Crazy Cool Comic Ads

Was that the movie where the guy was holding the girl underwater in a hot tub and Damon wayans hit him in the nose with a football :football:?

1 Like

Rip Chris Farley the great

2 Likes

Two things…count Dante looks more like he’s about to tickle you to death than whip that a$$…and is that an add for 1 mil in Counterfeit exact replica bills? Crazy.

4 Likes

Actually I can say a lot about the ads on those pages. I don’t know where to start. The sea monkeys are butt naked. Get 2-6” taller…is that vertical or…? Crazy. Was that evil knievel ad from a DC comic? :grin:

3 Likes

Watched Tommy Boy a few days ago, dude! :pensive: :heart:

4 Likes

I forgot about this cover. It’s a cool one!

4 Likes

did you eat a lot of paint chips as a kid? :joy:

3 Likes

@c-m-woodworks.91222 Ha, ha, ha. Why?

3 Likes

Which cover?

2 Likes

Ok the detective Comics cover. Jim Fern I think?

3 Likes

Yup

3 Likes

Ok I thought this was cool. So when dragon quest first released games in the US they had to use the name “Dragon Warrior” because TSR owned the rights to that name. This is what that was all about apparently…

5 Likes

@c-m-woodworks.91222 All the ads came from a facsimile Marvel comic, but I think they all appeared in both Marvel and DC. Evel was the sh*t back then so that ad was on the back of tons of comics.

4 Likes

Yeah I’ve seen it a lot in Bronze Age marvel. That was why I brought it up. It’s kind of hard to forget. Big full page covers.

2 Likes

This is one of my favorite ads.

I saw it in this comic and was wondering what palisades amusement park was. So I googled it and found it was a huge attraction on the jersey side of the Hudson River. It started as a trolley park in the late 1800s still not exactly sure what that is) and eventually became an amusement park. They advertised in comic books in the 50s and 60s. There’s a great article on Wikipedia I’ll send the link.

It looks like the last day it was open was September 11, 1971. And you could see New York across the river from there. Anyone superstitious? It’s luxury high rise housing now. The history is all there on Wikipedia if you’re interested. This ad is a little piece of history frozen in time in the pages of a 12 cent comic.

4 Likes

cool! ( awesome comic by the way, that would be awesome for a collection!)

2 Likes

Since it clearly says “order must be received by December 31st, 1984”, I’m thinking probably not. Now if you had a time machine…

4 Likes

It’s part of a pretty cool run I’ve been working on for a while

3 Likes

awesome! I really want 105 from that series ( it’s the issue where Elongated man joins)! I am a big Elongated man fan, And it would be good for my Ralph Dibny collection (though right now you can’t really call it a collection, I only have one issue for it, and that is the first issue of Justice league of Europe!). I was planning on searching my local comic stores, but then our current situation happened!

4 Likes

eBay is a great option now. I don’t think you’ll spend a lot on that issue. But I’m keeping my eye on auctions now more than ever. I’m waiting to see if stuff starts selling really low. I don’t think it’s quite happened yet though.

3 Likes