DC Community Roll Call: Tell Us About Yourself!

@iJest , do you ever visit Ithaca for Comics for Collectors or the Ithacon?

4 Likes

@Vroom high fives you back yeah I fell in love after my brother introduced me to HxH lol. What type of anime you into? I’m always looking for new content to watch👍🏼

6 Likes

@Don-El, I haven’t! I’ve never been to Ithaca for anything, but maybe I will look into it! I always seem to never know that comic cons are even coming to this area until it’s already too late.

4 Likes

@deku_, I’m game for most anything (except the Dragonball series). I got into anime in high school when Gundam Wing was on Toonami and it just blew up from there.

Mecha was my favorite genre but now I don’t have a favorite. Akira is my favorite anime movie while Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop are my favorite shows. Another movie I really like is Redline.

6 Likes

@iJest, the Cons in Rochester and Syracuse NY haven’t been too impressive. I would like to check out Buffalo one of these days, some comic store there I am hearing has a great yearly sale.

4 Likes

I am from Albuquerque, New Mexico.
I got into comics because people I followed on tumblr were posting panels from Batman: Hush and Under the Red Hood so I wanted to check it out and ended up reading most comic titles that feature Jason Todd and now I read a ton of other comic titles too.
My favorite DC character is Jason Todd. I recommend Deadpool (Marvel I know) and the Sandman comics to others who don’t read many comics and now I’ll be recommending Titans as a good show you can enjoy without being a huge comic fan, since it’s just a good show.
Perfect casting for Jason is not possible because the perfect Jason would be Dexter Soy’s art of Jason come to life. I do like Curan Walters a whole lot though for young Jason
My other interests outside of DC include reading horror novels and watching horror movies, and I’m also a Star Trek fan .
And I can eat pineapple on Pizza if I’m in the mood (admittedly rarely), but what I never have on my pizza is cheese on account of being a vegan

7 Likes

I live in DC lul (Washington)
I got into comics through constant interest in those characters in other media
The first comic I ever read was a Batman Beyond
My favorite DC hero is Batman Beyond
I always recommend Young Justice and the DCAU movies to new people
TBH I never cared about casting. I best like my favorite characters animated
I guess my other hobby would be Marvel Comics lol (Ultimate Spider-Man was my favorite. Very schway indeed)

9 Likes

I prefer to be secret sometimes. But ayy Tim Drake is the best and my favorite

2 Likes

:diamonds:

3 Likes

Live in New York City, near Bronx Zoo

Loved Dinosaurs as kid. Dell Comics Turok. Detective Comics issue with mechanical dinosaur, now in bat cave, then JLA

Fav characters Green Lantern Jessica Cruz and Helena Wayne of Earth 2, daughter of Batman and Catwoman

Comics for new reader

Problems little for young readers except Shazam. Maybe Bendis Wonder Comics.
Reading most comics means need to know a lot about character and DC Universe already.

For young readers and anybody else who enjoys a good, uncomplicated story.

In library The Batman Adventures may be too grim
Superman Adventures (some written by Scott McCloud, Applejack)

Not in Library.
Justice League Adventures, Justice League Unlimited
Legion of Superheroes in 31st Century
Supergirl Cosmic Adventures in 8th grade.

For Young teenagers

Batman in Library detective comics. 471 to 476
Superman Lois and Clark
Wonder Woman Rebirth Year one
Supergirl Being Super
Legion of Super Heroes Beginning of Tomorrow

Then Matt Wagner Trinity
New Frontier by Darwyn Cookes

Wonder Woman portrayed by Lynda Carter, Gal Gidot

Hobbies Streaming Movies on tablet very recent. Until 2 years ago, wrote, including Novel in a month. Reading Genre and Non Fiction.

Can’t eat pizza any more makes me dizzy

4 Likes

Salutations!

• New Jersey
  • “The Flash” TV show from 1990 got me into comics.
  • Hero: The Flash, Villain: The Joker
  • Comic: Start with The Flash (Wally West) June 1987, TV Show: Arrow (funny how my pick wasn’t the The Flash), Movie: Batman (1989)
  • Eh, not into fan casting.
  • other interest: martial arts and marvel (can I say that here?)
  • no pineapple, black olives and chicken only.

Booyah :dragon_face:

6 Likes

I’m from Colorado
Not really into comics
Harley Quinn, batman,cw arrow /supergirl ,riddler, raven, wonder woman name a few favorites
I’m a universal nerd and mostly tim Burton fan ( user name explain ) and I’m a fan of remakes that don’t fallow storylines cause it gives a new look I enjoy films for what they offer
And all meat pizza only

5 Likes

@BatBoy1138, sorry I missed your comment earlier! I think I was typing a reply at the same time so it flew by me. I really enjoy the Switch for some games, but tried Diablo on it recently and struggled compared with my PS4. Got any recommendations?

@Nathan.Payson, I was just in your fair city, as you know! Are there any comic shops I should hit next time I’m in the area?

@BWMorris, that’s wonderful you have so many books published! I wish I could write but I just don’t have the focus. It’s a form of willpower to rival the Green Lanterns. Are your books fiction or non-fiction? And your secret identity is safe with us :slight_smile:

@Manifest, you sound like the perfect balance of bad@ss and nerdy. I’m going to guess your D&D alignment is….Neutral Good?

@elegantbutler.52128, I gotta say I’m fascinating by your answer. 1. Heavy Metal, hell yeah. But 2. you’ve now got me listening to Imaginos and I’m hooked. This team up must happen.

@JasonTodd428, “…and found a treasure trove of old comics one rainy Sunday in an old trunk in their attic.“ What imagery. I feel like a fly on the wa ll. Are you a writer, too? If not, you should be- I’m sure an analysis on the evolution of baseball via the Cubs would have a huge audience.

@IamSpectre94, heya fellow SoCal friend! Do you ever find yourself touring the Burbank area? Fist bump for Alan Moore’s Watchmen. I disagree with some elements of the Watchmen movie, but the casting was poifect.

@Don-El, I can personally testify to your talents at bringing people together. I’ve always enjoyed hopping into the Discord chats with you and Nathan.Payson when I have a chance. I’ve never heard the phrase “accountability small groups”, but it makes a lot of sense. I’ll have to check out your string-plucking on YT sometime, but I’ve got @elegantbutler’s recommendation of Imaginos playing right now.

@bloodviolet, I was wondering if that’s why Netflix got so much K-Drama in their library! Makes a lot of sense. I love Jim Butcher’s work, I bet he could turn any genre into a masterpiece. I don’t personally watch Dr. Who, but I was imagining with a Regency romance interest that it might fall into your wheelhouse. Why? Who knows. I have inklings that don’t pan out.

@Stone3, I would totally watch Jon Hamm as Batman. He has that balance of humor and smolder that I loved in Michael Keaton.

@Truth_of_Pisces, you would rather DIE than eat pineapple pizza?! What can I say, I admire someone with conviction.

@legoscoobydoo, awesome!! I hope you don’t get asked this a lot, but are you looking forward to the LEGO movie sequel? I’m super excited for it, and love what the movie franchise has done for the LEGO toy line. Feel free to share your work if you feel up to it!

@iJest, oh haaai!! I wouldn’t have taken you for a villain-type, you’re so friendly! But they are the best way to explore our own challenges with right and wrong. Can we please chat about Stephen King sometime? Meeting him in my lifetime would put a big check on my bucket list. :penguin::penguin::penguin:

@AKSteve what a beautiful pupper! I want to visit Alaska someday just to see where they filmed The Thing.

@Summers, ah, another SoCal resident- hiya! Let us know if you’re ever taking a tour of Warner Bros.
You’re such a good writer, it’s hard to believe you had trouble reading when you were little. What a great dad :slight_smile:

@HarleenNapier, you’ve got one of my all time favorite Alex Ross paintings as your icon, thanks for putting it in front of my peepers! LOL, “definitely smash that pizza with my mallet”. Amazing.

@dapayperboy, sup suuup? Where can we hear your music? Inquiring minds want to know!

