Community Office Hours--Ask Jitsu Your Questions Every Tuesday Night!

Think he might have met President Jimmy Carter as well when Marvel characters were at the White House, then again I could be wrong on that. There was a funny story when Green Goblin scare the President’s daughter and the Secret Service almost tackle him. It was mention in his comic book story life. :laughing:
I’ll bet it was a same event that Jonathan Frakes dress as Captain America, years before playing Commander Riker on Star Trek: The Next Generation.
My favorite Stan Lee cameo is from Spider-man 3, I think he said it best saying, “You know, I guess one person can really make a difference, nuff said.” :slightly_smiling_face:
Happy 100 Birthday Stan Lee.

6 Likes

Good catch, I missed that one. You’re right about Carter (making him #4) and the incident with young Amy and the Goblin, did indeed happen. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

He also made a guest appearance in Teen Titans Go to the Movies in which he spoofed the idea of Stan Lee cameos.

6 Likes

Yeah, like I said, the man reeeealy got around. I think his biggest contribution to the DCU was his “Just Imagine” universe. Still around today, somewhere out there in the Multiverse! Leave it to Stan to have left a lasting mark with his always Distinguished Competition!. :grinning:

6 Likes

@wrightline1.42741, No matter what people now think of Bob Kane, I do like the story that he was a good friend with Stan Lee, after Batman came to the big screen a few times, Kane would tease Stan Lee and ask him where Spider-Man?
Stan Lee wish that Kane got to live to see Spider-Man on the big screen, I am forever thankful that Stan Lee made these movie cameos, now I’m mad that Bob Kane never got to make any cameo in a Batman film!
It’s a shame he never got to see The Dark Knight Trilogy.
Hey @Jitsu, hope you have a Happy New Year! :grinning:
If it hasn’t been ask yet, if it has, I apologize to anybody that already ask, what’s your favorite Stan Lee movie cameos?

5 Likes

Actually, Bob Kane may have beat Stan to the Big screen by almost 50 years. In the first BATMAN serial, back in 1943, a young man hawking newspapers is said to have been played by Kane who was on set, during the filming. Rumor or fact, you decide.

He was also supposed to have a cameo in the first Keaton film, but became ill, for a time, and missed out. The signed sketch of what the mysterious “Bat-man” might look like, that appears with Knox in the Gotham Globe newsroom, is as close as he ever got.

His wife Elizabeth, fared much better. Appearing in 3 later movies. A brief cameo and one liner in Batman Returns, is followed up as showbiz correspondent Gossip Gerty in Batman Forever and Batman & Robin. In one way or another Bob Kane’s connection was acknowledged. Even if it took much longer for Bill Finger to get his long overdue, and well deserved recognition!

5 Likes

What do you think of the idea of a convention dedicated specifically to the Doom Patrol like the Star Wars and Star Trek conventions?

7 Likes

If you’re referring to film adaptations, there are just so many I could choose! For the sake of keeping it somewhat brief, I’ll pick two:

Dark Knights of Steel

This series is so enjoyable for some many reasons. The setting, a vast and varying landscape inspired by medieval media, has already been done a thousand times in moves and TV—so I think there’s little risk to using something similar on screen. The key difference (IMO) would be the iconic cast that inhabits that setting. We’ve never seen characters like Batman and Superman together in this kind of setting, so I think it would be really unique to see how DKoS would adapt to the screen.

Trial of the Amazons

I personally think we need more film/TV adaptations of Wonder Woman as the champion of Earth. Supes tends to get that treatment a bit more than Diana, so I think it would be really fun to see her shine as the representative of our planet. The story is so deep and impactful, I can totally see it adapting very well to the screen.

7 Likes

Hey hey! Apologies for the delayed response here—we’re just getting back from our holiday break!

Yes absolutely! Hopefully some of the ones you searched for were added in the last 2 weeks, but if not—shoot me a DM with the titles you searched for, and I’ll shoot a message to the content team.

I don’t know off the top of my head—but I’ve just sent a message to my team to see if we can dig up the answer for ya!

Oooh good question…I’m definitely looking forward to Superboy: The Man of Tomorrow (last year’s Round Robin winner!), but I think my top pick would be the revival of Batman: The Brave and the Bold—so much to look forward to!

I hope you had a wonderful holiday season–and get excited for a fun 2023! :smiley:

7 Likes

I gotta say, the one we read for December’s DC Book Club has become a definite favorite of mine. The stories are charming, impactful, and nice n’ short! Loved it.

What about you?

7 Likes

That could be cool! I think it would have to be “worth it” for WBD/DC to really pursue it…conventions are a massive investment of time, money, staffing, and other resources–so it would have to make sense for us to put that together. But I think it’s a pretty neat idea!

