DC Daily needs to add an older viewpoint

I just watched the DC Daily episode for November 29, 2018. The discussion was about the first episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold. All of the panel 's views were valid and accurate for people their age. References and comparisons were made to Batman 66. I feel that a viewpoint of someone who was around at that time . Most of us still enjoy watching and reading the new stuff . I would like hear from my age group as well. Thank You for the forum

8 Likes

Hi Marty61, thank you for the feedback! I agree, itā€™s great to add different perspectives to a conversation. Since we didnā€™t have an older generation for this conversation, Iā€™m curious what your thoughts are- please share if youā€™re comfortable! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™m 64, and I agree with Marty, you need an older perspective

2 Likes

Hi Marty

I am older too. My handle includes my date of birth. I am 68. Turok was my favorite hero, in Dell comics. I loved the dinosaurs in his comic when I was a kid.

For the past week, I have been commenting on the threads. I even added one, describing my 6 favorite fan fiction stories.

I tried to see if Search could show me the threads I contributed to, but Search did not recognize my name and delivered 0 results, not even giving me the thread I created.

Replying to threads is addicting and I will probably minimize my response soon. I have a month to do self physical therapy to learn to walk again, or I will have to resign my job as a mainframe computer programmer, after 44 years there. That was where my life was. I feel helpless struggling to walk and it feels good if I reply to a thread and get a reply or even a ā€˜likeā€™. But that is an illusion in communicating, not real life. Some of the members here are alone and isolated.

I liked Batman 66 very much, maybe not even realizing it was parody when I was 16 or so.

My favorites lines were between Catwoman and Batman at the end of one episode

Catwoman But it was a good plan, wasnā€™t it?
Batman. One of your best, Catwoman.

Those lines remind me of how in the movie Harvey, Elwood P Dowd ( Jimmy Stewart) said, ā€œIn life, you can be oh so smart , or oh so kind. I 've tried both. Kinder is better.ā€

I only watched Brave and Bold once, recently. It was the Doom Patrol episode. It did a nice job on the sacrifice of their lives at the end of Their first series. It is not my favorite series.

What I did not like about Batman 66 was what it did to DC comics. Writers in their forties and fifties were told to use teenage lingo. Before that, DC did not have much personality, but they were role models holding down real jobs, which the readers saw, rather than always being in their super hero costumes. They had relations with normal human beings, not just other super heroes. Iris West and Carol Ferris were important. The heroes were people of high morals and often used scientific ideas to defeat the villain, who usually only robbed banks, not killed people.

In an attempt to cash in on Batman 66, all the good guys and the bad guys in DC comics became silly and that was unforgivable.

5 Likes

TurokSonOfStone, first and foremost please get well. You make some extremely valid points about the app and the sixties mentalities of comic books. I started reading comics because of the ā€œcampyā€ Batman '66 show and my friends and me (at age ten) did not know it was a send-up, so the comics we read seemed just a natural extension. Thankfully Denny Oā€™Neill and Neal Adams returned Batman to his roots after the show ran in course, and in doing so helped to create the modern comic book. As for DC Daily, I donā€™t watch it regularly. But feature creators like Wolfman, Oā€™Neill, and Adams and I would gladly tune in. Their insights would be both educational and entertaining

4 Likes

@TurokSonOfStone1950, we are absolutely in agreement about the limitations of the forum functionality, and Iā€™m very excited to show off some new projects we have in the works to improve the flow.

But more to the point, I wish you a speedy recovery. Itā€™s very hard to self-motivate, and if thereā€™s anything we can do as a community to help inspire you please let us know. You can even let us know in the ā€œrandomā€ section or something when youā€™ve accomplished even small goals that day. I promise that we are all cheering you on.

These forums are not a replacement for real life, but with the way the world is changing they do offer a really special resource for finding like-minds. Sometimes our friends just donā€™t get how deep our passions run. Iā€™ve come to feel like I personally know many of the people on these forums, and the mods and I have developed some really important relationships.

Itā€™s great to hear your perspective! Itā€™s interesting to know that the issue of certain properties affecting the overall brand has been a cycle throughout the years. And even more interesting to think about how these heroes have enough integrity to survive those challenges.

2 Likes

Iā€™m 40 and agree that an older perspective is badly needed. I had to stop watching DC Daily because the ā€œcommentaryā€ seems to be painfully scripted and skewed toward a younger audience. It was really frustrating to listen to some of those panels but I finally realized I probably wasnā€™t part of the key demo/audience theyā€™re trying to reach and just stopped watching. I thought John Barrowman was going to provide the older voice as a balance to the younger viewpoint but heā€™s an actor with things to do and hasnā€™t really been around much since the launchā€¦ or maybe he has been and I havenā€™t noticed.

