DC Community February Book Club: Static: Season One!

DON’T START NONE, WON’T BE NONE!

Y’all already know I’m stoked about this one!

Conceptualized by Vita Ayala and brought to life by Nikolas Drapier-Ivy’s amazing visuals, this series is more than just an aftershock — we’re looking at a completely new take on the '90s hero. Static: Season One breathes a modern air into young Virgil, Richie, and Frieda, as well as the societal issues playing the ultimate catalyst for Virgil’s intense new power. :zap:

In honor of Black History Month, come check out my boy Static & his new digs this Monday, February 5th! And remember, Static: Season One #1 - 3 will be free to read all week long, so head over to DCUI and get reading!

Static: Season One #1 Questions
  1. While reflecting on Richie and Frieda’s involvement in his new abilities, Virgil laments about the way they looked at him when he unleashed some of that power on the school bully, Hotstreak. Do you think it was a good idea for Virgil to have kept them in the loop about his superpowers, or do you think he’d have been better off keeping everything in the dark?

2. While sitting with his family at dinner, Virgil reflects on the way they stare at him like he’s fragile, and will break at any minute; contrarily, he also seems to wish that someone understood the deep, physical and mental pain he’s still in. Since everyone around him seems to be coming at it from the wrong angle, how do you think Virgil actually wants people to react to/handle his current situation, if not with extreme caution?

3. In terms of raw power alone, do you think Virgil would’ve stood a chance against Hotstreak had he not been an A.P. chemistry student, applying his scientific know-how to their fight?

4. In the original Static series, Virgil was introduced as a smart-mouthed kid who always erred on the side of a witty, instigative comeback. In this series, however, we see that the focus has shifted to the more serious side of him; we see that he’s dealing with a lot of leftover trauma and pain, and how he’s now much more reclusive, even if he tries to hide it. What do you think about this new take on Virgil? Do you think it’s more realistic and easier to immerse yourself in his universe, or are you more for the humor and wit of his original personality?

Static: Season One #2 Questions
  1. How do you feel about this iteration of Daisy being a Bang Baby?

2. Similar to one of the first few questions, why do you think the author chose to write Virgil as one who uses his powers in front of others? Of course, it’s not all the time and not always intentional, but up to this point, he’s been very secret about them in other series. Now we see his friends, family, and neighbors involved. What do you think the author’s intention was in changing it up?

3. Do you think there was ever any legitimacy to Hotstreak seeking refuge with Holocaust? Did he actually want to stand up for himself and other Bang Babies when he confronted the Army, or was it all about showing off his power and hurting others for the fun of it?

4. Do you think Virgil is afraid of becoming a “wanted” man like Icon/Curtis Metcalf, who he is continually compared to throughout this issue?

Static: Season One #3 Questions
  1. This issue starts off with Francis — aka Hotstreak — offering his abductor(s) the names of several Bang Babies in exchange for his own freedom. From the look on his face, he seems happy to do so. Now, this directly contradicts one of Francis’s earlier appearances, where he refused to rat out Virgil when they were fighting in the hallways, saying he was only all banged up “because he fell”. That being the case, do you think Francis actually WANTED to give up those names, or was he just doing it to save his own skin? Do you think it’s a matter of power and vengeance to him, or just a teenager doing whatever he needs to do to be free?

2. What do you think about not one, but TWO callbacks to Static’s previous costumes between his comic debut and Static Shock, the TV series? Do you think there was a specific authorial purpose for it, or just the writers & artists having fun?

3. In previous iterations of Virgil’s story, we’ve seen lives where his mom is no longer in the picture. Do you think this current story would’ve played out the same way if that were still the case? For instance, if Virgil had already known his family to have dealt with a great loss, do you think he could bear to get them involved with his powers? Do you think his dad would still be as understanding?

4. Do you think Curtis Metcalf was aware that he was putting Virgil in danger when he sent him to his warehouse? Being a wanted man, wouldn’t he have assumed the police were staking it out?

Don’t forget! The DC Community Book Club also comes with some sweet digital perks. Check out the wallpapers and bookmarks down below!

Desktop Wallpapers
Mobile Wallpapers
Bookmarks
12 Likes

Awesome™:+1: these were a fun read. Nice to read again. Really liked the art in it too.

8 Likes

First round of questions are up! :arrow_double_up:

VERY curious to hear everyone’s thoughts on this series.

5 Likes

W1

• While reflecting on Richie and Frieda’s involvement in his new abilities, Virgil laments about the way they looked at him when he unleashed some of that power on the school bully, Hotstreak. Do you think it was a good idea for Virgil to have kept them in the loop about his superpowers, or do you think he’d have been better off keeping everything in the dark?

