DC Book Club Vol. I - JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE TOTALITY (2018)

Yeah, that makes sense and is always a pretty logical way to go!

4 Likes

Looking forward to it !! (changed my screen name by the way)

3 Likes

Like the new screen name! Is this from Gears of War or World of Warcraft though? :eyes:

3 Likes

My gamertag on consoles.

4 Likes

I grew up on Saturday morning and after school afternoon cartoons. A popular thing is to take a word and stick something like “-or” at the end of the word to make a name. Stridor, Ninjor, Panthor, etc. etc. Was playing a two player game once and they prefilled in the second player name as Rival. Instead of deleting it and adding mine, I just added “or” and called myself “Rivalor”. The name stuck.

6 Likes

Cool username.:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes
  • I knew about Kendra, but now I want to learn more about her, and see more of her struggle with coming to grips with the changes she has been facing.
  • OK, yes, Batman ALWAYS has secret plans, but what the heck would he even do this for? In case Chairface comes over from the Tick and decides to write his name on it? I mean, seriously, WHY???
  • UH, ya, that Batman put bombs IN THE MOON!
  • When reading comics often comedy can add to it, but the writer has to be careful and keep in mind the tone they want to convey. If you take a historical perspective, look at Sensational She-Hulk, that used comedy through most of it to help pull the reader in and could be outrageous and it worked. But, then, some of the grimmer Batman series would not have allowed any comedy as it would bring the reader out of the story as it was too unexpected.
  • I often pick my favorite actor (from real or animated) for voices, such as the Joker always is Mark Hamill, Batman is Will Arnett, Superman is Christopher Reeves (I know, I am old), etc.

I just love the story line as an opener, no real introduction, just here we are in the middle of the crisis and…go. I agree that Jonn is the breakout from the group and is getting explored more in these issues, which is cool. He has often been an overlooked character in the universe (I hate having to remind my daughters who he is when we are discussing DC characters).

One of the interesting story choices is the juxtaposition between Lex’s actions and the guiding idea of truth and justice/goodness. I think this will be interesting to see as the story goes forward, how Snyder handles it. All I know is, I thought Jimenez has his job cut out for him, but he has blown me away with the way he brings the story to life and has made it so much more!

6 Likes

Hi @Grimmbrother - Welcome to the community! Thanks so much for joining in this discussion with us. I often hear my favorite actor for the voices as well. (You’re not old, I think many of us have these same favorites and I refuse to be old so neither are you! lol)

I’m excited to continue with this series and hope you are too, look forward to getting more of your thoughts and opinions moving forward!

3 Likes

I actually liked Flash’s impression the best . I still hear the original 7 actors from Bruce Timm’s Justice League doing the voices – (even though that’s Wally not Barry).

Or you could easily substitute Nathan Fillion for all of them …including Wonder Woman

5 Likes

Years ago, I guess I was first exposed to the Martian Manhunter in the 1960s(?), the Martian Manhunter was often a second story in Detective Comics with The Batman’s lead story. He was a frequent second story in those comics at that time.

6 Likes

Definitely could hear Nathan Fillion doing all of them, another would be Marc Thompson. Would actually love to hear him read the voices.

And yes, Flash did do the best Batman. Thank goodness for him during certain moments to keep things light when it gets so dark.

4 Likes

The Flash does everything best! :crazy_face:

3 Likes

It’s funny that you mentioned that. I’ve collected the Death of a Prince event and have now just got around to reading it. I reached Adventure Comics #449 today where he’s the backstory, written by none other than Denny O’Neil. There sure are a lot of Martian Manhunter gems out there.

3 Likes

Hey, spotted a fellow Star Wars audiobook listener here!

3 Likes

I was honestly not expecting much from this read. I find the more focused, single character stories to be far more compelling than the team books. However, I was pleasantly surprised! This arc is very introspective and reaches toward the idea of asking what it is that truly drives us and if our baser instincts are what we really are or the fuel to feed our better angels. Plus, as a primarily GL fan, I hadn’t heard of the UltraViolet Corps before, so bonus!

7 Likes

You know, Ava Duverney is writing/directing The New Gods, and Ava did have Oprah play a character in her last big movie, A Wrinkle in Time… :thinking:

Seriously though, why would it work like that? Never liked that. I think that idea only really worked in The New Frontier.

Killer Croc and being horribly mutated by super-science or magic, name a more iconic duo.

That was definitely a hilarious moment. :rofl:

I guess in his mind, once he became a JL member he realized after a while that he had to up his game if he was going to be effective.

Now I wanna hear this. :rofl:

That was created for this story.

I do agree about the introspective nature of the series – I do like how it has these big, bold and over the top superhero action motifs, but still finds ways to explore more human questions about what it truly means to try to exact justice.

4 Likes

This is making me want to read all the associated comics to this story arc. Does anyone have a list?

4 Likes

Also, subtle thing I noticed but thought was super clever, the symbol J’onn uses looks like the hall of justice when the one Luthor has looks like the Legion of Doom Headquarters. At first I thought they were identical symbols but just realized they are different in the reread.

7 Likes

If anyone does, it’s our resident DC guru @HubCityQuestion. Can you help us? :smiley:

5 Likes

That’s super cool, I never noticed that! The symbol J’onn uses is smoother and more square where Luthor’s one is sharper and more triangular. Good catch!

4 Likes