DC Book Club Vol. I - JUSTICE LEAGUE: THE TOTALITY (2018)

Welcome to the Community, @25trichardson1.17788! Those are all good questions. A big question I had was “Where else has Batman planted bombs?” :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

so were asuming Bats has bombs all across the solar system?

5 Likes

so the toality is a comet that could travel across time and space. inside it holds the secrets to the multiverse. Legion of Doom wanted it so they could rule all reality. I question i got is why were there white Martians in LoD HQ?

5 Likes

I felt that this was a hard group of comics to get into. If you are coming in cold, you are going to be lost. I have some knowledge of things, but what is the Source Wall. Who is the Batman Who Laughs. Are there more colors of Lanterns? I want to enjoy it, but I find myself getting pulled out of the story trying to figure out what exactly is going on. I am enjoying it to a point, but as a jumping on point (It is a #1 after all), it is a bit tough to get in to.

12 Likes

Welcome to DC Universe Infinite @scott.walton1.10217 & @25trichardson1.17788! :grinning:

7 Likes

Those are great points Scott. Knowing what has happened since these were published makes it kind of cool to go back and see the big picture, but I remember being perplexed at just seemingly random things that happened in this group of books. If you don’t know, you may not get it. Loving the Jim Cheung art, though!

5 Likes

Welcome to the community! I agree with you my friend. Thankfully, I’ve been around long enough, that I kinda get some of it, even though I haven’t read most of the books that lead into this. I was a bit confused too. Years ago, DC did a little story called Crisis on Infinite Earths, because their continuity had been become so untenable. And it seemed like both Marvel and DC tried then, to keep in mind the old comic industry adage, that every comic is someones first.

So, there were more standalone stories, or if they did continue, they’d only be 2 parters. They’d even try to give you recaps at the beginnings of books, which they sometimes still do, but it feels like over time, neither company really cares if someone is picking up an issue one unawares. Why make it a first issue if I have to read 15 to catch up? It’s kind of annoying, though I have enjoyed this run so far.

8 Likes

I’ll be honest, I am having trouble keeping track of the interplay. I dont remember some of these from before this comic series and it is hard to see why some are necessary to the plan. I like the UV spectrum as a concept. I still cant get behind the Still Force. Seems a little farfetched. Other than slowing people/things, I dont get the power it has. It is worth it though to see GG running around with the baby!

I think I did a pretty good job…but I did not see Ch’p. Every team up is better with Ch’p.

It did feel a little darker. The one thing that stood out that I had trouble with (skipping why Joker didnt use the chainsaw on Hawkgirl…there was no reason for him to wait other than to advance the story) was how Black Manta and Cheetah allowed WW and Aquaman to fight it out. I know they were looking for something, but I always thought that Black Manta wanted to kill Aquaman himself. He wouldnt risk losing the shot to do it himself.

While not the question, I found it a little difficult to connect some of the philosophies to the villains as they did. This is a slightly modified collection of Legion of Doom characters from as far back as Challenge of the Superfriends. It felt like some of these philosophies were attached to the characters in order to find a home for them, and not so much how they act…in my limited experience with the characters

6 Likes

I will probably always be a Marvel guy, but there is something about DC that always brings me back. Crisis is one of my all time favorite reads. I usually try to read it once a year. I am sure that things will clear up. It would be kind of nice, can’t believe I am typing this, to do a New 52 type of thing. Here is what you need to know (Issue #0 - oversized of course) and here is issue number one…and go!!! I will continue on with this, but it is nice to know that I am not the only one with these thoughts. Cheers!!

7 Likes

The Jim Cheung artwork is off the hook!!!

3 Likes

I agree, and I have read quite a bit. I know the lantern colors pretty well, but UV was not in my memory (I highly recommend the Blackest Night series !!)

I am currently reading the Dark Nights Metal series. That has left me so confused that I dont know if it is helping with this story line. I am reading those Metal books in suggested order, but I am waiting for more to be released on DC Universe Infinite (JL 53 just came out today !!!). I remember Turtle but dont have a memory of the super powerful Still Force. I need to do some research

4 Likes

Batman on the moon (I hope pictures are allowed…I have seen others posting pictures)

12 Likes

Hey, everyone. It’s me again! So to answer the third question, I think having a different writer and artist impacted my reading by adjusting the tone a bit. Instead of maintaining a relative happiness, Tynion, by writing about the Leagion, creates a much darker and sinister feel. Mahnke’s art also adds to this by showcasing expressions of crazed joy and wild anger, with also an increase in shadowing, further enhancing this sinister feel the reader has. With this, the tone of course complemented the experience. Lastly, with the first question, I know the source wall is at the edge of the universe, the totality is the power coming from the wall, Umbrax is the head of this new Lantern spectrum, the Keep of Mars is an all-seeing eye in this event, these forces and spectrums broke from the source wall, and turtle is a result of one of them. Whew. I think I got that right! Well, guys this was fun, can’t wait to post again!

7 Likes

Pictures not only allowed, but welcomed! :smile:

5 Likes

Maybe that would be something nice for the DC Infinite app. You want to read an event, here is the order and the comics involved. I know there are things out there you can find for reading lists, but this would be a nice addition…cough…cough

6 Likes

I agree 100%. I am always happy when the “read the next book in the series” pops up, but it is not consistent. I wind up going to the graphic novels and looking how they order the books or lists online from other sources, writing/typing them down, and then searching for them in the app. I would love it if it was all right there from the source to say here is the order of the books !!

2 Likes

If you asked me right now what all of these things were I could give you a two word explanation of them. But within the story they just makes sense where they are. I know what they are when I read a story that involves them, but outside of that, I do get a little confused. :laughing:

I liked it! Its nice to get a quick change of pace every once in a while. I like Snyder and Tynion’s writing so it doesn’t really bother me at all. It’s cool to have different writer/artist from the villains’ point of view.

Without getting to deep and philosophical… sometimes? I have days where I completely agree with this. And other days where I believe it is the furthest thing from the truth.

Quick question: I turned notifications off for this thread but they keep getting turned back on and I log in to a hundred notifications about replies in this thread… Anyone else having the same problem?

4 Likes

Before reading this, I strongly suggest Justice League: No Justice that we are reading in the #justice-league-book-club. That 4 issue miniseries kind of picks where Metal left off, which I didn’t read, but it also serves as the introduction for Justice League (2018), Justice League Odessey, and Justice League Dark (2018). If I didn’t read that I would have been crazy confused, not saying I wasn’t confused at points of this because I definitely was.

4 Likes

Maybe you would have to go to settings and not just changing them at the bottom of the screen?

3 Likes

It happens to me to. Maybe something to do with the club?:thinking:

2 Likes