I think in his case it was best to tell them. In the long run may be a problem but overall he needs people to talk to about this who aren’t parents or family. Other he can come to if he needs it involving this. It also would probably only hurt him lying and hiding from his friends

• While sitting with his family at dinner, Virgil reflects on the way they stare at him like he’s fragile, and will break at any minute; contrarily, he also seems to wish that someone understood the deep, physical and mental pain he’s still in. Since everyone around him seems to be coming at it from the wrong angle, how do you think Virgil actually wants people to react to/handle his current situation, if not with extreme caution?

I think he just wants people to act like it never happened. Act “normal”around him but he knows that won’t happen but still wants it during this time in his heroing.

• In terms of raw power alone, do you think Virgil would’ve stood a chance against Hotstreak had he not been an A.P. chemistry student, applying his scientific know-how to their fight?

Raw power maybe but there would be a lot of destruction and casualties.

• In the original Static series, Virgil was introduced as a smart-mouthed kid who always erred on the side of a witty, instigative comeback. In this series, however, we see that the focus has shifted to the more serious side of him; we see that he’s dealing with a lot of leftover trauma and pain, and how he’s now much more reclusive, even if he tries to hide it. What do you think about this new take on Virgil? Do you think it’s more realistic and easier to immerse yourself in his universe, or are you more for the humor and wit of his original personality?

Overall I think a good mix of two makes a good static but I don’t mind this more serious take. Always nice to explore different sides of a character.

4 Likes

Happy Book Club Monday! The next round of questions is UP! :zap:

3 Likes

I have these on my list to read. I watched a few episodes of the animated series as well. I’ll be back to answer questions.

5 Likes

W2

• How do you feel about this iteration of Daisy being a Bang Baby?

This was my first time seeing Daisy as this is the only static thing I’ve read. Only seen clips of the show and haven’t read the previous iterations (they’re on the list I’ll get to them eventually​:sweat_smile:) so seems interesting. Something new to explore in the static world.

• Similar to one of the first few questions, why do you think the author chose to write Virgil as one who uses his powers in front of others? Of course, it’s not all the time and not always intentional, but up to this point, he’s been very secret about them in other series. Now we see his friends, family, and neighbors involved. What do you think the author’s intention was in changing it up?

I think it’s to convey a sense of not hiding who you are. As other bang babies are being victimized and hurt fir there powers static learning to be more open with them give that sense of the symbol he is for the bbs to be proud of your change as oppose to ashamed.

• Do you think there was ever any legitimacy to Hotstreak seeking refuge with Holocaust? Did he actually want to stand up for himself and other Bang Babies when he confronted the Army, or was it all about showing off his power and hurting others for the fun of it?

Probably a mix of both.

• Do you think Virgil is afraid of becoming a “wanted” man like Icon/Curtis Metcalf, who he is continually compared to throughout this issue?

Yeah I think he’s afraid. As I mentioned before he’s still struggling with wanting things to still act like they’re normal. So being wanted is definitely not that. Also he’s a kid. What kid wants to be wanted.

1 Like

Final round of questions is UP!

Bonus Q — Overall, what did y’all think of this series?

2 Likes

W3

• This issue starts off with Francis — aka Hotstreak — offering his abductor(s) the names of several Bang Babies in exchange for his own freedom. From the look on his face, he seems happy to do so. Now, this directly contradicts one of Francis’s earlier appearances, where he refused to rat out Virgil when they were fighting in the hallways, saying he was only all banged up “because he fell”. That being the case, do you think Francis actually WANTED to give up those names, or was he just doing it to save his own skin? Do you think it’s a matter of power and vengeance to him, or just a teenager doing whatever he needs to do to be free?

Probably a mix of all that. The abductors pose more of a threat so he feels more in danger and is willing to give up those names as oppos to save himself. As for static he might have wanted him for himself hence not giving him up.

• What do you think about not one, but TWO callbacks to Static’s previous costumes between his comic debut and Static Shock, the TV series? Do you think there was a specific authorial purpose for it, or just the writers & artists having fun?

I think was having fun. Some good ol classic suit references.

• In previous iterations of Virgil’s story, we’ve seen lives where his mom is no longer in the picture. Do you think this current story would’ve played out the same way if that were still the case? For instance, if Virgil had already known his family to have dealt with a great loss, do you think he could bear to get them involved with his powers? Do you think his dad would still be as understanding?

It would definitely be different. I think it may have been slower but I think he would have revealed that either way. As for his dad’s understanding id say he would be stricter. That fear of losing someone else like his wife would definitely do that to him but he would have eventually came around.

• Do you think Curtis Metcalf was aware that he was putting Virgil in danger when he sent him to his warehouse? Being a wanted man, wouldn’t he have assumed the police were staking it out?

He probably knew but thought Virgil could handle it. Give him a chance to see what static can do.

1 Like

It was awesome™:+1:. I loved the art definitely something that drew me to it. Like the little milestone connections. The supporting cast never felt left out. And statics story was great. A nice intro to the character.

2 Likes