Danny DeVitos Penguin

I cannot think of a better casted villain in any superhero movie from any company than Danny DeVitos interpretation of the Penguin. Can any of you? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I remember when I first heard it, I was like ok that’s spot on. I feel like Jack Nicholson, Michelle Pfeiffer, and Danny Devitos casting are equal in terms of comic accuracy and interpretation.

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, @Redd_X! Only problem I ever had with any of them was the fact that we knew Nicholsons Jokers real name.

3 Likes

@Harleys Puddin, you know funny thing is, I didn’t think anything of that, and then learned thru comics that The Joker really has no origin and then it became everyone’s head canon that Jack Napier was the one who killed Bruce’s parents, and not Joe Chill. Burton definitely took some liberties, but man, those 3 casting were so accurate.

2 Likes

Danny Devito was amazing as the penguin! I’d love to see Josh Gad play the role too.

3 Likes

I could see Josh Gad in that roll, but I am not sure if he is serious enough to play the part, @JLWWSM!

4 Likes

@HarleysPuddin I’m not sure if Josh Gad would be better than Danny Devito, but I’d love to see his version of it.

2 Likes

I’m more of a Burgess Meredith fan myself.

2 Likes

DeVito’s Penguin is neato and was an unexpected casting choice. As for casting, I think Michael Shannon was a perfect choice for Zod.

4 Likes

I would still say Jack Nicholson as the Joker is still the most spot on villain casting because outside of his height it was like his Clown Prince stepped out a comic drawn by Jim Aparo.

Honorable mentions would also be Shannon’s Zod, Leto’s Joker, Cilian Murphy’s Scarecrow, Mark Strong’s Sinestro, and Cory Gardner Smith’s Riddler on GOTHAM.

4 Likes

@Jason Mark Strong’s Sinestro was the only reason I was sad there would be no Green Lantern sequel. He and the end credits scene were the best parts of that movie hands down.

4 Likes

I agree. Strong is Sinestro.

4 Likes

I still think Jack Nicholson’s Joker was better than Devitos Penguin.

I had an idea for an Always Sunny episode. It’s a Halloween Costume contest & I’d have Danny Devito dress as the Penguin. I’d try to get Michael Keaton to guest star & have him win as Batman!

Dennis, Mac & Charlie all dress as different versions of the Joker. It would be so epic.

And of course, while competing in the costume contest, Devito tells all the other guys

“You don’t think you’re really going to win, do you?”

A nice reference to Batman Returns, lol.

3 Likes

That is a schway idea! Good thinking.
I also agree Joker is the best villain from the Burton films with Catwoman a close second.

3 Likes

DeVitos Penguin is undeniably perfect. Not better, but I don’t see anybody out Wonder Womer’ing Gal Gadot she might be WW. Uma Thurman was a nice selection for Ivy also.

1 Like

Oops disregard the gadot keep the Uma/Ivy didn’t see it had to be a villain

1 Like

Also, Joe Manganiello looked pretty spot on as Deathstroke/ Slade Wilson in the sample size portion viewing we saw of him in JL.

1 Like

Some great suggestions, guys! Keep 'em coming. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Harleys Puddin - Yes. DD was the absolute most perfect Penguin and villain of all time.
Burton’s Joker is a very close second!

2 Likes

Margot Robbbie as Harley Quinn. Ledger as Joker.

1 Like