Dark Knight Returns - Single Player Board Game

I saw this Kickstarter online and figured I’d make a thread for it, just in case fellow fans would be interested:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cze/the-dark-knight-returns-the-game/description

So what do you guys make of this? Personally, I’m genuinely curious about the concept and how much they’ll be pulling from the original comic. I’ve never really been one for tabletop games, but I’m tempted to give this a shot.

6 Likes

3 Likes

Seems to be deck building kinda legacy game (that you can reset bc you use a dry erase marker vs stickers).

I would only back the KS if you want to paint the minis, otherwise just wait for the retail version you’ll be able to get at ~$40. I’m sure those D4 with batwings cost a pretty penny, which is just nerd points bc they just a coin flip. The retail will be a regular D6 with 3 hits & 3 miss sides.

3 Likes

Just thought I’d share a few updates if people were interested:

The KS is fully funded, and now it also includes a 1v1 mode where a second person can play as the villains/bosses for each book.

There’s also a whole bunch of KS exclusive bonuses that are getting unlocked, like extra cards for the game and new minifigures.

I know this thread is coming off more like a sales pitch, but I wanna make it clear that I’m not affiliated with the makers of this game. I’m just really excited about it!

2 Likes

Alright, you had me at solo board game. While I love playing games, this is not something my wife and kids would probably be into, so the solo option has me intrigued. I just pulled the trigger on the deluxe edition.

3 Likes

I can imagine. I’ve got a brother who’s more into strategy games, so the 1v1 option is great for us. Still, I would definitely want to play through all four books by myself at first just to understand the game mechanics.

3 Likes

Looks cool, but have no one to really play those kind of things with.

2 Likes

It has single player option.

2 Likes

The single player aspect is puzzling to me? So this is like solitaire? What’s the fun of playing a game by yourself? Though I do think it looks cool, and I like the figures and slipcase.

2 Likes

Not a Jenga fan?

2 Likes

I’ve only played that with others. I never thought about it as a single player game, but makes sense.

1 Like

It is 1-infinite players. I play it by myself all the time by trying to get to 40 blocks tall (never came close).

3 Likes

Yeah if you go read about the game, the creators really wanted this to be a single player/ solitaire-style game so that it is more faithful to the source material. Ultimately, Robin and the other Bat-allies don’t do too much in TDKR, so to have a second player play as Robin and idly sit there while the first player is doing most of the heavy-lifting in the campaign wouldn’t be fun.

In a way, I prefer to look at this game as a low-tech version of the Arkham games as opposed to a proper board game which involves anywhere between 2 and 6 players.

4 Likes

The KS campaign is almost over. Plenty of extras got unlocked for the game, so if anyone’s still on the fence about backing the project, now would be the time to make up your mind.

Hopefully when the game gets released, I would really like to hear how people are liking it. This thread would be a good place to share game strategies, or post pics of painted minis!

1 Like

Sadly, I have no nerd friends close to play it with me. My wife and kids would probably just laugh, so this is perfect for me :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And as a side note, I now have to wait until December to get it. Can’t wait for this one and glad I found the kickstarter when I did. In any case look for a review when it comes out.

2 Likes

During lockdown I got into solo roleplaying games, so I’m really interested in playing this. It looks like now that the KS has ended you can still preorder it, I just need to decide if it’s worth playing the extra money for the deluxe version.

1 Like

My copy of this game arrived in the mail yesterday. I got the deluxe version, and it’s a massive box. I actually had to rearrange my board game shelves just to make room for it! I haven’t opened it up yet but I’m looking forward to playing it.

3 Likes

Gonna paint the minis?

1 Like

I also got mine in yesterday and had to make room on my shelf :rofl:

Honestly seeing all the pieces out in front of me has got me really excited to play the game! Only thing is that seeing the minis in person has made me reluctant to paint them. They look so nice already that I’d hate to ruin them with my lousy painting skills :sweat_smile: