DC History Club - Vote and Defend

I personally will not be returning for season 6 of the flash because it is too much on the soap opera side. Everyone gets powers, everyone who dies comes back to life except for like one character.

1 Like

Yes Bart was the Flash for about a year after Infinite Crisis. His run is actually here on DCU in the 2006 series “Flash: The Fastest Man Alive”.

It didn’t start out great but in issue #9 when Marc Guggenheim took over writing it got a lot better. Granted by then it only had 5 more issues, but at least it went out good.

Worth a read if you haven’t read it.

3 Likes

I agree. I didn’t even make it through all of last season. I will tune into Crisis, though.

2 Likes

Maybe I’ll check it out, then. I hated that series when it came out.

2 Likes

@DanTheManOne1

I can’t stand Nora, and I liked it better when jay appeared more regularly. Maybe I’ll be back for crisis…?

2 Likes

I remember that now, I also remember dropping it.

4 Likes

Any good XS series…ever?

3 Likes

Well if you dropped it before issue #9 then you might want to go back and start there. It was worlds better then that first 9 issue arc which was not great. To be kind.

2 Likes

My heart says Jay but my mind says Barry. He ushered in the Silver Age and his involvement in both the Crisis and Flashpoint have lead to significant changes in the DCU continuity.

2 Likes

The Speed Force. The Flash Family. The Rogues’ modern characterization.

Both older Flashes are highly dependent on Wally-era developments for most of their lore, personality, and supporting cast. Without Wally carrying the torch, I don’t think nearly as many people would care about Barry or Jay now.

5 Likes

But without Barry, Wally doesn’t even exist, right?

1 Like

And without Jay, no Barry, sure. But I’d argue that Wally is as expansive a reinvention of the Barry era as Barry is of the Jay era.

3 Likes

Wally because he’s the greatest example of passing the torch and doing better than your predecessor

4 Likes

That might be the case for some of the love but I was a fan of both Jay and Berry long before Wally became the Flash.

2 Likes

@SpookyJamags that is a very convincing argument for Wally, our view of Jay and Barry is highly dependent on lore developed during Wally’s run.

1 Like

I voted for Jay.

Barry as a character IRL wouldn’t exist without Jay, since the Barry Allen Flash was a reworking of the concept that debuted with Jay.

Wally exists because of Barry, who again exists because of Jay.

Barry is certainly the more significant Flash in terms of major events in the DCU, but Jay got things running, and set the standard for Barry, Wally, Bart (an underrated Flash) and Avery Ho, along with other Speedsters like Jesse Quick, Impulse (Bart again) and Max Mercury.

Jay is o-kay! :ok_hand:

4 Likes

This!

Wally was THE Flash for an entire generation. He molded the speedster image in such a way that when they eventually brought Barry back, they gave him almost all of Wally’s history and characteristics. The CW show pulls liberally from Wally’s tenure, and the whole franchise would be a pale version of itself without Wally’s advances.

4 Likes

It’s tempting to choose Jay, but it’s hard to argue against Barry Allen, he who kicked off the silver age of comics.

2 Likes

Barry. As mentioned by many others, kicked off the Silver Age, gave his life in Crisis, JLA founding member, and Flashpoint. Plus, he’s my Flash as I grew up in the Bronze Age.

3 Likes

Wally is the fastest. Nuff said