DC Fan Art Club: 'Meet the Artist' Challenge

@Jay_Kay I think you just voiced exactly how i feel towards both my materials I use while drawing and towards the likes and dislikes in the dc universe. It makes perfect sense in the idea that I don’t really look at any character or comic and say, “oh yeah no”, it’s just a matter of I’m probably not gonna go seek out that comic and read it all the time.
Also, the art looks amazing! I have always loved two face as a character, just the idea of him and his duality has always been cool to, and the way you made his two sides distinct yet somehow blended I think is perfect! Well done!

3 Likes

Thanks! I appreciate it. :grin:

1 Like

i know how you feel about inking, @JeepersItsTheJamags. i don’t think i’ve ever inked a drawing and not felt like i was making it worse. but like @Jay_Kay said, i document the pencil drawing in case i completely ruin it :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

You folks who do black and white artworks or inking blow my mind. When I try inking, it looks so flat. I paint because I struggle with depth in black and white. I’ve never been good with monochromatic works either.

3 Likes

Hey Everyone!!

I just joined the group and saw “Meet the Artist” and immediately wanted to participate, so I whipped up this piece in a “Flash.”

Barry Allen is definitely my favorite character of all time in the DCU! All the things about his character is what I strive to do: be positive, hopeful, helpful and just being there for others if I can.

I use all mediums in art, but for this I used digital. The program I used was Clip Studio Paint on my iPad.

I’ve seen a lot of awesome pieces submitted in this challenge—great job everyone and it’s nice to meet all of you! #dcfac

Cheers

14 Likes

Wow @EasternShoreSpeedster! Your art looks absolutely amazing and the way you added so much detail with only two colors is incredible, I love the way it almost glows!

5 Likes

Likewise, I’m blown away by folks who do paint. Whenever I’ve tried I look at the result and think “this looks like technicolor throw-up.” :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

@Broken-Knight Thank you! I wanted to keep this piece quick and simplified, but effective. Almost like we caught a snapshot of him.

4 Likes

Awesome work! Love how you sell the speed with the movement lines. :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks @Jay_Kay, I really appreciate it!

2 Likes

Welcome, I’ve seen your work in other threads, and wOW!
You captured movement here. It’s like the painting is alive. :star_struck: I can’t stop staring at it.

4 Likes

Thanks @WonderWoman_85! I’m def pleased with how it came out. I tried to keep it a quick piece to hep with the movement of it.

2 Likes

@CynicalPink when will the next weekly challenge be posted? And the monthly too?

3 Likes

@Jay_Kay You’re not late! I’ve still gotta turn mine in, and I think a few others are planning to as well. Anyway, I really love your style! It looks confident, if that makes sense (serenap is so better at reviews than I am). And seconding what a bunch said up there: take a pic or scan of your work, then have at it with colors. I’m in the same boat, where I know color is almost always gonna make whatever I’m working on look worse (when using traditional media, anyway), but you might surprise yourself with the results once you get the hang of it.

I recommend watercolors. You can get a set for pretty cheap, and although they’re notoriously difficult in some respects, imo, even a messy job done with watercolors still has a lot of flair.

@EasternShoreSpeedster So glad to have you with us! Y’know I really enjoyed your art in the Fan Creation threads. Your Flash is awesome - I love pieces with a limited palette.

@AnonymousBB (and co) — First of our official weekly challenges begins this Saturday morning (EST time)! Monthly challenges will be posted on the 1st of the month (so, this Sunday). I think I’m going to keep the “Meet the Artist” challenge open indefinitely so newcomers don’t have to miss out.

6 Likes

This is a great idea! Looking forward to the challenges as I am a doodler. Use pencil, colored pencil and a tiny sketch pad :woman_shrugging:

And who knew one eye could be so difficult. :harley_hv_2:

12 Likes

@EasternShoreSpeedster that is incredible! It almost reminds me of Star Wars the clone wars the way the “strokes” of the colors look. It looks way good!

3 Likes

Welcome to the club, @stefanie.murr7! Happy to have another doodler on board! Your Ivy Harley looks great. :+1: I always struggle with One Wonky Eye Syndrome. :sweat_smile: (ps: your user pic is adorable)

4 Likes

Hahaha yea baby etrigan kills me with cuteness. Also its supposed to be Harley lol.

3 Likes

@stefanie.murr7 Sorry! This is what happens when typing at 6 am without caffeine. Not sure where my mind was with that

3 Likes

No worries there,
20200225_075442

4 Likes