DC Subscriptions

The last time I had a DC subscription through the mail was back when Empire Strikes Back was soon to be released. I got a Marvel subscription to Star Wars. I ended up not getting my first issue until Luke and the gang arrived at Cloud City and my subscription was one issue short by the time it ended. I only got 11 issues. It being the 80’s, it was more difficult to complain and would take weeks to get a response so I didn’t bother.

I’m currently spending too much on comics so I was looking for the cheapest way to enjoy physical comics. It’s hard to pass up $3 an issue w/ free shipping 2 weeks before the release date. The fear, of course, is damage to the issue during delivery but I’ve convinced myself I’m just a reader, not a collector/seller. I can deal with a bent book every now and then.

I’ve tried an online service that gave a 35% discount but charged 6-8+ bucks in shipping. You have to buy at least 5 or more comics to feel any kind of discount. Of course, they all have bags and boards and delivered in a box that is not easily bent.

As a result, this month I have subscribed to Action Comics and Superman this month. I anticipate I will start receiving them in April. Have any of you subscribed through DC.com? If so, how was your experience?

6 Likes

The cheapest way that also gives what you want is to pool your money with friends. Then share the comics.

4 Likes

That’s good if you have friends and if they like comics. I have no irl friends that read comics

6 Likes

Try and make friends like that at the comic book store. That is the only advice I have.

5 Likes

It’s a good idea; however, I would want to own them. I’m willing to share but I would want to end up with the books. Also, my friends are all table top RPG players. They’re not interested in comics.

4 Likes

That approach worked tremendously well for Bart Simpson, Martin Prince and Milhouse Van Houten going-on 33 years ago.

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with the episode but knowing the characters, I assume it did not go well.

2 Likes

“Three Men and a Comic Book”; season 2, episode 21.

I won’t spoil a great episode for you of course, but between Bart, Milhouse and Martin pooling their bread together for Radioactive Man #1, its ultimately someone else that gets their paws on the mag.

2 Likes

Methinks there is a clue in the last part of that sentence. Allow me to pause…and think about it. Am I barking up the wrong tree?

2 Likes

I ron’t rhoh, Raggy.

2 Likes

For anyone who may be interested, I noticed today that there are 2 new titles on the Subscription List. They are as follows:

This one is a 12 month limited series.

This one is 6 issues.

Since they are short runs, they won’t be on the list long.

I also noticed that my April Superman and Action Comics have been processed. Hopefully I will receive them shortly. At least I’m hoping the Superman comic is the April one. It’s awful early for that one to be mailed I’m afraid they may be sending me the March issue. I had already ordered that one from another source. I’ll end up with 2 of them.

3 Likes

I used to get some of my comics through DC’s subscriptions and I didn’t like it. They always came in good condition but they were usually weeks late. I actually am missing two issues that I have just have given up on getting because I think they have been lost in the mail. But they were the last two issues I had through that service so I don’t really care at this point.

It is cheaper but it wasn’t worth the hassle to me. I hope your experience is better!

2 Likes

I appreciate you letting me know. That’s disappointing that you received them late. They advertise them being mailed really early. I assumed they would come to me like an Entertainment Weekly magazine or something like that. When I subscribed to that mag, it was pretty regular on the mailing. Well, here’s hoping for the best.

3 Likes