DC Reveals First Look And New Details Of 'I AM NOT STARFIRE'

Next summer, New York Times bestselling author Mariko Tamaki is teaming up with talented artist Yoshi Yoshitani to debut I Am Not Starfire, an original young adult (YA) graphic novel that follows Mandy, the daughter of Starfire, as she navigates the highs and lows of high school along with the pressure of having a DC Super Hero for a mom.

Check out what Mariko and Yoshi have to say about “I Am Not Starfire” and their collaboration, as well as some more sneak peeks at the amazing artwork!

Mariko said, “I wanted to work on a book about finding power in what you are (versus focusing on what you aren’t)." Which got us thinking about our favorite DC characters and their powerless loved ones. Relationships like:

• Superman & Lois Lane - Who, only recently, are seen more as equals with Supes not having to rescue Lois every 5 minutes

• Wonder Woman & Steve Trevor - They’ve been equals from the beginning, for the most part, although WW is known to be a little protective

• Poison Ivy & Harley Quinn - Complete equals. Both are seen as equal supervillains in their own right as well, even though Harley’s only “superpower” is pure insanity

What are some DC character relationships you can think of that have this unique dynamic of superpowered/powerless? Let us know in the comments below!

22 Likes

Neat!

5 Likes

Would platonic relationships work for the question?

4 Likes

This looks pretty cool! I may give it a shot, especially if it shows up on DCUI.

To answer the question: Green Arrow and Black Canary.

8 Likes

Barry Allen (The Flash) and Iris West-Allen

And this looks great. I’ll have to look it up when it comes out.

7 Likes

Batman and Superman. Sure they squabble but there best buds.

As for this. Looks awesome™:+1:. The art is amazing.

8 Likes

Tim Drake and Kon-El :stars: :stars: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

8 Likes

Lois has always been Clark’s equal–or even better when it comes to journalism. She’s the best investigative reporter in the world. She’s never taken anyone’s crap when going after a story, and if throughout the decades she needed Supes to come to her rescue it was usually because she was about to blow the lid off corporate and political scandals, organized crime, and super-villains. She’s done more with less (that is not having super powers or some gimmick) than any other supporting character in the history of the medium. Her only equal would be Alfred Pennyworth.
And for the record, it’s not demeaning to be saved by Superman. That’s his job.

7 Likes

Definitely Red Hood and Bizarro from Rebirth back when the creative team had no problems with them being a team with a bonding family dynamic.

4 Likes

DC has been absolutely on fire (pun intended) with these amazing female-centric YA novels. Can’t wait for more! :purple_heart:

9 Likes

I hated is so much when they broke up. They were such a great family of outlaws.

3 Likes

Me too, Jaytemis is unnecessary, at least in my opinion, as well as Isabel, we do not need her.

3 Likes

Green Lantern/Green Arrow

5 Likes

Big Barda and Mr. Miracle
Apollo and Midnighter
Tim Drake and Stephanie Brown

6 Likes

Didn’t mind jaytemis much but liked them more as good friends. I barely knew much of isebel since I haven’t read the previous RH stuff yet only rebirth on here so didn’t really know much to care​:sweat_smile:

2 Likes

You didn’t miss much. And I agree on the good friends thing. I just can’t see them together romantically.

2 Likes

Green Arrow and Black Canary came to my mind as well. Then I started thinking about that period of time where she didn’t have powers but if I remember correctly they weren’t doing great at that time.

4 Likes

Dick Grayson and Wally West

6 Likes

Blue Beetle (Ted Kord) and Booster Gold

5 Likes

Titans Together!

3 Likes