DC Current Earth

im confused
almost everything ive read addressing the current dc universe basically says that prime earth is the rebooted version of new-earth and that makes total sense to me since its rebooted its different but i could have sworn ive seen people online calling them different earths even though its just been treated as the same earth by dc just with alterations due to rebooting

4 Likes

Same Earth aa one started in New 52

5 Likes

yes i know the earth started during new52 is the current earth
but dc has quite literally shown and said its the same as new-earth but rebooted
yet i still see people claim they are different earths

4 Likes

People claim wrong things all the time.

5 Likes

Recently on the Modern Superman club thread, the question came up asking if the issues selected were canon and the answer was yes. The issue in question was a pre-COIE issue. So what’s canon now?

4 Likes

we know current superman is a combo of all previous ones or something like that so it kinda makes sense that a pre-coie thing can be canon (probably as long as canon doesnt get too messed up from it)

3 Likes

Everything apparently. In other words nothing. The current canon is whatever the current creative team wants it to be, similar to how my wife is whatever she wants to be.

5 Likes

Oh good! I don’t feel like the outsider anymore. The reason why I’ve been so hesitant reading some stories/runs is due to the insane amount of rebooting the DCU does.

4 Likes

the current continuity is basically post crisis and new52 combined
you can say some things are canon from older stuff like classic superman stuff
but its mostly just post crisis and new52

3 Likes

Good question @wrrrryyyy12

The explanation I see often is that we still are on the earth that was established in the new 52 including the changes made in the soft reboot of the rebirth era (My favorite era).
So currently we are in Infinite/Dawn era where pre-new 52, Pre-crisis stuff is “possibly” all canonical now, but vague enough so that history, events and characterization can be retrospectively changed.

3 Likes

i highly doubt alot of stuff from pre-crisis is canon probably just some
however im pretty sure post crisis is canon

3 Likes

most of it i mean
not everything will be

2 Likes

You’ll be surprised.

So like I know that they brought back Hop Harrigan in the comics and he’s a old character. His history is still canonical, but the magic of DC, it’s said his history was erased by time lords or something.

It implies with the Young Justice Society kids as well. Some of them are old DC characters, but are retrospectively changed as well.

3 Likes

do you mean the young justice society ?

3 Likes

Edited it. Yeah. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

the way i see it is
a majority of post crisis is canon again but writers can pull whatever they want from any era and overwrite canon

for some characters its very clear they have gone back to their pre-new52 history
example (cassandra cain) she went back to her post crisis history as shown in spirit world but it seems to be altered
when cass got killed in her solo series it is now by gun and not by shiva’s skill (although i assume she used skill to beat cass and then a gun)

3 Likes

the perspective i have on it and that some writers seem to have is that
prime earth has 2 timelines
the post crisis and new52 timeline
those have been apparently merged after death metal (before that wally west had two different memories of meeting barry one with wallace and then the original one) while for other characters like another example superboy have now seemingly merged with their new52 replacements (action comics 1057)

3 Likes

wally and wallace is an exception but dc has made it clear they are literally different people

3 Likes

One of My favorite YouTubers had a awesome comment for this and a major reason why I love DC over Marvel comics. While Marvel continuity informs the lore. DC CONTINUITY IS THE LORE. It makes all this nonsense kind of amazing in its own way. If anything, I dislike the idea of switching DC to a Marvel “rubber band model” because I love the chaos of trying to make rules for continuity. Hyper time and the Multiverse 52 Earths map are still iconic for that very reason.

3 Likes

ive got another panel to find but action comics helps with what i mean

4 Likes