DC Fan Art Club: August 2023 Spotlight - Blue Beetle, The Question and Captain Atom

Hi @DCFanArtClub! August is here and it brings with it another DC movie in theaters. This time it is none other than The Blue Beetle on August 18!!

The movie features the current Blue Beetle Jamie Reyes, but I figured we could pull in all of the Charlton Heroes for our spotlight this month.

Who are the Charlton Heroes (I’m guessing someone was thinking that question)??

Charlton Comics was founded all the way back in 1945 and went out of business in 1986. At that time, DC bought the rights to all of the Charlton Action Heroes which included familiar names such as Captain Atom, The Question, Blue Beetle, Peacemaker, Nightshade, Thunderbolt, Judomaster and Sarge Steel.

Many of the characters were created by the legendary Steve Ditko. Over the years DC has introduced a new generation to follow in the footsteps of the original characters. Jaime Reyes followed Ted Kord as the Blue Beetle and Renee Montoya followed Vic Sage as the Question, just to name a couple. For our purposes, any version of the characters is eligible.

One other claim to fame for the Charlton Heroes is that Alan Moore originally wanted to use them in Watchmen, but when DC saw what he planned to do to them, they convinced him to create all new characters instead. Nite Owl was based on Blue Beetle, Rorschach was based on The Question, Dr Manhattan was Captain Atom…you get the idea. Pretty cool, huh?

Post your thoughts and work in the thread below and thanks for being a part of the art club here at DC Universe Infinite!

Due Date: August 31, 2023

Discussion, works-in-progress and final submission all in the thread below.

You do not have to be a member of the DC Fan Art Club to submit to this thread, but we’d love to welcome you to the group! Find out more here.

Terms & Conditions: I understand that by participating in the DC Universe Community Forums that I am agreeing to the Fan Art Guidelines , which include not creating new storylines or characters, not soliciting for compensation or payment, and will follow the standards of the Community Guidelines .

18 Likes

Yes! I’ve been struggling with faces lately, so the Question will be an easy one. This is a good lineup

11 Likes

Had feelings Beetle would be this month. Definitely have some ideas him.
As for Questions and Atom. Sounds awesome™:+1:.

9 Likes

ALERT
ALERT
THE BOY IS HERE

Please remember to tag me in all Question fan works so that I may gaze upon them

14 Likes

Gonna try to do some of these this month. In the meantime, here’s a sketch I did of Question I did fairly recently:

@HubCityQuestion

15 Likes

@HubCityQuestion

14 Likes

nice little tip about the sleeve when the arm goes up the sleeve hangs down the empty space would be at the bottom of the arm not the top

6 Likes

@HubCityQuestion

15 Likes

@Jay_Kay @storyteller91 @TheRealDetectiveChimp Really great work!!
Loving all of them. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :clap: :clap: :

I just saw the August spotlight, and I’m right in the middle of doing another project, but I did draw Blue Beetle and Question a while back… I’m sure y’all have seen them, but since I’m in the middle of something, I thought I’d repost them

Loving all the pieces. Can’t wait to see more!!!
Love y’all Fam

16 Likes

nice

6 Likes

a two in one nice

6 Likes

So the answer to the question of what we’ll see first is the Question! :grin:

Great work all around. Thanks for jumping in right away @Jay_Kay, @storyteller91, @TheRealDetectiveChimp and @bigblock66!

9 Likes

I based my Blue Beetle piece from the design used in Blue Beetle Graduation Day. There is a ton of energy just crackling out of those pages!

Pretty fun limited series too. Same creative team will be on a new ongoing series starting in a month or two.

13 Likes

nice it looks Christmasy

6 Likes

12 Likes

Stage 1.
We shall see how painting goes.

15 Likes

cool

5 Likes

I know those geometric shapes all over the Beetle armor are tricky, but you’ve got the basic structure down.

Keep going with it. See if you can add those claw-like things that come over his shoulders and then the ones around his waist.

All the connecting pieces kind of help in the end if you’re able to fit them all.

7 Likes

That’s very cool. So that’s 3D printed, right?

Do you create the model yourself or are there templates to start from?

7 Likes

okay I’ll try I’ll also try a pencil instead of the water color one I was using you can’t remove any work you do with them you see I thought it was a blue one when I started out I was going to make up for the details with light and shadow work but it was a black one instead so it was a no go pencil is my most use tool but I kind of want to try something with pastel where its blues outline against an orange sky

6 Likes