DC Universe PLEASE purchase Krypton!!! (#saveKrypton)

I wish there was this much passion to save actual comic books when a series gets cancelled.

@DanTheManOne1

Netflix Marvel series came in around 40 million a piece. But there was very little cgi costs. I’d estimate Krypton would range about $45-50 million.

@DeSade-acolyte

That’s insane! $40 million each season? Those Marvel Netflix shows looked extremely cheap. The actors weren’t A-list either. Where was that money going?

@DeSade-acolyte
That I could but you said hundreds of millions, that seemed high since shows Netflix has cancelled for budget reasons don’t run that high. I mean don’t know if they can afford it or not, but not sure I believe it is the high budget Swamp Thing was.

Krypton already has major set pieces in place, they’ve shown they know how to manage CGI costs, they won’t have to pay character licensing fees as they already own the characters and they could share streaming rights with another company if they had to reduce costs further. I feel it’s completely do able if the DCU wants to do it.

1 Like

I’ll stand by my earlier comment and restate HBO is the best chance, it has more capital available; while it’s highly unlikely that DCU could save it and continue the series that are in production. It just doesn’t make enough money at the moment.

1 Like

Krypton’s EP gave this look at what season 3 would look like.

https://comicbook.com/dc/2019/08/19/krypton-ep-releases-chilling-preview-of-the-shows-cancelled-thir/

#savekrypton

I find #savekrypton kinda weird and funny. Nobody can save Krypton. The planet blows up at the end. Lol.

2 Likes

tbh with limited time we’ve been so busy and the only thing we could manage to squeeze in is Swamp Thing. We liked season 1 of Krypton and will watch it On Demand. Although it is competing with our time to catch up on Stranger Things and going back to watch GT. We will eventually finish Krypton S2. We liked the first episode of season 2, thought it was great.

@edot haha

I really loved this show too and was crushed to find out it was cancelled on SyFy. This is the perfect place for Krypton. Our own little bottle city to enjoy future seasons. Please bring this show to DCUniverse.

I think that’s the better answer. Rather than #savekrpton Start a new series called Kandor.

Krypton was decent enough, but I just couldn’t get emotionally invested in the show, because we know it’s gonna explode, so pretty much everything is kinda pointless in the end.

Kandor would be interesting because depending on various continuities it has either been restored or not. So we don’t know it’s final fate.

@DeSade I felt pretty much the same about Pennyworth; we know in the end he would be alone working for the Waynes, who both get killed leaving Alfred to raise their son. The story could have been fun but as some online reviews have stated it went unnecessarily over the top. I was out after episode 2’s execution scene.

I can’t believe how much I ended up liking this show (it took me three attempts to get into it: when it first premiered, when season 1 showed up on SyFy.com, and then finally when it debuted on DC Universe) and I’d definitely like to see the plot threads from the S2 finale get resolved. But I’m not sure DC Universe or HBO Max are going to be in the ‘saving canceled shows’ business. Except for Young Justice, everything they’ve developed so far as been a new show (Titans started out as a TNT series, but it never went to air). I think we’ve gotten so used to Netflix picking up canceled shows that we take it for granted WB would be interested in doing it, but historically it was pretty rare even for a new network to revive a show that got the axe. To us, bringing back Krypton and putting it on DC Universe makes perfect sense – we’re the perfect audience. But I think WB/DC is a lot more likely to spend money developing new shows for this service than sinking money into shows that (fair or not) didn’t succeed on their original network.

That being said, I think handing the producers’ outline for season 3 to a capable writer and artist and producing a limited series digital only DC Universe exclusive comic book would be a great way to wrap up the story.

1 Like

@mrmiracle I have no idea if DC Universe or even HBO MAX would be interested in reviving Krypton and the argument they have not been in the business of saving revived shows is valid. (although should probably be noted the only shows cancelled recently enough to realistically be considered when DCU launched that were not animated are Powerless and Human Target. And while both I feel are quality shows not like it was shocking they didn’t last long).

But the one difference between your thing about a new network and going from a Network to a streaming service is that most shows (even now in the new way we consume media, and especially a show like Krypton that the network didn’t make themselves), is that they usually are cancelled because of add revenue. Networks make most of their money on add revenue so if Krypton didn’t get enough viewers to make enough off adds on SyFy then it is a good reason for any network to give pause. But when going to a streaming service, especially DCU the reasons for making it change. The shows are more about if they can nab a good international deal and how many subscribers it would draw in and/or keep by airing it.

Now I have no idea if Krypton would perform satisfactory on DCU as I have no idea how it would do finding an international deal, and how current international deals would factor in, and how many fans it could expect to bring in… Krypton was not exactly made on a tiny budget so would have to be a lot I am sure to justify just relying on it bringing in and keeping subscribers. So it may still not be doable even if DCU were to consider it. But Network and Streaming servicves have different expectations for their shows, so not working on one wouldn’t necessarily rule out the other.

1 Like

@DanTheManOne1 Agreed, network and streaming services have different metrics for success. But both are motivated by the same end goal: to make money. So unless DC Universe thinks making a third season will drive up subscriptions or help keep people who are already signed up, I’m not sure they’d do it.

But who knows, maybe season 1 got lots of views when they added it and they’re just waiting to see how season 2 does. Or maybe it’s worth it to them to have another Superman show on the service while they wait for Hulu’s rights to Smallville to expire.

I’m more asking the question, “Will DC Universe be a streamer like Netflix that looks to continue shows that didn’t succeed in their original home?” They certainly could, and Krypton could be a good test case (I’d say Constantine too, but Matt Ryan is tied up in the Arrowverse). But they could also be a company that says “We develop our own shows, and only acquire the existing seasons of other DC-related programming.” Time will tell.

I think the biggest challenge would be the fact its reported ratings were so low. It’s hard to see any network picking it up.