Congratulations Joaquin Phoenix! 🏆

I was so happy he won. He deserved it.

1 Like

For anyone who saw Joker and liked it, it stands (proudly) in the shoulders of two Scorsese movies that you’d probably love too. They’re called Taxi Driver and King of Comedy, and you can find them both online. Definitely both worth a watch. Phoenix did an amazing job pulling from those films in his performances and as a fan it was a lot of fun to watch.

2 Likes

I for one knew Joaquin Phoenix can win best actor. Not only he made bob kane and Jerry Robinson and bill finger proud, he made heath ledger proud of playing the joker.

2 Likes

It’s interesting seeing the varied reactions to the speech. Some people think it’s amazing, and I’ve seen others call it rambling nonsense. Such is life!

3 Likes

Can’t it be both? :joker_hv_1:

2 Likes
1 Like

Just saying that his competition for Best Actor was lousy so of course he won. “Once Upon a Time in Hollywood” did not feature DiCapprio at his best and the same thing can be said for Adam Driver and Jonathan Pryce in their respective movies. They even threw in Antonio Banderas for his role in a foreign film that wasn’t even up for Best Picture.
Heath Ledger had better competition and he still won the award by a landslide!

I thought Leo was excellent in Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. Truly great, but he always is.

I haven’t seen the others but there certainly isn’t any unspoken rules regarding best acting awards having to be related to best picture ones, so not sure what your point is regarding Antonio.

My opinion is that Phoenix deserved the award on his own merits, not because of who he was up against.