DC Movie Hot Takes

@awk1964.87979

Yeah, those scenes outside of the Iceberg Lounge were really dark – as well as some of the interior scenes. And those scenes leading up to the beat down that was shown in the first teaser. All of that was really dark.

That lead up in those early scenes was when I first noticed it, like, “Wow, that was really dark.” And when it continued to be that way throughout the movie, then it was, “Okay, this is going to be a really dark, this is what he’s doing.”

Christopher Nolan with Tenet of course had the issue with some saying that it was hard to understand what was being said in some scenes.

It’s like, “Yeah, that’s Christopher Nolan.” (Tenet is my favorite movie of his… )

Anyway, one of his sound designers said:

"Chris is trying to create a visceral emotional experience for the audience, beyond merely an intellectual one. Like punk rock music, it’s a full-body experience, and dialogue is only one facet of the sonic palette. He wants to grab the audience by the lapels and pull them toward the screen, and not allow the watching of his films to be a passive experience. "

“If you can, my advice would be to let go of any preconceptions of what is appropriate and right and experience the film as it is, because a lot of hard intentional thought and work has gone into the mix.”

Christopher Nolan said this about Interstellar:

“I don’t agree with the idea that you can only achieve clarity through dialogue,” he continued. “Clarity of story, clarity of emotions – I try to achieve that in a very layered way using all the different things at my disposal – picture and sound. I’ve always loved films that approach sound in an impressionistic way and that is an unusual approach for a mainstream blockbuster, but I feel it’s the right approach for this experiential film.”

I’m guessing with Matt Reeves and The Batman it wasn’t so important that you saw everything in detail in those scenes. No, I assume it was more about creating the mood and the atmosphere.

Just guessing here of course because I haven’t read anything about him addressing it.

There’s an article about this though at Variety:

Interesting in that article is that, yeah, the Joker wasn’t as visually dark as The Batman, even though it dealt with a weightier subject matter. And it was a much darker in tone movie.

Quickly on Batgirl:

The inclusion of Michael Keaton really kills my interest in it. I hope it does well, though.

If Joker had been as visually dark as the subject, it would have been too depressing to watch.

Of course, a whole different matter, but somewhat connected, is sound. In movies especially, but it’s bleeding over into television, too:

You go from not being able to hear what anybody’s saying, to bloody ear-splitting. Or background is so loud you can’t understand what foreground is saying. Or the soundtrack is louder than the dialog.

2 Likes

Cause he couldn’t turn his head?

Same here

2 Likes

@Sean-Malloy

Cause he couldn’t turn his head?

No, I’ve just never liked the overall design of any of the live-action Batman costumes. Keaton’s, Bale’s, Affleck’s, none of them. I hate to say it like this, but everyone of those actors looked ridiculous in the cowl to me.

I thought Ben Affleck was great as Bruce Wayne, but his Batman… no. I get what Zack Snyder was going for, but nah. :smiling_face:

The Batman’s costume was the first time that I’ve actually liked it. And that’s why I liked the movie so much.

And I’m half-joking when I say this, but the reason why I liked the costume so much could be because the movie was so dark that I could barely see it. :smiling_face:

No, the collar is what sold it for me, I guess. And I thought Pattinson looked great in the cowl. And this is the first time that Batman’s costumes was completely black – the utility belt and everything. And that’s as big a deal as the collar for me, because I’ve never liked the yellow utility belt.

This applies to the comics too. When it’s really dark in the comics and I can barely see his costume, or when sometimes they draw him with his cape completely wrapped around him and I can’t see his costume at all, I like it.

When I can see the full costume clearly though, I don’t really like it at all that much. Seeing the gray and the yellow utility belt and everything… yeah, I’m not really that crazy about that.

Oftentimes Batman is the least interesting thing in a Batman comic when I read it. Everything else is usually more interesting to me than he is.

This is my favorite image of Batman ever in the comics…

And of course it’s not even Batman, it’s Jace from I AM BATMAN.

Not everyone draws it as well as Olivier Coipel though however. When he draws it, I like it. When others draw it… I don’t really like it that much.

I really like what Andrea Sorrentino did in BATMAN: THE IMPOSTER too, because it looks like The Batman costume. Mattson Tomlin who wrote BATMAN: THE IMPOSTER also of course worked on the script for The Batman with Matt Reeves, so there’s that.

