DC History Club - Vote and Defend

image Welcome to a gathering of the DC History Club High Historical Council. While we wait for November 1st to begin our regular schedule, we will spend the next week deciding the great historical debates of the day with your votes. Once you’ve cast your ballot let your fellow council members know your rationale. Today:
Three heroes have been accepted in their time as the one and true Flash. But, which of them is the most historically significant.

• Jay Garrick
  • Barry Allen
  • Wally West

0 voters

8 Likes

Barry Allen
Crisis on Infinite Earths

3 Likes

Barry Launches Silver Age, charter member of JLA, saves literally everything in the Crisis

8 Likes

In Universe: Barry sacrificed his life in the CRISIS and is often recognized as the first (in continuity) Flash.

IRL: Barry, like most silver age characters, has had the biggest impact on the culture. He was the star of both live action tv shows and the justice league movie.

3 Likes

Jay Garrick was they original without his success we never would’ve had Barry Allen.

5 Likes

While not my favorite, the most significant is Barry. He helped completely reset the universe twice, first in Crisis and again in Flashpoint. And, as stated, he was one of the launch points of the Silver Age.

4 Likes

If we are talking about historical I still stand with jay Garrick

2 Likes

Can’t argue none of the others would have existed without Jay Garrick (also despite being around the longest the only Flash to never die and one of the more prominent heroes period to never die. Jay is unstoppable).

BUT…

Barry Allen launched the Silver Age, DC Comics as a whole would be much different if he hadn’t caught on. He also was the basis for two TV series (how many superheroes period who aren’t Superman or Batman get 2 TV series.). He also was the catalyst for the post Crisis DCU continuity that lasted over 20 years and the New 52 earth.

5 Likes

I can see why you would think that, and it ALMOST changes my mind

2 Likes

So far no votes for Wally, the one thing I will say about him is that the modern animated and live action Flash appearances are Barry, but the personality owes a lot to Wally.

6 Likes

Barry Allen
Started Silver Age
Original Justice League Member
Died in Crisis of Infinite Earth
Two Live Action TV shows
In Latest Justice League Movie
Responsible for Flashpoint

3 Likes

I change my mind. All flashes are created equally, just because all of them are responsible for something important.

3 Likes

Yeah, I’m surprised there’s no love for Wally yet. We know he has a loyal base. John’s run on the book was great and as @msgtv said, Barry’s personality was heavily influenced by Wally.

3 Likes

Oh and I wonder if Bart Allen’s feelings are hurt, not even an option? I mean yeah who would say he was the most significant but geez, a pity nomination at least.

2 Likes

But was he The Flash?

1 Like

Bart became flash at one point I believe.

1 Like

If we were discussing who was our favorite, I’d be going with Wally, but he’s just not as historically significant as his mentor.

3 Likes

Yeah, he even had his own book as the Flash, but it was short lived. Like 15 issues maybe?

2 Likes

Yes, and I thought that short lived series was horrid.

1 Like

Wally West for me. His transformation from jerk to superhero was so compelling. There’s nothing to say about Barry, I don’t really know if Barry Allen was ever a fully realized character pre-Crisis, where Wally is a fuller character weighed by the shadow of Barry. I noticed even in the tv show the character of Barry is really the character of Wally from the comic books. Wally made the Flash interesting…

7 Likes