DC Fan Art Club: January 2024 - All About Perspective!

Looks like I have some catching up to do!

@storyteller91

I agree with Rob is looks more like a worm’s eye view. Try to establish the building a bit more to make it clear where he’s landing or how he’s standing. Then you can add some meat to those bones to give the whole thing some more weight.

Also thanks for posting the video. I had not seen that particular one, but I know trying to do buildings in any kind of perspective is really challenging. Doing one in a globe is really mind-bending!

5 Likes

I think this is perfect!! Super well done!
You have the tilt of the head, the angle of the shoulders, that’s the way to do it!

7 Likes

yeah I’m gonna try again and see if I can do better.

5 Likes

nice

3 Likes

3 Likes

This is really nice! You’ve got a great angle on the building and Batman’s upper body is perfect. Think of the extra drama you could get if you turned the camera 45 degrees so Batman and the building are at a bit of an angle. Or zoom in closer so his head and shoulders are bigger and you are really looking down over him.

Now this is very interesting. The upper body looks great!

The absolutely hardest part to work out is what to do with the legs. He kind of flattens out there. If you cover the top half and just look at the legs, you may see what I mean.

If you really want to tilt that camera and do a worm’s eye running figure, let’s see the bottom of those shoes.

Your work is always consistently fantastic Rob. I hope you don’t mind me adding a few tips and comments :handshake:

I’m now getting nervous that I can live up to what I’ve asked you guys to do.

6 Likes

I don’t mind the comments, I actually prefer them. They are great observations and you pinpointed exactly what I don’t like about them. I really should’ve given myself more time on them both. Specifically the The Flash, I did have the sole of the foot showing, but it looked forced. I think it is the calf section that screws it up the most. It is very flat and made the foot look awkward when turned. I may re-work them. Kinda frustrated I haven’t kept up that skill.

4 Likes

The month is still young!

My shortcut has been to cut things off at the waist or upper thigh. It seems like it should be simple, but it can be so challenging.

Hey, not DC related, but I see Todd McFarlane is having a contest every week in January. Different characters each week, but the winners get published as variant covers!

Intriguing, but super intimidating to jump into that. But what’s the old saying…you always miss every swing you don’t take? You thinking about diving in?

4 Likes

I would like to, but the rules say no photos and that is how I show my work. I don’t have a scanner. Kind of a bummer, but I can understand the need for the higher resolution. It is for a cover to a major comic after all.

3 Likes

Oh, right. You would need quite the scanner for 11x17. Do Kinko’s or Fed Ex Office shops still exist? Geez, I’m old :grinning:

4 Likes

Try number two

7 Likes

I like them

I’m sure you’ll do fine
any guess as to what went wrong with my batman picture?
his body is not that small and his legs are not that long in real life so I don’t know how to fix it the phone makes it look like he’s trying to escape the paper.

3 Likes

I did a few adjustments to the drawing. Not sure it is enough, but it does seem to work better now.

6 Likes

I suggest experimenting with tilting your camera. I have found that even if I am off centering it, it causes my drawing to look completely different than what is on the page. Try to shoot it as straight forward as possible. Angles make all the difference. Then we can see what you see, and may be able to make better recommendations.

4 Likes

Changing the angle seems to have helped a little bit

5 Likes

It definitely has helped. Looks to be a bird’s eye view and much better defined. I would suggest more tapering of the lower body to complete the downward angle of a bird’s eye view. Still a solid drawing and keep that camera shooting just like that, it is perfect. :metal:

3 Likes

I can’t really taper since I used ink that will have to be for try number 3. Thanks I learned a lot from you.

3 Likes

Anytime! I love to help any way I can. Feel free to ask me anytime. :metal:

4 Likes

Ah, I see it now. He’s on the edge of the building, kneeling on one leg and the other leg is pointing forward with his foot flat on the roof. Along with that, his upper body is leaning forward.

That does work!

5 Likes

He’s a bit twisty, but if you added some bullets coming at him that would work with him leaning the top of his body back while his legs kept running.

What I was thinking of for a more dramatic running shot is to really turn the hips towards the viewer. Something like this:

This is the first pencil on paper sketch I’ve done in ages and you can see all the smudges and erasing I did to try and get an angle that kind of looks right.
So tricky to do!

6 Likes