DC Movie Hot Takes

The last time Supes outsold Bats was 92-96. A whole lot of that was because he had a successful tv show (and died/returned) during that period.

2 Likes

@ds090ddsl @Kon-El-Prime What can I say? People love me.

1 Like

I think Superman’s show being on HBO Max would help his comic sales. CW is a place where tv goes to die. Not being mean. It’s just not mainstream enough. 80,000,000 people use HBO. Only 174,000 people watch CW shows on Primetime (avg). Many of HBO’s shows average 10-20 million viewers.

1 Like

CW is designed for millenials and now Gen Z. It gets more viewers from piracy like Owlman.

2 Likes

@Kon-El-Prime

Wasn’t that in INFINITE CRISIS that Batman said to Superman that the last time you really inspired anyone was when you were dead?

Or something like that… :smiling_face:

I guess he could also say, the last time you outsold me is when you were dead. :smiling_face:

But yeah, killing people and having line-wide events does outsell Batman. Even Batman can’t beat that. :smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes, I said that in Infinite Crisis.

2 Likes

I’d just like to see completely accurate DC based movies; one of the best things they got right in “The Batman” is that all his opponents are alive by the end.

1 Like

Maybe if DC actually marketed the current Action Comics run then they could get the sales up

1 Like

Outside of poster displays at LCS, I never see much advertising for comics anymore.

1 Like

Me either

And that is part of why Comic sales are low

and bad storylines

2 Likes

Holy Zorro, Batman…

In the time of the Aztec Empire, Yohualli Coatl – a young Aztec boy – experiences tragedy when his father and village leader, Toltecatzin, is murdered by Spanish Conquistadors. Yohualli escapes to Tenochtitlan to warn King Moctezuma and his high priest, Yoka, of imminent danger. Using the temple of Tzinacan, the bat god, as a lair, Yohualli trains with his mentor and assistant, Acatzin, developing equipment and weaponry to confront the Spaniard invasion, protect Moctezuma’s temple, and avenge his father’s death.

Well, not exactly Zorro, but intriguing nonetheless.

And that’s my hot take: this is intriguing to me, and I will watch it.

And I’ll watch it in Spanish, with English subtitles, because why not… :smiling_face:

If it is even in the U.S.

2 Likes

Hot Takes
SUICIDE SQUAD is really good (Would love to see the ayer cut but i really like the cut that exists too)

Batman Forever is Good

Dark Knight Rises is the most disappointing DC movie

DC’s biggest failure has been ignoring the magic/JL Dark side of the universe

THE SUICIDE SQUAD is a top 3 Comic Movie

THE JOKER has the best superhero score

Speaking of Joker, DC has far better villains than the competitors and should have more villain focused movies

3 Likes

@Sean-Malloy

If it is even in the U.S.

Yeah, I didn’t think of that, but it may not come to the U.S.

It’s animated and it’s Batman so I just assumed it would, but it may not.

And this part…

The original, Spanish-language animated film places the iconic DC superhero against the backdrop of Aztec Mexico and immerses viewers in the enigmatic culture of Mesoamerica.

The animation pic will be produced entirely in Mexico and showcase top local talent and the region’s extraordinary ancient culture.

Sam Register and Tomás Yankelevich serve as executive producers. Alejandro Díaz Barriga, an expert on Mesoamerican studies and the ethnic history of Mexico and the Andean region, will work closely with the creative team to make certain that the indigenous representation portrayed in the film is appropriate and relevant.

…so it’s not being created for a U.S. audience, so it may not come to HBO Max in the U.S.

Then again, there is an “Latino” section on the U.S. HBO Max site, and that has Spanish-language live-action and animated TV shows and movies, so that’s where they’ll probably put it.

@LooseNate

THE JOKER has the best superhero score

Yes, it is very, very good. And I think it’s the best too.

And it did win the Oscar for Best Original Score.

https://www.watertower-music.com/film/release.php?title=joker

I was just listening to it the other night.

