DC Universe is the best comic streaming service, here's why

Aw, thanks for chiming in, @KingHellsign! We always think of our lurkers when creating community content, too :smiley: You don’t have to be extroverted to be a part of our zany little digital space. Glad to have you :heart:

DCU was at NYCC last year, and I would bet you can expect to see us there again this year!

5 Likes

Lurking is cool, but it’s a friendly group so join in whenever you want

In terms of iOS experience, Marvel Unlimited is still better than DCU. The organization is much neater and it’s way easier to find things. Comics you’ve already read are checkmarked, which makes it very easy to return to series you’ve taken long breaks from. And the Marvel comic reader is much less slippery than DC’s. If I hold my iPad sideways and try to simply scroll down to see the bottom half of the page, it’ll register as a swipe when I lift my finger and takes me to the next page. This happens frequently, which can get pretty irritating.

I do enjoy both Marvel and DC. But when reading on an iPhone/iPad, Marvel Unlimited takes the edge.

2 Likes

I’ve had more glitches with MU on iOS than DCU, plus DCU has everything else. One feature MU has I’d like to see added is a alphabet bar to the right so you can tap “h” and go straight to the series that start with h

2 Likes

I’ve had equally glitchy experiences. There are just some times when things don’t want to work.

Like the OP, I’m comparing JUST the comic-reading aspects, not the individual apps as a whole.

2 Likes

I enjoy both this service and MU. They are the only 2 services I visit on a near daily basis. I do not subscribe to any other service. If there is a show I want to watch on something else, I will pay for a month and cancel as soon as I am done watching.
This service beats MU hands down. Obviously there are shows on here to watch, but even without them, DCU is better ( and this is coming from someone who grew up almost exclusively as a Marvel fan ). It feels like we are listened to on here. When DCU started out, there were some bumps in the road ( honestly, to be expected ). There was quite a bit of feedback and DCU took a lot of that feedback to make this a better place to be. MU does not have that. On MU there is a place to contact them, but to be honest, I feel like I would have better luck asking DCU to make a certan change on MU :slight_smile:
Don’t get me wrong, I love MU also. But if I was forced to choose just one, it would be DCU

3 Likes

Preach it!

2 Likes

As someone else who was out of the loop for almost a decade, I agree. It great to be able to jump into a comic and read a little, even just a couple panels, when I’m waiting for something and have my place saved for me.
Also, I’ve never been one to want a tablet. Actually was given one for some reason several years ago and never used it. This app makes me want to look into a tablet.

3 Likes

What I have found that helps me to find what is next or what came out when, I use this site. It is a DC Wiki site. This link takes you to December 2011. You can change the month and the year in the site address and it wil bring up the list of issues that came out that month. Be sure to spell out and capitalize the month. ie: Category:2016,_September

2 Likes

I subscribed in the first place for the WB DC animation, which has (almost) always been great. DOOM PATROL was a big, and most welcome, surprise.

I finally have been able to read the complete Alan Moore SWAMP THING, and wow.

I fell back in love with Superman all over again, and am once again inspired by his existence.

I bought a refurbished Amazon Fire, and the DC app is available, and works perfectly. The Marvel app is unavailable, and even though I sideloaded Google Play and installed the Marvel app, it didn’t work at all.

I contacted Marvel, and they got back to me and said that their app doesn’t work on the Fire. I sent the Fire back and got a $60 Android tablet, so I can at least use the Marvel app.

However, I spend most of my time right here.

4 Likes

I have to sing the praises of the comics section. I remember people were saying the comics at launch were few, but I thought it was a pretty good selection. I read them on my tablet and thanks to the app on Apple TV, I was reading comics on my television. Let me tell you, when you’re home sick, that’s a godsend! But then April rolled around and every week they uploaded thousands of new comics. By month’s end, we had an impressive library. There were comics I hadn’t seen in years on here and there were newer books I wanted to try but didn’t have the money to read.

If memory serves, in April the count was 20,000-25,000 comics in the library. With new comics added every week, I’d imagine that number’s gone up. The point is, there’s so much wonderful stuff to read here. I’m honestly dumbfounded how awesome this is.

Seriously, thank you DC Universe. You spoil us :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@KingHellsign Really glad you share with us!

@GL-Batophobia is really worth getting a tablet for it. I’m really happy I did, no regret so far.

@oldrocker99 I got the fire hd 10 and was able to sideload google play and MU successfully is sad to hear it did’t work for you, but finding a pure android tablet for only 60 dollar was a nice deal. To be honest I got mine because it have a 10’ screen and that’s the closer to a real comic size that I can afford at the moment, it cost me 99 dollars, else I would have go pure android like you did.

2 Likes

@Wilks That gave me an idea to decide what to read when I’m overwhelm, like a time machine of sort, for example, pick a month an only choose 5 comics from that month to read. Like going shopping back then, Thanks for sharing it!

2 Likes

This is how I catch up on stories I missed now. Since I started with Batman now I want to read other stories from other characters and this service has really helped me with that. Thanks DCU for the service and keep up the great work.

3 Likes

I will agree as soon as I dont spend 5 minutes downloading a comic only for it to not work because I am “offline.” Whats the point in downloading comics if I still need to be online to read them? [×]

2 Likes

Had to chime and and also praise DC Universe for the amazing service they provide. There were kinks and glitches along the way but feel that DC has worked hard and quickly to fix any such problems that we’ve seen. I’m especially happy how books that I read monthly will automatically appear in my currently reading section once the next issue is posted so I don’t have to track them down like on Marvel Unlimited. When you finish a run it removes it from your currently reading list too which also isn’t done on the other service so it keeps the list clean and concise to what we need. So happy with the service for the comics and shows available. The new shows have all been AMAZING and I’ve been having so much fun binging all the classic animated series and movies. Best service out there and only improvement would be a possible 6 month wait for the comics rather than 12…

6 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having connection issues! If you have time, can you reach out to our Customer Support center and let them know? They may be able to provide a solution or at least an estimate on when you can expect improvement. You can submit a ticket to them here: yourdcu. com/submit

1 Like

“Hey DCU, can you upload the newest Captain America issue? Marvel Unlimited had a delay.” :laughing:

3 Likes

Looks like everybody here is saying the same thing I’m thinking. Hands down this service goes the extra step to make it a great app. This definitely beats Comixology and Marvel Unlimited by many, many miles! I find it silly that people start comparing this to Netflix or Disney+, but it’s not catering to that market at all.

4 Likes

It’s so nice to see all of the positive feedback. This just reminds me how absolutely amazing our Community is, we really do have the best members here!

6 Likes