DC Fan Art Club: June 2023 Spotlight - DC Pride

Wow. I would have the same problem, where I would have this great image in my head and when I put it to page it just doesn’t look right, and I would just look at it as a lack of skill and talent. I’m definitely going to keep this in mind from now on and try to tell myself that every new work is a chance to learn and improve. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thanks! In 5 minutes, Jim Lee explained capes in a very easy follow manner.

It all starts with a fixed point and a random squiggle.

2 Likes

Happy Pride Month! Here is a drawing I did of one my favorite duos. I am working on drawing Tim Drake & Conner Hawke, and John Constantine as well!

11 Likes

As some who studied graphic design and spent hours working on things like creating my own type fonts, I will agree with this. Illustration was the thing I hated the most, because I don’t really have the natural talent for it. Nor the patience for the type of sweat equity I would need to put in to become competent at drawing a still-life, whereas picturing what, for example, a new logo should look like came very easily to me.

2 Likes

This superb work! The lighting is excellent, especially makes the leaves pop out 3 dimensionally. :metal:

2 Likes

Fun story, I usually try to do something for the fan art club and something for the fanworks every month, but this month y’all went with matching prompts. I made a couple pieces and didn’t know who should get which one, but in the end I decided that if Harley was getting Ivy and herself into trouble again, y’all should know about it.

(Also, everything so far also looks amazing and I know it will only get better)

11 Likes

I absolutely love the poses here!!

3 Likes

I wanted to try stepping outside of my usual characters I draw and do another character for Pride Month, so I chose to do John Constantine! I went a little more simple with this one but it helped me practice drawing different types of clothing and poses. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Does it have to be from this anthology or would any LBGTQ+ DC character be eligible? I have ideas but not sure if they’re in this particular anthology

2 Likes

Anything goes!

5 Likes

So spot on for these two! Great job! :metal:

2 Likes

The “ordinary” poses are so difficult at times. I think you nailed it here! :metal:

2 Likes

@sarahmariesapphire - really amazing work on the colors! I don’t know how you achieve these effects with just markers. Can you provide some tips? Are you putting down a base color first and then adding the highlights on top? Or is there no overlapping of colors at all?

@the_Rubber_Bandit - very nice Harley and Ivy! I can just hear their voices from the animated series coming through this piece!

6 Likes

Thank you! When I’m coloring I will put down my lightest shade all over, and then apply the darkest shades in areas that need shading. Then to blend the two, I use a medium color in between, and will go over the whole area again with the light color to achieve a blend! If I want it to look more metallic/ shiny, I use black as a shading color. I also use a white gel pen to add extra highlights where I need, and fine point black felt pens for small details. I use the Spectrum Noir Tri Blend Markers with all of my art. Another thing that really helps with my markers is I use a special paper formulated for alcohol markers, which helps make the blend smoother. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

@ImpulseMaxMercury
I remember that one. Still looks awesome™:+1:. Cool one of the creators saw it.

@JKoco17
Awesome™:+1: Jon. Nice posing and cool bird. Also cool background.

@sarahmariesapphire
Great Harley/Ivy and awesome™:+1: John Constantine. Great posing and nice details with the clothes and scruff

@the_Rubber_Bandit
Awesome™:+1: HQ and Ivy. Captured their personalities great. Nice posing too.

4 Likes

Kicking off with this fun little idea I had. Apollo kissing his favorite grump Midnighter. Had fun with it made 2 backgrounds for it.

10 Likes

This made me giggle a little. Midnighter just isn’t having it, but you know deep down he’s happy. Really like the second background for the contrast and that I think it leaned to the underlying happiness of Midnighter. Nicely done! :metal:

2 Likes

Yeah he appreciates it. Just has to be broody every now and then. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

The blending looks really great. Even more so knowing you don’t have the option to just ‘undo’ like with digital color. So awesome! Thanks for sharing your process.

4 Likes

Very awesome idea for a pic of these two! I kind of prefer the first background as it weaves in some of the pride rainbow colors.

6 Likes