My favorite live-action costume is Sister Night’s from HBO’s Watchmen

“In the TV series, the one who really speaks to me is Sister Night. She’s a wonderful character and a great costume. It’s got such nice flowing lines and nice areas of solid black. The telling little details like the sheriff’s badge and the crucifix. She was the character that I felt most drawn to draw.”
-Dave Gibbons

Robert Pattinson’s Batman and Zoë Kravitz Catwoman are my next favorite live-action costumes.

I’m really hard pressed to think of who I like after those. I kind of want to say Brandon Routh’s Superman costume. I liked it in 2006, but as time has gone on it’s fallen out of favor a little.

It’s goes without saying that I’m eager to see what they come up with for the next Superman.

@awk1964.87979

If Joker had been as visually dark as the subject, it would have been too depressing to watch.

I don’t think I would have enjoyed it as much if it was visually darker.

How it was I thought was perfect. They really didn’t need to change anything. It was one of those rare movies where after it was done I had no complaints. No thoughts of, “Yeah, I wished they had done that differently.”

And sometimes movies don’t always have good third acts – the movie is good until they have to figure out how to end it. In the case of the Joker I thought they stuck the landing.

The Batman I didn’t really think stuck the landing, but the Joker did for me.

(Thankfully the Penguin HBO Max show is supposedly going to pick up with what happens next after the movie – as it pertains to the Penguin, at least.)

What if they just gave you black pages with words?

2 Likes

@Sean-Malloy

No, just keep Batman in the shadows, that’s enough. No need to get dramatic. I don’t dislike other things, just his costume.

And he works best in the shadows for me – all mysterious and everything. Actually seeing him too much kind of ruins it a little… kind of a lot, to be honest.

Hot take:

I’m think that I’m going to really like the upcoming HBO Max animated series Batman: Caped Crusader

Caped Crusader will be looking to dive more into the psychology of Batman and his villains, a trend that seems to be growing in TV and film for superheroes, and especially Batman. Examining what makes them dress up and be heroes, and how their trauma influences that, is an endless wellspring of stories. While more “adult” animated versions have failed before, Caped Crusader may be different. Some people also suspect that this series may focus on a younger Batman just beginning his war on crime due to the design of the Batsuit, which seems inspired by the original artist, Bill Finger. In the same DCFandome segment, the producers said the series’ Batman will be by himself – no Robin or Bat-family.

The above sounds absolutely perfect.

And this next part, the part about re-imaging iconic characters…

He talked about how Batman will start out as a very low-tech hero, and fans will get to see him try out different prototypes and build his arsenal. The show promises to take many iconic characters and re-imagine them in a new way that hasn’t been seen before. While the versions on previous Batman shows are considered to be top tier, the new series hopes that audiences will connect with their versions in the same way. Many fans are excited to see how these iconic characters are written and developed in a new version of Gotham.

Of course, I can already hear some complaining about them changing characters. And the only thing you can say is, “Well, they said ahead of time that they were going to change them. And so they did.”

But yep, low-tech and re-imagined are music to my ears.

And Bruce Timm’s Strange Days is a somewhat okay template…

One of the main inspirations for the new series was Bruce Timm’s Strange Days short that was released for Batman’s 75th anniversary. The short is a great example of the tone and style that the new series will follow. It will be heavily inspired by all noir-styled films and shows. Gotham will look and be styled like the 1940s, and the show will echo that vibe. Timm does state that although the show will have a 1940s style, the storylines and characterization will be more modern and inclusive. The series truly looks like it’s trying to develop something fresh and exciting while still tapping into the nostalgia of viewers’ childhoods.

It just needs more shadow. :smiling_face:

And I hope they don’t take this Batman out of the city even once. Batman out of the city does not work for me at all.

Of course, Batman: Caped Crusader isn’t going to be traditional animation, so no worries for me on that front. I’m not one of those “it has to be hand drawn animation” people – and I actually prefer that it’s not going to be traditional animation.

And noir-styled (in other words, shadows) and styled like the 1940s (not quite a period piece, but close enough), is more music to my ears.

