DC Daily cast & Social Media

So, I recently took to Twitter to follow some of my favorite DC related ppl out there. Most but not all of the DC Daily cast post some really great content on social media. I recently ran into some posts from one of them that were really mean, aggressive and vulgar.

I understand that being off the clock leaves you with your liberties to act as you please. But people like Jim Lee are 100% respectful all the time and that’s admirable. Almost heroic to say the least, he leads by example.

With that said, there is a hashtag that’s trying to gain traction which is #savedcdaily which was started by the cast. Well, that’s great and everything but try to be nice on social media too that way you can attract non DC Universe customers to participate in the movement as well.

Even if you’re off the clock so to speak, you are still representing DC Comics when you are trying to promote the show on social media. It’s important to retain a certain composure when you are in the public eye especially when you are weaving in your personal and professional life together. Which is what I do.

I work in the CGI industry and with all of my customers purchasing my content online I make it a point to not curse or act mean on social media. It’s just a great harmony to have. That’s with my own business, so you best believe I would do the same ten fold if I was also weaving in my employer’s business as well.

Lastly, I understand that the opinions expressed outside of “work” are not in direct connection with the opinions of the business entity you work for/or are contracted to. Well, with that in mind then you shouldn’t merge those two together outside of work because it doesn’t mesh well together. Especially when your employer of sorts has a massive online presence.

Kids read comics, kids have social media. Kids will follow you on social media and look up to you as “that person who works for/with DC Comics”. Play the part. A really great example on making the two coexist together nicely is Clarke Wolfe’s Twitter account. She weaves the two together online very well, a great example overall.

The result of this all is that I unfollowed most of the DC Daily cast as some of the ugly content coming from their accounts was becoming overall too predominent in my feed.

Thanks for reading, sorry for any typos and take care.

3 Likes

You know I did the same as you did last week, I follow them on Twitter, when I started seeing some four letter words then I started losing interest, I deactivated my account few days ago. Being on Twitter is not for me, I wish all the DC Daily castmembers the best.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Same here, it spiked within the last two weeks as well. There were other moments in the past as well but more so in the last two weeks. My Twitter account wasn’t really necessary to have for my business so I deactivated it as well a couple of days ago. I mainly started using it again just for DC stuff but that didn’t work out as we now see.

2 Likes

Who and what was being put?

2 Likes

Shouldn’t people be allowed to express themselves how they choose, even if they’re public figures? It’s not like DC Universe is a service for children. The cast covers shows like Harley Quinn and Doom Patrol, after all.

2 Likes

dub post

2 Likes

To keep the topic respectful and relevant to DC Comics and the site itself I choose to be vague.

2 Likes

If you read my post in it’s entirety there’s an answer to that and that question is addressed as well.

2 Likes

I did read your post in its entirety, I just don’t feel like it’s enough of a justification for censorship. Legally, a Twitter user must be 13 or older to use the site, as far as the terms and conditions are concerned. You won’t see them post anything much worse than you’d hear or see on Adult Swim.

2 Likes

Guess I’ve been spoil on DC Universe, where the Moderators keep this place clean, Yes the cast member have every right to express how they feel, but when they start using a strong language more then once, it does get uncomfortable to read. Not everybody is comfortable with strong language, that’s why I don’t watch Titans or Doom Patrol.

2 Likes

Hi,

Censorship, yikes. Yeah I’m not talking about censoring anyone. It’s clear that I am talking about the choice to mix in work with personal social media accounts.

Common sense tells you most ppl that follow a person on social media that is linked back to DC Daily, follows them because of DC Daily. So you head in that direction due to that and amidst all the aggressive posts with ugly language, drama and so on they are promoting DC content.

That’s not really tasteful and again, like I mentioned before. Clarke Wolfe does a good job of mixing in the two because she knows customers of DC Comics are viewing her account. That’s a responsible approach.

So yeah, I am not talking about censorship, Rated-R content and whatnot but rather drama, aggressive arguments and at times putting people down publically. I personally wasn’t a victim of the aforemention but it left a bad taste nonetheless.

Thanks for reading.

2 Likes

Yes and to build on the topic of what some are comfortable with or not. It’s best to play it safe especially when you are linked back to something as huge as DC Comics. That’s why I followed most of the DC Daily cast or use to. But it’s not all of them, just some.

1 Like

I’m not sure that’s true, in this case. Every one of the cast members involved in DC Daily come from high profile backgrounds, and are involved in multiple projects – many of which range on mature. Clarke Wolfe, for instance, works in horror. Sam Humphries writes mature independent comics. Samm Levine and Harley Quinn Smith were both in Quentin Tarantino movies! Their media footprints are much bigger than our talk show.

2 Likes

@ParallaxCreates I agree with you. Maybe it’s my business background as I was in sales. I avoided social media as I didn’t need “heated discussions” to reflect badly on my personal and business reputation.

My wife is on Facebook and she had to block a college friend of mine because of his vocal opinions. I take an interest in politics and social issues but I can’t and don’t expect to control what my friends and family say even if I agree or disagree. It’s not censorship, it’s common sense in my mind.

Social media is public and the internet never forgets. Mom used to say “if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” Good words to live by. I’ve said it on DCU before, I don’t understand saying negative things, I get enough of that in real life, I want to lift people up and this is the place to do it.

1 Like

Okay

You know what they say, never mix business with pleasure. And that seems to resonate now more than ever because of social media.

Speaking of by products of another person’s followers or connections. Retweets were one of the problems I was seeing in my feed too. Pretty annoying when it’s a Retweet of someone you don’t even follow that’s Joker type of crazy.

1 Like

You know what I’m sorry. My original reply was simply an “Okay” and that’s because you assumed I didn’t know who any of these people were, kind of like how you assumed I was wanting there to be censorship of some kind.

To clarify, and I’ll use myself as an example. I only bothered to follow the ones I hadn’t already because of DC Daily. I know of Harley (her dad Kevin is an awesome person), Sam Levine (though I was never a fan) but nonetheless I know of them.

I only followed any of them because of DC Daily, seemed like a natural thing to do being they are potraying a source of DC Comics related info.

1 Like