7 Likes

Musician/Bassist from Puerto Rico.
Hero: Batman
Villain: Joker
I love many characters like the Flash, Green Lantern, Hawkgirl, Nightwing, Firestorm, Harley Quinn, Aquaman, Wonder Woman, Green Arrow, Plastic Man, Catwoman, Poison Ivy, Red Tornado, Starfire, etc…
IT’S ALL ABOUT DC!!!:blue_heart:

5 Likes

@JaysonTodd, you’re in the perfect place- there’s a lot of love for Red Hood and Jason Todd around here, way more than any of us in the office anticipated! I was just talking about my adoration for Star Trek in another thread. TNG is my jam, but I also love the gritty approach to DS9. Way to turn that pizza question on its head! @PhantomZX10, haha you’re writing straight from the source! IDK if you caught Into the Spiderverse yet but the daring artwork and use of text bubbles blew my mind.

@Red.Robin.Allen, definitely respect that, and you’ve got a lot of friends here who would agree with you on Tim Drake :slight_smile: Your secret’s safe with us!

@HaruTheCatGirl
:heart::black_heart:

@TurokSonOfStone1950, I love that you broke out your recommendations based on age, and you’re right, you have to know a lot about the characters to get into the comics in the first place. I think that’s why it’s so hard for some people. But watching Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman is easy :slight_smile:

@thejerseymonk, greetings and salutations! Hahaha, we have lots of Marvel love here :slight_smile: I’ve heard from martial arts that everyone needs a “rabbit” in their lives- a competitor that keeps you alert and healthy. My hope is that Marvel and DC do that for each other. Would love to hear what martial arts you’re studying if you see this!

@Pumpkinking, did you like Tim Burton’s Batman and Batman Returns? A few of us from the community watched it together before the holidays and it was a riot. It’s cool to hear that even if you’re not into comics, you still love DC enough to join the community here. Good to have you :slight_smile:

@Moe.Vargas, where can we hear your work?? We have so many musicians on this forum, we should get you all together! And I’m afraid I have to agree with your sentiment about DC :wink:

6 Likes

@Applejack

Thanks for the welcome!

I study and teach Jeet Kune Do (the Way Of the Intercepting Fist) developed by none other than the man himself, Bruce Lee.

https://cdn.funcheap.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Celebrity-Image-Enter-The-Dragon-1973-2509201-249x268.jpg

6 Likes

I’m from the Bay Area, the West Coast is completely underrepresented in all comic books. WC Avengers not enough.
My cousin got me into comicbooks back in the 80’s, but the characters & artists (!) got me engrossed.
Fave DC character was Doomsday until BVS:DOJ ruined him. So I’ll go w/ Harley Quinn.
I recommend Christopher Reeves Superman. I know obvious but well done.
Perfect casting was RDJ as Tony Stark n Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. Going forward Taylor Lautner as Superman / Cap’n America. It’s time 4 our superheroes 2 be diverse.
Other interests r sports, drinking, helping others (like my comic heroes), and doing my part to improve society (like my comic heroes).
Yeah pineapple is cool on my pizza. Pretty much down 4 whateva except anchovies! LOL
1 fellow comic aficionados

5 Likes

@thejerseymonk, that’s amazing!! Welp, I have to show you these pictures from my recent trip to Seattle. Had to go pay my respects here, even though it was raining pretty hard.

6 Likes

@thejerseymonk, also this amazing section at Scarecrow Video featuring films of actors who tried to fill the void after Lee’s death.

I just started reading Matthew Polly’s biography on Bruce Lee and it is stupendous. Hopefully if we run into each other around the forums sometime we can swap notes when I’ve read more of it. Lots of admiration for your skill set, that takes a lot of commitment.

6 Likes

@carlos_coronel.97443, I agree!! We don’t have nearly enough representation! I was thinking about this today after reading so many people’s comments. Many of not the majority of Marvel heroes are out of NYC or representations of NYC, but DC has a bit more Midwest representation. I wonder how that effects the fanbase? Thanks for joining in!

2 Likes