I’ve only seen a handful of episodes of Batman: The Animated Series. It was a step up from traditional American animation, but to the anime snob in me at the time it still had a long, long way to go.

Batman: Caped Crusader on the other hand looks like it’s going to fit the bill – because it has Matt Reeves and Ed Brubaker.

One made what I think is the best Batman movie ever, and the other co-wrote GOTHAM CENTRAL, what I consider to be the second best Bat book ever, after BATMAN: THE IMPOSTER.

That said, if this Batman has a yellow utility belt, then, well… that’s going to probably be a little unfortunate for me. Fingers crossed that he doesn’t have a yellow utility belt. :smiling_face:

I agree a Hawkman+Hawkwoman standalone movie could be really cool!

Plastic Man would likely play better as a funny movie than Elongated Man. Just cast Plas and Woozy Winks and use some of the old Police Comics stories - with good casting and CGI it could be hilarious!

2 Likes

Just saw Green Lantern, and this might be a hot take here. It is really bad. It has a really good ending, but getting there is a real slog, and they speak so softly I could barely hear and had to put subtitles on.

1 Like

didn’t have trouble hearing it myself

1 Like

Two movies - The Dark Knight Rises and The Batman.

I finally got around to rewatching The Dark Knight Rises, since HBO Max will be taking it off again soon.

It was VERY good, but not as great as The Dark Knight. Bale might have been better in Rises, but the supporting cast’s performances did not match up to what Ledger and Eckhart brought to The Dark Knight.

Admittedly, it is hard for me to take Tom Hardy’s Bane seriously now. Every time he spoke I was thinking of James Adomian’s hilariously spot-on Bane in the Harley Quinn series. For this reason alone Bane’s intimidation and the movie as a whole might have been less powerful for me this time around.

I did enjoy Anne Hathaway’s Catwoman, more than Zoe Kravitz, but not as much as Michelle Pfeiffer. Nothing against the other two, Pfieffer was just given the most to work with in Batman Returns.

I did enjoy the ending even more on rewatching.

The BATMAN with Robert Pattinson was good, but I felt that yet another standalone Batman movie was unnecessary, and this movie only reinforced my feeling about it. That said, I enjoyed seeing Paul Dano’s new take on Riddler, even if I still prefer Jim Carrey’s portrayal and even Cory Michael Smith’s TV version on Gotham.

The Dark Knight remains the best standalone Batman movie ever made.

3 Likes

Agreed. :+1:

3 Likes

Solid take here @awk1964.87979. Sound design has regressed by leaps and bounds as of late.

1 Like

Agreed

While not good, worst might have to go to BvS for me.

That is a big, missed opportunity in their movies

I’d give it top 20

Not really

1 Like

Batman v Superman is the most underrated superhero movie ever made! I personally think Zack Snyder is a genius. The movie was dark, gritty, and the stakes felt high. The movie also did a good job of adapting Frank Miller’s The Dark Knight Returns! Batfleck is 1 of my favorite versions of Batman and Jesse Eissenberg is my favorite version of Lex Luthor in live-action form!

4 Likes

I will take the Schumacher films over Batman Returns any and every day of the week, month, year, year, decade, century. Batman Returns makes no damn sense whatsoever.

1 Like

Too many plots in one movie

2 Likes

Arguably it is convoluted. But it never took me out of the movie of making me dislike it. I respect what Snyder was going for in this movie.

3 Likes

I wasn’t thrilled with Snyder’s MoS, but this upped my annoyance

4 Likes

Agree with everything you said. BvS Ultimate Edition was awesome, and holds up on repeated viewings. It’s unfortunate that BvS UE was not the theatrical version.

While I disliked the idea of Jesse Eisenberg as Luthor, I liked the Luthor character in BvS. Eisenberg fit what Snyder was going for, a mad genius with the emphasis on MAD.

And while Batfleck wouldn’t be my favorite Batman for a standalone Batman movie, I thought he was perfect in BvS and even more so in ZSJL. BvS Ultimate Edition WAS the best DC movie ever until ZSJL.

1 Like

Yea, BvS was great! And I also wish they released the UE in theaters instead of the actual theatrical cut. But it is what it is. BvS will always be remembered as like a cult classic in the superhero genre. And I LOVE ZSJL, but I do love BvS more.

3 Likes