DC Fan Art Club: December 1 - 15, 2023 - The Clock King

Nicely done!

4 Likes

I drew the Terror Titans Clock King! This series (while short) sold me on Rose Wilson, and was my first (but hopefully not last) interaction with Clock King.

9 Likes

Really nice use of light and shadow!

5 Likes

I think the Clock King has Hourman in some trouble here.
Thanks @RobArt471 for providing the encouragement!

For inspiration, I used the work of Jorge Fornes (Rorschach, Danger Street). He creates fantastic backgrounds and just happens to place super-powered people in them.

Here’s an example:

8 Likes

Thanks for the credit, but truly it is yours to begin with here.

There is so much to unpack.

1. Perspective is phenomenal! :metal::metal:
  2. The whole this is proportionate to each other! So hard to do. :fire::fire:
  3. The composition, specifically angle, is stupendous!! :metal::fire:
  4. Details. :metal::metal::fire::fire:

I will stop there, but this is my favorite piece of art you have ever done.

5 Likes

This is amazing. Great use of black and white. Pure magic here. :metal::metal::fire::fire:

4 Likes

I love the way you drew this!

3 Likes

Thank so you much Rob.

Let me tell a bit about how I put this together.

When you urged me to try CK vs Hourman, this image with the clock tower is what first came to mind, but I wasn’t sure I could pull it off.

Then I remembered Jorge Fornes work and thought, y’know, not every line needs to be straight and not every figure needs to be super defined. He really is quite good at this sort of thing.

So I started looking at pictures of clock towers. I was looking for something with a platform above the clock itself so CK could look all menacing.

Turns out Liverpool is a great place for clock towers!

I used an actual picture for reference and then skipped some of the finer details of the architecture. Some of it is so intricate. It’s really amazing.

Anyway, I wanted to simplify it a bit into some basic shapes. So that became one layer of the digital pic.

When I added the figures on the layer above, I think CK turned out a bigger than Hourman initially. I had to widen Hourman up a bit and still think he could use a little more. It was close to throwing off the whole scale, so I stopped where it was. Keeping the proportion really is quite challenging!

I’m always unsure if following reference too closely is too much of a shortcut. But when dealing with buildings and backgrounds, I’m no architect and couldn’t just draw that from memory.

So glad to hear you liked the way it turned out.

4 Likes

Thank you so much!

5 Likes

@JKoco17 @DreamingGirlWonder @LastSon0fMars @RobArt471 thanks for the complements!

6 Likes

“You’re right on time!”

10 Likes

Of course you didn’t do either one. You did them both!! Nice job, bro! :metal::metal:

4 Likes

I grew up with the BTAS version and really liked his simple but effective design.
I honestly was not aware of the other version but he had such a cool look I couldn’t resist.

3 Likes

That’s a nice multiverse crossover I’d like to see.

4 Likes

Lol nice tag line. This is great! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@RobArt471
Looks awesome™:+1:
Cool combo of the prompts. Nice with how expressive you made CK with body language.

@Cradle2theGabe
Awesome™:+1:. Nice badge concept.

@kkovacs12.64762
Looks awesome™:+1:. Very cool concept with hat. Nice shading too.

@ecargnito
Awesome™:+1:. Really great with the lighting

@JKoco17
Looks awesome™:+1:. Really great with the building design. And cool idea of the trap with hourman.

@ImpulseMaxMercury
Awesome™:+1:
Nice concept with the two versions together.

3 Likes

Went with the Brave and the bold design. My favorite of his looks. Had fun with this one. Like how it came out.

8 Likes

Nicely done with the use of the gears. CK himself is very well done, clean and crisp line work. The colors set the whole thing off. :metal::metal::fire:

2 Likes

I love how you did the colors on this one! Suuuuper clean looking

3 Likes

2 Likes