DC Universe:Year One - What Are Your Favorite Moments from September, 2018-Now?

@msgtv, your daughter straight mic-dropped that.

@reload, I love that!! If you want to reach out to fans@dcuniverse.com, I’d be happy to send a Titans care package to your friend group for the launch :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There are so many moments to choose from, but my top favorite moment(s) has been posting on the community forums. I still remember when I didn’t post anything during my first month of membership because I was too shy haha. I love the community because everyone is so friendly and huge fans of DC! Plus, the mods are just plain awesome!

2 Likes

@AppleJack
I totally blanked on Meta Madhouse. (Probably because I’m all Darkseid focused with YJ right now.) So many good memories, and a few I still curse. Darkseid losing head-to-head, mano-a-mono to Flash. Puhleeez!!! I won’t even get into Nightwing taking down Dr. Fate.

I will probably always think of the threads around the MM and how many posts were “if it was a best butt contest Nightwing would win.” In the end, don’t pardon the pun, that’s the final and champion we got.

I do hope next year DCU can team up with CBS Sports and do a real bracket challenge, just like there is for March Madness. Maybe $1 a bracket and all the proceeds go to literacy charities, or some such. I would think a couple of DC writers/artists/editors might be down for doing the seeding.

Meta Madhouse deserves its own madness, and people screaming, not just because Captain Carrot beats out Captain Atom in the sweet sixteen, but it also busts their bracket. And somewhere in the first round a 13 always seems to take out a 5. “What ya mean, Hal Jordan just lost to The Creeper!! No!!! I had Hal advancing to the elite eight!! ARRRRGGGHHH!!!”

Maybe next year it’s Wonder Woman’s Warriors, Batman’s Vigilantes, Superman’s Aliens, & Darkseid’s Deplorables. Although I’d put Orion as the 1 seed and HighFather as the 2 seed, just because of Orion’s greater capacity and penchant for 1 on 1 battle. Think of the rousing debate just over seeding in the brackets!

If you listen carefully, you can already hear the brackets busting. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Finally getting to read all the old comics that I’d read about but hadn’t had the time or funds to get my hands on. Honestly, even the original curated selection was a fun experience for me.

Also, getting involved in the community, having a place to just screw around and to get into arguments about comics with other people who actually care about it.

3 Likes

Young Justice is the reason I subscribed to this survice in the first place when I was looking at what DCU was offering from comics to DCU originals I had to get this app day one of release and after one year of Young Justice, Doom Patrol, Titans, and Swamp Thing I’ve had a blast on this survice! Plus I can’t waiy for Doom Patrol season 2 alongside season 4 of Young Justice and lets not forget the arrivals of Harley Quinn and Stargirl arriving this year!

4 Likes

The Fan Event in March. Nothing else comes close.

Well…the addition of the full DC Universe portion of the digital comics library was FBA, so that’s a favorite too.

But yeah, the Fan Event. Hopefully there will be another one next year, and on a more intimate scale with a smaller number of folks but with as much or more to do.

5 Likes

Fav Moments:

1. 1st time login on DC Universe! Going thru all the goodness and creating my List was so cool. I had issues with my username and got impatient :grimacing: but Support was super quick + nice! :raised_hands:
  2. Watching the 1st episode of Titans was sooo dope!
  3. Watching the 1st episode of Doom Patrol was :exploding_head:
  4. Enjoying The Super Yule Log with the Fam over the Holidays!
  5. Finally (don’t judge ha) reading Batman: Under the Hood! :heart: the movie
    Thanks DCU for an amazing Year One! Def looking forward to Year Two and beyond! :bat:
4 Likes

@Vroom I’ll remember that fan event for the rest of my life. One of the best days I’ve ever had, and the happiest I’ve been to be a DC fan.

3 Likes

Meta Madhouse was INSANE, and I LOVED every aching moment of it. It could definitely use some tweaks for next year, but I definitely WANT there to be a next year.

@MisfitH: Your trivia championship was well earned! As was yours, @DeSade-acolyte. I plan to keep running it as long as there continues to be a forum for me to do so.

3 Likes

@HCQ Ditto. It’s already one of my all-time favorite moments in my tenure as a DC fan.

2 Likes

So many great moments on DC Universe I don’t even know where to begin. But I will try.

• My first big thrill of this service was seeing Superboy the series was on here. I loved the show as a teenager but due to the rights issues it never aired on TV anywhere after it’s intial reading and never got the DVD’s or bought them on Amazon on demand as the price on Demand was to high. So getting to finally see it again after all those years was a real treat gong out of the gate. It is a large part of why I joined in the very beginning. Yeah, it shows it’s age but such a rush of nostalgia I was beginning to think I would never have the chance to see again.

• The comic drop. An easy answer but I never dared imagine, especially that soon after launch we would get so many comics at once. As someone who loves comics but can’t afford weekly trips to the comic shop anymore, that was a huge deal to me.

• Finding the community forums. I have been part of many online communities and on many forums in my days of being on the internet since the 90’s (and the BBS’s of old before) but this one truly is something special.

• The first time I saw someone post about their community heroes package. Was so cool to see a service giving back to the fans in that way.

• Falling in love with Doom Patrol. When I first heard the announcement of their original programing, Doom Patrol was the one I was least excited about. Was never a fan of the comics. But I watched it because was going to give any new shows a try on here. And from the first episode I was into this show, that premiere was near perfection. But I think it was episode 3 I realized this was going to be one of my favorite shows, The scene switching between Larry confronting the negative spirit, Robotman’s battle and Janes confrontation with the villain just scremed that this show was both going to be omething strange and something truly amazing. To go in with such more or less low expectations and then fall in love with the show over the course of the next four months was an awesome experience.

