CW's Kate Kane Is Back... Sort Of!

If it didn’t flop, why is Kate coming back?

2 Likes

Based on what the producers have said so far, it seems like bringing back a recast Kate was always the plan (at least since shortly after Ruby left), it’s just that they changed it to have her return midseason instead of right at the beginning. Wallis will help wrap up Kate’s story properly, which is very much needed, and maybe she could still be in play beyond this season, but they’ve made it clear that Ryan will still be Batwoman going forward

4 Likes

Then I think the series lost me unless kate comes back

1 Like

Permanently or just in general? Because I’m pretty sure she’ll never be a permanent character on the show again, but it won’t be long at all before Wallis makes her debut

2 Likes

Permanently as Batwoman

2 Likes

Well I guess the show’s probably lost you, then. Plans can obviously change, but I really figure we’ll be lucky to get just 1 episode of Kate back in the/a Batsuit, though I’m not holding my breath on that

3 Likes

My belief based on what has been said by Caroline Dries is that while Kate will never again assume the mantle of Batwoman, there is still a story to tell with her that will dovetail with and support Ryan’s ongoing journey to cement herself as Gotham’s new defender while also explaining what happened to her in the aftermath of the plane crash that opened Season 2 and led to Ryan finding the Batsuit in the first place.

I also think Wallis has joined the show as a Series Regular, but we won’t know that for sure until we see how and where she is credited onscreen.

4 Likes

I’m expecting good things from this (Wallis Day). @arkhamassassin I am holding my breath, actually. Going from one DC series to another is refreshing. Having Wallis on the show will always remind me of Krypton, but will also remind me of “Kate Kane”. Her figure is consistent with Ruby Rose. She should stay on as Batwoman.

3 Likes

There’s definitely a case to be made that this should’ve been the move from the beginning, especially seeing as how Black Lightning was able to explain Jennifer’s new appearance in just 1 episode instead of having to sideline her for several. But given the current circumstances, I really think it’d be the wrong move to have Kate take over as the lead again. Not only would another change in the show’s lead be too jarring for a lot of viewers, but replacing your Black lead w/ a white one, even though the character held the position before, is just a bad move in general. Plus I’ve gotten plenty invested in Ryan’s story and don’t wanna see her leave so quickly. I think given the circumstances, this is the right move

4 Likes

You are right of course. I just wish that a decision to re-cast or not re-cast would’ve been made at the beginning of the season. The most that can be done now is guest star appearance. :sunglasses:

1 Like

I think a lot will depend on if they know if they are getting a 4th season before they start season 3. If no season 4 don’t put Kate back in the suit, if yes on season 4 make the switch early in season 3 and move on with the classical Kate as Batwoman.

2 Likes

Kate is not getting the mantle of Batwoman back… ever.

If Wallis is a Series Regular going forward, Kate’s role will most likely be something akin to that of Barbara Gordon as Oracle.

1 Like

When the news first broke that Ruby Rose was leaving the show, they said they wouldn’t replace Kate…ever.

2 Likes

I don’t know where this idea came from, but it’s just flat-out wrong.

The only things Caroline said re: Ruby’s departure in the lead-up to Season 2 are that Greg Berlanti convinced her to forego the “soap opera route” of simply recasting the role of Kate and continuing on uninterrupted, narratively, and instead introduce a new character - Ryan - to take up the Batwoman mantle,and that she and the writers were not killing off the character of Kate.

You seem to have hate for Kate

1 Like

They could make both active

1 Like

Yeah, no.

I’m just past condemning the producers for a creative decision that has comic-book precedent and is conceptually sound despite having issues with the execution thereof.

Thoughts on making both active Batwomen?

1 Like

Having multiple characters share a superhero moniker simultaneously isn’t practical in a visual medium like television.

Even if it were practical, though, we know that that’s not the direction the show is going in.

If she sticks around beyond this season, Kate is going to be the “Oracle” of Team Batwoman while Ryan continues on as the “Scarlet Knight”.

Ever is a long time. Who really knows if Kate will put on the Batsuit again. No way to really know. Best to enjoy the journey and see where the show takes us.

3 Likes