3 Likes

Than you.

i had a class with Denny Oā€™Neil at New York University even school in 2009, Ten session. Part of that course Denny sent to Bleeding Cool and is still available in the Internet.

I was privileged to write a treatment and an entire issue, using comic books specifications, for Denny, and submitted it to him. Unfortunately he never reviewed it.

It was called the Dark Forces and set before America joined. World War 2. Joan Wayne is working on the super soldier formula , when a enemy spy comes in. She swallows the potion and burns her records, before the spy ā€˜killsā€™ her.

We watch as the bullets get pushed out of her body. Major Steve Taylor contacts her and she demonstrates her new abilities. She trains and an unidentified, to the reader., Lady Blackhawk, pilots her to Romania. There she battles a werewolf, who she finds later is part of the Resistance she is to join. There is a beautiful lady Vampire, who is the leader. The character I enjoyed most was a young male gypsy.

I wrote: Lucian ( werewolf in human form) is carrying a small struggling smallish, teenage boy. The gypsy has a slight mustache. He is a thief. Think of him as our Aladdin, Robin Hood, Robin and Douglas Fairbanks figure.

There is more. But I was stealing heavily from Rod Sterlingā€™s Night Gallery episode, called The Devil is not mocked, where German Nazis soldiers intrude into a castle. The owner of the castle ignores their insults and provides the officers dinner. Night comes and there is howling everywhere. Then the Germans are shooting their guns everywhere. We see a soldier being dragged from the floor but donā€™t see who is dragging. Then the owner reveals that he is the head of the resistance, consisting of werewolves and vampires. He is Dracula.

1 Like

Turocksonofstone1950, I agree with your point about the ā€œmodā€ talk of the 1960ā€™s Titans, it was terrible. Last week I tried to reread some of the old T.T. books from back then, letā€™s just say they didnā€™t hold up all that well. Strangely, the original Batman comics from the 1940ā€™s donā€™t have that problem.

1 Like

Hi abfgnsw

The reason I tried searching my handle was to give the original poster, Marty, an easy way to find my stuff. He said he wanted to hear what other older members thought about things. I know what threads I contributed to, about 16 this week, and reduced it to six bookmarks. One other thing I found out is if a Mod moves a thread to another area, you canā€™t delete the bookmark until you find out where it was moved to. Then you can bookmark where it is now, and then you are able to delete both bookmarks.

I have to cut back because I am spending too much time here in two ways.

First, writing the reply itself. My replies tend to be long and often stray from the point like the reply above this. I am very slow in typing, that is why I donā€™t participate in the Friday night Titans event. The other is that I donā€™t have two devices, one to watch the show, the other to type responses. But I do follow the responses while rather easily determining where the show is at that moment. That is because I watched the show twice already that day, once at 6 am.

The second season I have to cut my time here, is that I am constantly waiting for a reply to my reply. That is a sign of an addictive personality. I should and will, look at this site, at most three times a day. Today, I was on almost all day, from 6 am on. That is not a good use of my time. Later, if I exercise every half hour, I can use visiting this site as a reward, but not now. I have to break the addiction.

I have use of my legs. I .just canā€™t move very far. I live in a city, in an apartment building. I find it very hard even to go to get my mail, much less put mail in the mailbox, get food by myself, go to the bank, or buy a comic book. It has been this way, off and on, for two years now. I have other symptoms. I can get intense vertigo. If I donā€™t eat every three hours, I get dizzy and then canā€™t walk at all. I weigh three hundred pounds.

I have to do exercises that make me dizzy, so my brain can attempt to deal with failures in my eye, ear, feet and balance systems. I know what the exercises are. I just have to do them. I donā€™t have to log on to this site to see if anybody liked my response.

I have to walk every half hour. I have to lift small weights and use resistance bands. I have to do stretching exercises. I have to force myself to do these things, yet not over stress myself so I hurt myself or canā€™t do exercises the next day.

I am not depressed or in need of a pep talk. I know how to do this. I lost forty pound when I was in high school. I sometimes get angry with myself, that I donā€™t do my exercises. Other times, I take the path of least resistance, like surfing the internet.

2 Likes

I just pressed like because some of those kids make me feel really old, though it is refreshing to watch sometimes. I t was nice to see John Barrowmanā€™s interview the other day since heā€™s around my age. I love it that Black Lightening is also from my generation. DC has such a long and rich history and itā€™s very good about embracing it, in spite if the occasional continuity reboot.

2 Likes

Thank you very much.

1 Like