I could probably go on, but will stop there. In truth from top to bottom this has truly been such a great year on this service.

4 Likes

The DCU originals exceeded my expectations, DC Daily being my “nightly news” after work, and getting to do a deep dive in some of the comics I missed in the Marines, or runs from before I was born. Here’s to year two…wait is Reaper coming? :four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

D’oh! I forgot to highlight the Community Hero recognition program.

A service handing out free swag as a means of saying “Thanks for being you and what you add to the community.” is really sweet and puts DCU far, far ahead of the curve.

So, my Top Three:

1. The Fan Event
  2. The addition of the full digital comics library
  3. The Community Hero recognition program

Honorable Mention: Filmation Aquaman in HD. So, so cool!

6 Likes

@Vroom I forgot too! I was so happy when I got the email on a Monday morning. It made my day!

I also forgot about the premiere screenings for Doom Patrol and Swamp Thing. I was fortunate enough to attend both. It was so amazing seeing the cast and watching the first two episodes. I got free burgers, fries, and a drink from the Habit, and was able to meet some of the DC Universe Community members and Applejack!

4 Likes

Growing up, I never had access to comics, but thanks to DC Universe, I’ve been able to wade through a lot of stuff I missed out on. Tim’s the only long-lasting Robin (sorry Steph) that I only knew about from reading bios and stuff since whenever he showed up, it was either as Jason in everything but name only (DCAU) or so underutilized that it’s basically criminal (YJ), and when I saw that his Red Robin solo series was disappearing back in February, I decided to read it, and I loved it, so much so that when the 20,000+ comics dropped, I decided to go on the ultimate binge-reading marathon and read as much as I can of Tim Drake, from the moment he first showed up, all the way until the New 52 came and did things to his character that I’m not fond of. I haven’t quite finished yet (I’m taking time off to read Paul Dini’s Detective Comics run, and wow is it good), but I’ve gained a new love and understanding for not just Tim, but for both Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain as well. There was only ONE part I didn’t like while reading through all that, and if you know the history behind Tim’s monthly Robin series you know exactly what I mean (hint: 1 Year Later), but yeah, otherwise it’s been fantastic. So when’s that “Think You Know Tim Drake?” happening? :wink:

4 Likes

What stands out for me is community and caring. Let me be very real for a moment and say that for much of my life I have been treated as an outcast, told I wasn’t good enough by the people that should have built me up. I came to DC Universe expecting to just give to company I loved, but instead found myself getting from the company recognition as a positive light. No one in my life had ever said that to me. “Community Hero” made me think they had hit send to the wrong person. Here is where I say too much, which I am good at in life. March hit. I had literally prayed and said if I didn’t get a sign soon that I was meant to be on the planet I was going to end it all. I got a letter from DC Universe about the fan event. I had initially missed the deadline I believed, but they said they still had a spot. I said that I would hold off until after the event. I met these other DC geeks, they all know who they are. I felt like I had met my people finally. I saw myself though in pictures and realized I was unhappy. You could see it all over my face. The fan event literally changed my life and kept me alive. It allowed me to see myself again. If DC could want to give me such an experience and say such nice things about me maybe the people that had called me worthless were wrong. I was allowed to enjoy this life. Now, even though I can’t always participate due to schedule, I feel like I have a place to belong with other comic book nerds. So I don’t mention the fan event to gloat, but because of the power it had for me in a pretty dark moment of my life.

Now enough sappy and oversharing. Some other things I have loved was participating in the mega Batman WAL shortly after the fan event. Hearing people’s witty comments during it was funny and to this day I remember Madonna nipple cones on a character in one of the films thanks to all the comments.

I remember seeing this year the hard work put into book club by two of our community members, they know who they are. Getting to touch parts of the DCU I may never have gotten to otherwise because of them. I love getting to read other people’s opinions over the comics on here. Book club always delivers!

Also I am loving the 20,000 comics on here. Getting to read comics I never probably would have ever been able to afford. I have gotten to get recommendations from community members and found different books that I may never have read otherwise. Y’all love to recommend me some Batman, but I still have found some good comics in there. Aztek was awesome. All-Star Superman became one of my favorite books ever! In the next year I hope to get even more recommendations and touch parts of the DCU I haven’t yet.

The last thing is the humongous heart of lead mod @Applejack. The only person I am flat out naming in this post. Thank you for simply being you!

10 Likes

@biff_pow’s- I mean, some mysterious poster’s- thread exposing the hidden truth that Darkseid is a big wuss. That was when I realized he’s the funniest guy here.

4 Likes

I think I’ll say i like the comic expansion. Monthly there are so many comics, and it can be too expensive to buy them all. Or they become hard to get a hold of. There are comics that I just was late and I just didn’t feel like I should add more to my monthly comic spending. I do wish there were more movies but it is what it is. Still great. I enjoy dc daily.

3 Likes

I want to say everything. For me personally, it was when I got invited to a DC Universe event & got to meet so many amazing people. It’s one of the greatest moments of my life & I’m forever grateful to Applejack for that. I still remember when the site launched. I was so excited exploring through the service looking through all the content. I very much enjoy the community. Seeing everyone’s posts & loving a lot of the positive reactions & posts on here. I love DC Fans almost as much as I love DC itself. A lot of wonderful people. I’m very happy to be a DC Universe member. I’m already excited for year 2! Go DC!!!

5 Likes

So far my favorite has been Swamp Thing. I also enjoy seeing the DC animated films and older series. This site is a lot of fun and has a ton of content.

3 Likes