DC Pride Book Club | Nº10 | Teen Titans + Titans ('16) | Feb. 3-Mar. 1

I could see what you mean. It just struck me when his mom said “boys” as in plural. To me, his mom was pointing out all of the things people were aware of like his “tattoos”, bleached hair, and that he was dating boys. You could be right though, and it’s something only his mom is aware of. I still haven’t read ahead so I don’t know, but it’d be interesting to see if Jackson comes out to the Titans right away. I also keep forgetting the Titans are based out of San Francisco, so that could lead to some more stories for Jackson.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t remember much about how Jackson comes out to the Titans if any. I do remember him coming out to…one character in particular who’s reaction is pretty priceless, but I won’t spoil it for you. :laughing:

1 Like

Okay, now I’m excited to read that.

I’m hoping Jackson and Wally develop a strong friendship/have more scenes together. It’s awesome seeing two black characters on a team in a high profile team book. I love that we got to see more POC in the Justice League and more black members and I’m loving that also being the case in this book.

2 Likes

Oh definitely, that is something you don’t get to see too often.

Speaking of Wally, I also like that for once we have a Kid Flash/Raven potential romance arc that doesn’t rely on creepy mind control and angst for once!

1 Like

Yeah, that’s a good point about the previous Wally/Raven stuff from the past. :sweat_smile:

I kind of wish Raven’s design would change. I’m not a fan.

Also, what did everyone think of the shark mutant prisoners? I liked the action scenes, but it’s kind of sad that those people would rather be mutated shark creatures than spend any more time in that prison. Could you imagine how bad that would have been had King Shark transformed prisoners in Gotham. Shark Riddler, Shark Penguin, etc.

I kind of dig the Raven design here – feels like a nice mix of superhero and demonic. I do tend to prefer the classic design or the one from TT:TAS.

Yeah, Shark’s prisoner army was pretty interesting and kind of sad. I forget exactly how he says it, but the whole “Take out my army if you want, I can always find more” felt like a dig at the sort of prisoner-industrial complex we see nowadays.

1 Like

For sure. The way King Shark just uses them for labor and then is ready to toss them out/let them die is very sad. What’s worse is King Shark is just going to move on and continue doing it to others. I’ve gotten so used to loving him on the Harley animated show, this reminded me, “Nope, villain.”

Re: Raven, maybe I’m just not used to it yet. I like it more than the New 52 version! :smiley:

2 Likes

Harley King Shark is a precious cinnamon roll that must be protected at all cost. Comics King Shark is a crunchy burnt up roll that needs to be tossed in the trash.

Raven’s New 52 costume I thought worked when she started, under the demonic influence of Trigon, but I think they could have toned it down a bit once she became part of the Titans for real.

3 Likes

Harley King Shark is a precious cinnamon roll that must be protected at all cost

This is perfect. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

KingShark_HQAS KingShark_HQAS KingShark_HQAS

Sad the episodes are almost over, but we’ve gotten some great characters from it

3 Likes

Week two discussion questions are up as well as the reading for the rest of the month!

As always, share your thoughts and favorite panels on the reading overall.
:flash_hv_1: :flash_hv_1: :flash_hv_1:

2 Likes

After this weeks reading I have so many follow up questions. After a second read through :thinking: I’m starting to some what piece things together but…My knowledge of the teen titans is limited to the animated shows and movies so forgive me if these are dumb questions…

1. So there are 2 separate titans, 1 group consisting of the teen titans (damian and co) and then just Titans (Nightwing and co)?
    1a. Has this always been a thing?

2. How the heck are there two Wally’s? (Something about the older Wally being stuck in a time stream? So hes supposed to be in another timeline?)

1 Like

On to this weeks questions…

1. Do you believe Deathstroke was being honest with Wally when he offered up the contract?

No I dont think so, he may twist it to make it so he could continue with what he was doing.

1. What would you like to see come out of Jackson and Tempest knowing each other now?

For Jackson to learn more about his family history, his powers, and bonding.

1. What do you think about Slade and Wally’s family drama? Can you see why Wally would fall for Slade’s approach?

Lord, Slade is just bananas to me. I’m assuming that he was Deathstroke way before his kiddo (Grant aka Ravager) died because of this panel,

So blaming his entire existence on grant dying seems a stretch to me. (Please correct me if I’m wrong)

Also he just was never a good guy

So going back in time to try and “fix” things when hes still the same person seems counter productive.

For Wally I can see why he would fall for it, hes just a kid who never knew his father and has these powers. He does have Flash but obviously that trust was broken somehow and the titans. But it’s a vital part of who he is just like Jackson figuring out his history.

1 Like

I’m limited on my knowledge of the Teen Titans as well.

The original Teen Titans are the older group so they dropped the “Teen” part and just go by Titans now. The current Teen Titans were brought together so that the Teen heroes could still have a book because the brand of Teen Titans is too big to just let it sit there. I don’t believe they’ve always been two separate Titans.

In the New 52 Wally was the younger one we see with the current Teen Titans, but fans of the older Wally were mad so DC brought the red haired Wally back when they had their semi-reboot; Rebirth. If you read DC UNIVERSE: REBIRTH (2016-) #1 you’ll see the red haired Wally come back.

1 Like

You’re so right. Slade will always twist things and somehow convince himself he is in the right.

I would love all of that! Tempest could be a real mentor for Jackson.

I do agree with you though. I have no idea why saving Grant would change past Slade. The past Slade wouldn’t know he was even saved and it would hold no emotional weight for him.

I always thought of Deathstroke existing first. I didn’t get that part either. Maybe it’s different for this continuity. Even going off of that assumption, Slade clearly is just attempting to justify what he has become.

Poor Wally. He was completely crushed when Slade betrayed him. Definitely felt bad for him in that instance. Now, Wally doesn’t have his powers so I wonder how they’ll stop Deathstroke. It’s going to be fun finding out.

1 Like

There’s been a few instances. Probably the most successful was when Geoff Johns was doing his Teen Titans run, Judd Winnick was doing his Outsiders book, which heavily featured some OG Titans alum, and after a while would spin off into a new Titans book.

But yeah, both are seperate teams. Titans at this point is lead by Dick Grayson, and is basically his old friends from the original Titans days coming back to do some good together. Teen Titans, on the other hand, is Damian Wayne leading after initially kidnapping them to be part of his team, though most are only there because Starfire thinks he has the potential to be a good leader.

Basically, in Rebirth it’s revealed that when Doctor Manhattan changed things around to create the New 52 universe, Wally was lost in the timestream in the process, explained by Abra Kadabra’s schemes. In the New 52 Flash series, the new Wally was brought in and eventually became a Kid Flash himself. So older Wally is from more or less the original Pre-Flashpoint timeline. It’s all explained in the big Rebirth one-shot.

Also, I have to admit, I kinda forgot all about this, gonna have a little catching up to do the next couple of days. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks @Jay_Kay and @nu52 for clarifying. I will definitely have to check out the rebirth issue.

Kidnapping :open_mouth: that’s one way to start a team. Damian has really grown on me, hes a more snarky and emotional batman and definitely has potential to be a good leader.

Haha fan power. :joy:

1 Like

Yes, that was rough I mean tricking the kiddo with fixing the car and going to lunch. And talking about reversing the past in clear relation to his father. Man. That’s pretty messed up. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Hell of a way to start a partnership. :laughing:

2 Likes

My to do list keeps getting bigger. :+1: I love his casual pose like it’s no thing to kidnap all the teen titans. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes