DCU Book Club-Epics: CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS (1985-) Issues 1-12, Nov 17 - Dec 8

And Here. We. Go.

In the beginning there was only one, a single Black infinitude.

Happy Reading and discussing everybody! Spoiler discussion is open for issues 1-4 of Crisis on Infinite Earths!

3 Likes

:grinning: I’m reading to story now, just hope you don’t mind me being behind a bit!

1 Like

You’re right on time @Reaganfan78!
We have a full 7 days to read and discuss 1-4. And actually, we have until Dec. 8th because we are adding an extra 4 issues to the discussion every week. So if anyone joins in the last week, they can discuss all 12 issues. No rush at all!

I just finished re-reading issue 1 tonight.

1 Like
  1. Many characters have been added to the story so far. What character are you hoping to see that may not have been mentioned yet (if any)?
    Wonder Woman

2. What is the most memorable moment to you so far?
    Issue #3, Page 26

1 Like

Welcome to the Crisis @ProActress2O !

Ahhh, yes, good one!

Given, my my profile image, I probably should’ve noticed WW was missing :laughing:, but there is so much going on in this story, I didn’t remember! I’m looking forward to hearing more answers for question 2.

This one’s a show-stopper! Harbinger no! :open_mouth:

Feel free to let us know what you think of the story so far, if you’d like to. Thanks for kicking us off! :smiley:

3 Likes

Bye Earth 3 :cry:

Earth 3 seemed like an awful place though. Luthor is the only hero. Ultraman is running things and creating chaos. But still, this scene is sad, and also it is very good storytelling. For this scene, using less words and a sequence of panels made a bigger emotional impact.

3 Likes

Well, I’ve already read through it, and I know all the major players are already on the board, but I guess Captain Marvel is probably the biggest character who hasn’t been seen yet.

While things are going to really pick up next week, the parts that stood out to me were the Flash’s appearance to Batman and the Joker in the second issue and the interaction with Supergirl and Batgirl in the fourth.

The former is just an iconic sequence and a creepy image. The latter really helps impress on the reader the gravity of the situation, both by showcasing a more down-to-earth interaction and by seeing someone as confident and level-headed as Barbara outright panicking. This is a very hammy, popcorny story, but it has a ton of these small, very human moments that I think set it apart from similar events that tried to follow it.

2 Likes

I think it’s great, it’s a way to get us introduced to what’s going on and also what’s about to happen down the road. And no problem, saw and wanted to read it since I only heard about it before. Also Yeah, when I read through, I thought that and that harbinger has it rough.

1 Like

I still have my original twelve issues of COIE, so I’ve definitely read them before. What struck me rereading #1 is how revolutionary it is. Heroes, villains, worlds, and universes just didn’t die in such seemingly permanent ways before this. There always seemed an out for a later writer to bring them back. In the first 8 pages, like Pariah we are forced to witness the death of a universe up close with the people who inhabit it. Earth 3 with the Crime Syndicate surprisingly plays to the humanity of its villains as first Superwoman and then the rest of the Syndicate go down fighting for their world.

Ultraman, the hero. That’s an incredible start to the Crisis.

3 Likes

Hi! @JeepersItsTheJamags

The Captain! Yes. He’s MIA so far.

Yes! They are really creepy. Poor :flash_hv_2:

Yeah, when Batgirl is freaking out, you know it’s bad. Linda still has hope (bless her heart!).

To add to that note, this moment where Supes hears “fear” in Batman’s voice was so unusual, I had to read it twice to make sure I read it correctly.

I think that’s a great callout.

Welcome to the Crisis!

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Yeah, poor Harbinger. She’s stuck between a rock and a hard place. I feel bad for her too. This is one of the standout moments for me with her in issue 1. She waits to the last moment to save Arion (it made me chuckle because his pride did need a little check. “She’ll learn Arion is no mere pup to be whipped!” then she has to save him :laughing: ).

1 Like

Hi @msgtv,

:tada: :tada: :tada:

It’s so fun hear your perspective on this book from a DC history point of view. It brings a nice flavor, depth, and comic appreciation to the discussion.

:arrow_up: :+1:

Ha! Indeed it is. Thanks for sharing the panel. When I read that panel - for one moment - it made me see Ultraman as a hero (despite his villainous past).

Thanks for sharing and I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts!

1 Like

I’ve been reading it and find the story confusing, I like the part where the crime syndicate doing good for once, and it was sad to see them go.
The Firestorm and Killer Frost romance stuff reminds me of the first season of The Flash!

4 Likes

I’ve read this series so many times I can’t imagine seeing it with fresh eyes. @Reaganfan78, I’m curious, what’s been the most confusing thing for you so far?

3 Likes

Hi @Reaganfan78,

There are a lot of characters and I was confused the first time I read it. I highly recommend HubCityQuestion’s 7 Things You Should Know Before Reading CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS news article.

I’m enjoying it a lot more in the re-read. It does gain momentum in the next third (issues 5-8) .

They crack me up! :laughing:

To echo @ralphsix, if there’s anything in particular that is confusing, let us know, someone might be able help explain.

Thanks for chiming in!

4 Likes

It was how it was started that was confusing like why was each earth was getting destroyed? I don’t want to sound negative or put you guys down. I’ll take your advice JLWWSM on reading HubCityQuestion 7 things you should know before reading this. Thankyou. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Anyone else find it creepy and/or awesome that Ted Kord refers to himself as “Mrs. Kord’s Little Boy” / “Mrs. Blue Beetle’s Little Boy”? So far, that’s my favorite part (though I’m only 3 issues in).

3 Likes

No worries. Questions are great! I may have some questions in the later issues for some of the characters I’m less familiar with.

This part will be revealed in later issues. It’s a pretty cool reveal too :smiley:

1 Like

@MButcher

Welcome to the Community, DCU book club dcubc , and to the discussion !

:raised_hand_with_fingers_splayed: Yes! Me. It stood out to me as well. I read it, re-read it, paused, and said to myself “ohhhkaaayyyy”.

I’m in issue 3 as well.

1 Like