of issue 4 reminds me of our DCU community during the DCU Watch-alongs.

I want a Power Girl movie. Iā€™m looking forward to reading the rest of the series.

3 Likes

Finishing up the book tonight/tomorrow then Iā€™ll jump in! Great discussion so far!

1 Like

Great choice JL!!

1 Like