I was familiar with Hildur Guðnadóttir from some of the pieces she did for Deutsche Grammophon

So when it was announced that she was doing the Joker soundtrack, I thought, “Oh, this should be nice and moody… and haunting.” :smiling_face:

Speaking of the Joker:

Holy Poker Face, Batman…

The Joker is back, and this time he’s bringing a friend.

Lady Gaga is in early talks to star opposite Joaquin Phoenix in director Todd Phillips’ sequel to Joker, the 2019 Oscar-winning, $1 billion Warner Bros. hit based on the DC character.

Phillips has been co-writing the script with Joker co-writer Scott Silver for some time and has finally shown it to the studio. Last week, Phillips revealed on social media the title of the new project — Joker: Folie à deux the title referencing a medical term for an identical or similar mental disorder that affects two or more individuals, usually members of the same family. And while the same social media post showed Phoenix reading the script, the actor’s involvement is not exactly a legal fait accompli just yet — sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that Warners has yet to close a deal with the actor, with the two sides deep into it.

Enter Gaga.

Details on her character are being kept under wraps, but Joker is known for his on-off abusive relationship with Harley Quinn, his psychiatrist at the mental institution known as Arkham Asylum who falls in love with him and becomes his sidekick and partner in crime. It is unclear whether Phillips and company are using other DC characters or striking on their own, as they did in many instances with their first movie.

If a deal makes, Gaga would play Quinn. However, this new Quinn exists in a different DC universe than the Margot Robbie’s Harley Quinn, which most recently appeared in 2021’s The Suicide Squad as well as several other films.

But wait, that’s not all: Sources say the sequel is also a musical.

As Shaggy would say, “Zionks?!”

I like it. I’m there.

When Warners first made Joker, it was far from a sure thing. A dark and moody character piece, the project was a Taxi Driver- meets -King of Comedy descent into madness set in a late 1970s decaying city. Commercial prospects were deemed nominal, and it was only budgeted at $60 million.

By the time it was released in October 2019, Joker was riding a wave of adulation from the fall film festivals, which helped propel the movie into a record-breaking opening weekend, with box office analysts changing their prediction every day. It ended its theatrical run as the No. 4 highest-grossing R-rated movie of all time. It then earned 11 Oscar nominations, including best picture, and won best actor (for Phoenix) and best score (for Hildur Guonadottir).

Hot take: Yeah, I like this… this is sufficiently weird, and totally unexpected. :smiling_face:

EDIT:

And Variety…

Making “Joker 2” a musical is another bold stroke by Phillips, who struck gold — at the box office (with $1 billion in worldwide grosses) and the Oscars (with 12 nominations and two wins) — when he reframed the Dark Knight’s number one villain as a loner anti-hero. Joaquin Phoenix won best actor for his performance as Joker, aka Arthur Fleck; he’s also expected to reprise his performance, though his deal isn’t settled yet.

All other details about “Folie à Deux” remain under wraps, so it’s unclear whether Gaga would also contribute any music to the project, but it’s a safe bet that it’s at least on the table. Gaga worked with Phillips in his capacity as one of the producers of 2018’s “A Star Is Born,” which earned Gaga an Oscar nomination for best actress — and an Oscar win for original song. That movie’s star and director, Bradley Cooper, was also a producer on “Joker,” but it’s unclear what level of involvement he has on “Folie à Deux.”

Yeah, like that old Apple campaign, they really are thinking different.

Bravo, I guess. :smiling_face:

1 Like

Not really a hot take, but I really want to see this guy back in the cape! Happy ninth anniversary, Man of Steel!

4 Likes

Sounds like a classic elseworlds

1 Like

Most of Marvels good villans lie with Spider-man, Captain America, Fantastic Four, X-men and Thor. Iron Man kinda has some decent villians

While DC have banger Rogue’s gallarys Flash ,Batman , Superman, Wonder Woman has a decent one, Green Lantern and the Teen Titans

1 Like