DC Universe Superman Book Club Week 6: Zero Hour and the Beginning of Tomorrow

If you’re version of “Brazzers” is the “Brazzers” that came to my mind, then no, but yes. :wink:

I won’t make the joke that just came to mind. Instead, I’ll simply muse about whether some sad fan has created Brazzaro to fulfill Rule 34.

1 Like

And now I have to ask myself, “am I that sad?”

1 Like

Nah, we’re all shiny happy people.

dances to the song entitled “Shiny Happy People”

1 Like

Hilarious cover to my dirty, gutter-drawn mind aside, I really enjoyed that first issue with all the Batmen. It was really cool to see because it looked like it took panels from the likes of Frank Miller, Neil Adams, Bob Kane (or whoever ghost-drew for Bob Kane) and many others. I would love to see some behind the scenes looks at how they did that.

3 Likes

@Jay_Kay That issue was alot of fun. It was fun to suss out the assorted Batmen on the cover.

Bog did a great job at maintaining the different art styles for each Batman throughout the issue too.

I finally finished reading group 1, now to group 2. I really can’t help but feel sorry for Superman! :confused:

1 Like

@Reaganfan78 You probably won’t feel sorry for Superman in group 2. :wink:

1 Like

I really enjoyed the Man of Steel issues #0, Why? 3 of my old action figures as a kid must be based on this comic, Clark Kent, Superman and the villain Conduit, I think that was his name, I had a blast playing those toys making my own Superman episodes. :superman_hv_3:

1 Like

@Reaganfan78, this will likely look familiar to you. The one and only Conduit action figure (eBay photo):

Kenner’s Superman: Man of Steel line was largely based on assorted contemporary Superman storylines, with Conduit serving as the line’s initial villain.

2 Likes

Yup that’s the toy! After just finishing reading 2 #0 comics, he reminds me of Hush, Poor Bruce and Clark their best friends from school days ended up being a villain!

2 Likes

Agreed. It goes without saying that Hush had a wee bit more impact than Conduit did.

Parker Lewis may not lose, but Kenny Braverman did.

2 Likes

Regarding the recently released Superman Giant #1 I highlighted late last week, if anyone’s a fan of writer Robert Venditti (Green Lantern, The Flash, Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps and the continually wonderful Hawkman, among other titles), you owe it to yourself to check out his story in the issue.

The world needs more of Venditti’s Man of Steel.

1 Like

Now that I finished reading and watching the episode I’m ready to make my report. :superman_hv_6:

1. I actually read 2 groups of the story, while I read Superman story for Zero hours, I’d probably should read the other heroes story to understand what happened next, my favorite part was when Superman met with so many different versions of Batman, I was hoping he would’ve met Batman from the animated series, guess that only happened in The Batman Adventures #25! Anyway that was really fun to read.
  2. Well Doc I have to say that’s pretty heavy! I should’ve never left Jennifer…wait sorry, It was interesting, for Superman in the comic I couldn’t help but feel Sorry for Superman, meanwhile Lois’ adventures was like a mix of a Twilight Zone met Alfred Hitchcock thriller. They both make a interesting what if.
  3. When Superman met his Parents, that was heartbreaking! I really wish he could’ve spent time knowing them and they were gone! :pleading_face::cry:
    Well there you have it, great choice @Vroom! :slightly_smiling_face:
1 Like

Great Scott, @Reaganfan78! That was a swell BTTF reference. :ok_hand:

Your mention of Hitchcock makes my imagination swirl with the ideas of what he would have done with a DC movie. The Master would’ve been most welcome within the cinematic annals of DC moviedom.

Thanks for chiming in Reagan (and for bringing up the Kenner Superman: Man of Steel line. :wink:)! :+1:

1 Like

Doomsday Clock #12, folks. If you want the best new release that features Superman this week, get it.

“Wow” just isn’t a big enough word to describe it.

1 Like

I read the Zero tie-ins, Without reading Zero Hour itself the stories were all a little choppy to me in places where they connected to the event but I enjoyed them. I think my favorite was Action #703. Just seeing a different version of Smallville was something else. There was something in each story though that I enjoyed. Supes dealing with multiple Batmen, meeting his parents from another timeline, fighting alongside Alpha Centurion. These were all good things that stood out to me. The Batmen constantly changing and being aware of it was funny.

Actually they both did but then again stories with timelines going all timey wimey are fun to me and most of the time I enjoy them too.

I’ve only read a few alternate timeline Superman stories and those were mainly in connection with N52’s Earth 2 and Val Zod whose a version of Superman that I would have liked to read more about. What stood out to me about his stories there was the fact that he was a pacifist but when push came to shove he was still able to fight for his Earth and protect its people.

1 Like
  1. I read the books from Group 1. I think my favorite was the Batman issue where the three Batmen kept changing. I also like the fact it was alternate realities blending together. I remember seeing the Superman on the spinner rack where he sees the Alpha-Centurion statue. The story where the Kent’s neighbor killed the newborn Clark was really interesting. I myself have actually never read Zero Hour.

2. I didn’t watch the episode yet since I’m currently on lunch break.

3. I’m pretty much on board for any alternate Superman tale whether its DC, Marvel, Dynamite, or even in movie form ie Brightburn.

1 Like

I was feeling the brave & boldness mentioned, thus read 'em all. I liked the Zero Hour batch more than Peer Pressure. Apologies, but I was never a fan of Conduit. He only has the one emotion and his design just doesn’t do it for me.

I do, though, have some love for Alpha Centurian. Poor Clarky, almost getting arrested for kissing his lady.

I’m going to go with the really thin guy from Flashpoint since it was suck a different take on the mythos.

2 Likes

@JasonTodd428 Alpha Centurion and the ever changing Batmen were highlights for me too.

I really dig Alpha Centurion and how featured of a character he came to be in the Superman line from the mid to late 90’s.

Time travel stories are always fun, regardless of whether the science works out. Brave New Metropolis was a stand-out episode.

@hotstufflouieb I haven’t seen Brightburn, but being a big Superman nerd, I’ll see it once it hits cable or streaming. From what I’ve read, the flick sounds a bit…messy in some aspects.

@ralphsix Ah, an indulgence of one’s inner Brave and The Bold! Glad to hear it, m’boy!

Fun Fact about Flashpoint: Project Superman: It was written by Scott Snyder, writer of Superman Unchained and oodles o’ other books.

The man may be known for Batman, but he cuts a nice Superman jig too.

Thanks for your comments folks!

1 Like