DC Movie Hot Takes

Never like the Richard Donner Superman. And no I didn’t see the movie after x,y, and z. This was more or less my introduction to Superman, this and the Fleischer cartoon.

1 Like

The Fleischer cartoons are great! Bud Collyer is Probably my favorite Superman.

5 Likes

As a kid, say Superman and my mind went to those. I love Golden Age Superman, everything afterwards…meh.

1 Like

What didn’t you like about '78 Superman?

1 Like

My first Superman was the George Reeves TV show. Even when I was young, that show was corny and wheezy. This is no knock on the cast. The scripts were just lame. Those Fleischer ‘toons, on the other hand, were beautiful. They hold up today as great examples of animation.

2 Likes

My first Superman was Super Friends Superman followed by the animated series with the episodes I saw being World’s Finest and Last Son of Krypton followed by Justice League.

2 Likes

Eh, just…dated I dunno. Never was a fan.

1 Like

Welcome back to the community @ProfessorMustache! Please don’t hesitate to let the moderator team know if you need anything. :superman:

3 Likes

Peacemaker is the best DCEU project. Either that or The Suicide Squad. :shushing_face:

3 Likes

Superman III was a really good movie!

@Nether-LohengrinSuperman III is a campy hot mess but I kind of love it.”

• Campy, but I wouldn’t go so far to call it a hot mess (like Superman IV)

@MatthewHecht I just saw Superman III, and it is not the disaster I heard.

• I agree!

I think the secret to enjoying this movie is seeing it in the context of the Silver Age of Superman, even though comics are well into the Bronze age when Superman III was released. Before we got the more serious Richard Donner storyline, and villains like Darkseid and Mongul, Superman was a much lighter character. In fact the inevitable meetup of Lois Lane and Lana Lang was a fun callback to their ongoing rivalry in “Superman’s Girl Friend, LOIS LANE”. And as a 2000’s Smallville fan, I LOVED Annette O’Toole as Lana.

Speaking of campy hot messes, this movie may be the perfect Superman complement to the 1966 Batman movie.

Considering how good Superman I and II were, it’s unfortunate we didn’t get a more serious movie in line with the more socially conscious Bronze Age. Then again, Richard Pryor’s hacking of a weather satellite and Robert Vaughn’s disruption of the global supply chain are plotlines that would be considered relevant right now!

1 Like

Fair point. I think the biggest issue in Superman III is people will buy most of the over-the-top non-sensical stuff like all of Superman’s powers, turning people into robots, Superman’s evil double - SURE! Richard Pryor being a computer hacker? Eeeehhhhhhh I dunno, kind of a stretch lol :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I still believe that Batman Forever isn’t getting the respect as the solid film that it is by the mainstream entertainment news press.

4 Likes

I’ll watch it over Batman Returns. The film is actually ABOUT Batman unlike Burton’s.

1 Like

Wish they could have done one of their ideas for the movie; I think the considered BrainIAC

3 Likes

The fact that this is a Plot Point in Office Space is always amusing

1 Like

I personally think that DCEU should adapt Crisis on Infinite Earths. It would give them a fresh start and allow them to fix some of there behind the scenes issues as well. they could combine different universes and make a dream team cast. the Arrowverse is ending (or so it seams at least) and this could help give characters like Flash and Green Arrow a place to continue. Robert Pattinson could be Batman (although I would much prefer Bale) and Joaquin Phoenix could be the Joker. Ryan Reynolds would be hard to get because of Deadpool but it would be nice to see that end credit scene resolved. Who would you like to see if DC merged all their universes into one?

1 Like

This sounds to me like a recipe for the biggest box-office bomb in history. CoIE is the DC version of King Lear. Everybody knows and respects it but nobody really likes (unless you actually see King Lear of course).

Or as The Me and every non connected movie showed they can just not use preestablished continuity without building an entire movie on fresh start.

So insanely high budget.

Already did this a few years ago. Audiences know they can just watch it on TV and there is no need to pay money in the theater to see it.

So in addition to bringing in movie actors it will be filled with silver screen actors. Now the director must in addition to working with movie actors teach the small screen actors how to change their acting to fit the big screen, a process known for being hard due and long due to breaking old habbits. Normally when it works they only have one to focus on. Since this plan involves at least 2 in a huge cast this is not going to be possible.

So only one of each is used? Now all the multiverse and comic purists fans are mad along with the fans who are only interested to see the other versions.

Joker.

I saw it with a friend when it was first released theatrically. When the credits rolled, we looked at each other and grinned. The movie was intense, grim, dark, and one heckuva ride.

I have promised myself a rewatch ever since. It has been on my watchlist. But until last night, I could not bring myself to hit play. I just wasn’t sure I wanted to put myself through that again.

But I did. I started it last night, watched about half, and finished it tonight. It was everything I remembered and more.

My hot take: Joker is a great movie. It may not be for everyone but it’s great.

Edited to add: My major criticism of the movie is the inclusion of Gary Glitter on the soundtrack. Gary Glitter and R. Kelly are two artists I can’t stand to hear.

3 Likes

James Gunn = genius

3 Likes

Agreed. :+1:

3 Likes