DC Silver Age Artist Joe Giella Has Passed On

Joe Giella, who inked both Carmine Infantino and Gil Kane during the Silver Age, has died at age 94. At DC in the late Forties. he worked on characters handled by editor Julius Schwartz, including The Flash, Green Lantern, and Black Canary.With the Silver Age he returned to inking superheroes. including work on Batman titles and inking Gil Kane on the title Green Lantern. Perhaps his most famous work was inking “Flash of Two Worlds” in The Flash no. 123 (September 1961), which reintroduced Jay Garrick and introduced Earth-Two.

12 Likes

How sad. Thankfully, his work will live on so he will not be forgotten. Thanks for sharing.

8 Likes

This is sad news. Giella helped create many of the most memorable Silver Age covers, including for some of my favorite Flash issues. Here’s a fun fact for ya: He continued to make variants into his nineties.

Here’s a fun retrospective of some of his Batman covers I came across.

7 Likes

My condolences to his family. I always enjoyed his work with Kane and Infantino.

7 Likes

One of the greatest cover artists of all time. Rest in peace Mr. Giella.

6 Likes

Definitely a huge loss. He was a fantastic artist. My condolences to his family, friends, and fans everywhere.

This is one of my fave covers of his:

8 Likes

Sad to hear. Wishing the best to his friends and family :shamrock::+1:

4 Likes

A true giant of the industry who brought joy to so many for so many years. When you think of DC Silver Age comics, Joe is one of the creatives whose name always comes to mind.
My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.

5 Likes

RIP Good Sir!

5 Likes

This was sad news to me when I first read it. I’m impressed the longevity (and variety) of his career, since he worked on the comic strip Mary Worth for 25 years, retiring in 2016. It’s great to be able to keep doing something you’re great at and enjoy for so long, especially when you leave a legacy like his.

5 Likes

Rest in Aloha to a Silver Age great. His body of work is a legacy that he will leave behind for generations to come.

3 Likes

Love his art, glad he lived a long life! RIP :00_flash: :batman: :00_lc_green_lantern:

4 Likes

tips his hat Mr. Giella’s way

Thank you for your great work, good sir.

SN: Please tell Julie and Carmine that the fans say “hello”.

3 Likes