DC Black Label

Just finished Batman : White Knight and all i can say is wow. This story blew me away. Been a while since Batman was mentally pushed to the brink. Any recommendations of what Black Label story i should read next?

3 Likes

Harleen. Lemire’s Question. Stop after that. There isn’t really anything else worth your time.

2 Likes

I enjoyed “Superman: Year One”. Apparently, I was the only one, as I remember seeing negative reviews for it at the time of its release, and the above comment implies that it’s not worth reading. But I liked it. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

It was one of my least favorite Superman stories ever written. Nothing about Clark’s characterization rang true, and while, yes, sometimes shaking up an established character in an Elseworlds story can work, the new version of him just felt hollow and emotionless. Maybe I’m bringing too much baggage to it; Superman is my favorite fictional character. Period. But everything about the book just felt like Frank taking a right turn where he should have gone left. I will say, the John Romita Jr. art almost makes the book worth checking out, but given everything else wrong with it, it’s better off ignored.

2 Likes

@wilkinswontkins I loved the art for Superman Year One. Romita Jr drawing anything is a quick way to open up my wallet, bit especially when it’s my favorite character. The story was better than I expected from a Frank Miller Superman story, (he could easily do worse…I’m looking at you All Star Batman…), but still not great.

I haven’t read any other Black Label books yet, so I can’t recommend anything. I love the concept though, and hope they continue doing them.

1 Like

Thanks everyone for responding. Appreciate the feedback. I too hope this continues, the elseworld tales are always fun and i like seeing the new iterations people have come up with.

Well, he did move from girl to girl way to fast. But other than that it was pretty good.

2 Likes

I also enjoyed Superman: Year One. Much more than I thought I would.

It’s also the only Black Label title I’ve been interested in (I don’t count Batman: White Knight, as that was retroactively added to Black Label upon its initial trade release), therefore it’s the only one I’m recommending.

2 Likes

Mister Miracle is considered Black Label now, and that’s AMAZING, but (much like White Knight) wasn’t originally released under the label. There’s also Batman: Last Knight on Earth which… I mean, I like it, but it works best if you’ve read all of Scott Snyder’s Batman and Metal and his Justice League… but Joker is a head in a cage on Batman’s hip, so it might be worth it.

1 Like

Mister miracle was amazing! I loved it. I want to check out Last Knight on Earth. I will keep in mind the Snyder information! Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

White Knight didn’t exactly rock my world (the ending was kind of a cop out, aspects of the story went off far too cleanly to be believable) but it was an entertaining page turner. Honestly I don’t understand why this one is Black Label at all, Legends of the Dark Knight had more disturbing material in its first year.

EDIT: With that said, with like almost half the Black Label titles being about the Joker and Harley Quinn and having a distaste for graphic violence and gore I’m probably not gonna be a big fan.

4 Likes

I’ve really enjoyed a lot of the black label stuff. Harleen as my l mentioned above was very, very good. I do think Basket Full of Heads is a great read as well as Plunge. Joker: Killer Smile was intense. The Last God is a little dense reading, but I’ve liked what I have read. Technically, all the sandman comics are black label now. I like the new Constantine and most of the New Dreaming and House of Magic stuff. Lucifer is wild!

2 Likes

Forgot that all the Hill House stuff is Black Label… Dollhouse Family and Plunge are excellent. Basketful of Heads is a weird Jaws riff that’s kind of fun, but it’s not my favorite.

2 Likes

Batman: Damned is pretty great. It’s art is beautiful and story is pretty luring. Probably one of my favorite on the black label for now well… Next to Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo Joker.

2 Likes

I do hope that black label steps outside of the Joker and Harley a little more. Wouldn’t mind some New Gods stuff. Maybe a Suicide Squad story. There are some good opportunities.

2 Likes

I don’t know how fatigue hasn’t set in with them yet. They’re waaaay overexposed and have been for a while now. But then I know some people just want Batman vs Joker all the time, and apparently you can’t have a Joker story without including Harley anymore.

1 Like

All of the Hill House imprints are Black Label:
Basketful of Heads
Dollhouse Family
The Low, Low Woods
Daphne Byrne
Plunge

They are all great reads and a nice break from capes and tights.

1 Like