8 Likes

Loved reading this! Thank you for sharing. Excelsior, indeed!!

8 Likes

blows a party favor upon entry of The Office of Justice

Hello and Happy New Year, everyone!!

In the spirit of the New Year, how about some resolutions? But mixed with the spirit of DCUI.

Anything you might have started, for whatever reason fell off of, and now want to get around to finishing?
Anything you want to tackle for the first time?
Anything you want to re-read?
Any characters you resolve to read more of?
Any writers, artists, inkers, colorists, or letterers (editors, too, I guess) you want to explore more of?

(I am here for everyone’s resolutions! If you read this, reply with your’s too!)

Answer as few or as many as you want. I’m just happy you survived your first holiday season in the harsh environs of SoCal. Welcome back and have just the best dang year!!

7 Likes

Ayy welcome back and happy New Year!

Love this idea! Let’s get into it…

Oh man…yes, absolutely haha. I still need to catch up on the last 2 issues of Dark Knights of Steel–which is my main priority for books in January. Outside of that, I’ve deffffinitely have some catching up to do on some Spawn books…but other than that, I think I’ve completed. or caught up on my 2022 reads!

I’d really like to start reading Shazaam books. I’ve read some Black Adam books, which have been super fun, but I’ve yet to really get into the Shazaamily too much, so that’s on my list for this year.

Oooh…I’ll probably re-read Batman/Spawn #1 a few more times hah. There’s so much to pick up on and so many amazing details, I just really enjoyed that first book. I also re-read a handful of books that are seasonal or holiday-based (The Long Halloween, for example), so it’s nice to have a few already locked in for various parts of the year!

I think my top pick for this one would be Sandman. I’ve read a lot of Morpheus’ journeys, but there’s still so much more!

I want to read everything that Lee Bermejo has ever done–his art is just so dang incredible. I really want to read more of Mike Hawthorne’s work, another one of my favorite artists…oh, and of course, Todd McFarlane :wink:

What about you?

7 Likes

I have gotten about a quarter the way through Tom King’s run on Batman twice now. I need to finish that run.

Jeff Lemire’s Sweet Tooth and I want to explore the Justice Society of America.

Just like you, I have set annual re-reads. My major one is all of Grant Morrison’s Batman. But my true goal this year is to re-read the Snyder/Capullo New 52 Batman (until the end of “Endgame,” before Batbunny… the real ones will know…)

Cassandra Cain and Swamp Thing

Speaking of Batman/Spawn, I love Greg Capullo’s work on anything. I want to read more of Cliff Chiang’s work. And that JSA exploration is going to start with Geoff Johns.

Speaking of…

The New 52 Shazaam by Geoff Johns really felt like a love letter to Billy Batson. Definitely put that in your Shazaamily Readings!

5 Likes

Is there a reason you spelled Shazam with three "a"s? Just wondering if they added an attribute. If you want Shazam books, I recommend some of the early stuff. You can find public domain comic websites online (make sure they are legal) and find some stuff there. Some of the issues wont be there for copyright reasons, but there is still a good selection.

7 Likes

Here’s a question for the future: Fee fi fo fame, what’s my middle name?

7 Likes

fum

6 Likes

Close enough!

6 Likes

" They’re creepy and they’re kooky. Mysterious and spooky. They’re all together ooky, the Addams Family." Memorable lyrics from a very memorable show that I loved. The Munsters and Addams Family premiered about a week apart back in the min 60s. But it’s the latter that won me over. And so, with all the attention being garnered by Tim Burton’s new series, " Wednesday " on Netflix, I figured I’d turn Trivia Corner over to the original series that spawned this wonderful vehicle for Jenna Ortega, who has come to own that role, for a new generation of fans.

Surprisingly, Burton passed on two earlier chances years ago, to helm new Addams Family material. But as with the Keaton/Batman film series he began back in '89, he has once again struck gold. Much to the delight of viewers. Many fans of the movies only knew Wednesday through Christina Ricci’s knockout portrayal of the character. With little or no prior knowledge of theTV series. Fortunately, she helped popularize the characters again, and that spawned several more spinoffs (both live action and animated) on the small screen. But few remember a “lost gem” from the original series. A made for TV, movie titled Halloween with the Addams Family. It aired in 1977, 10 years after the series cancellation. Bringing back almost everyone, including a now late teened Lisa Loring who returned as Wednesday. For those who loved the series, the movie (video taped and shot in color) was simply more of the same (minus the blk/wht atmospherics), just a little longer. :grinning:

And finally, to bring everything back around to the DCU, three stars of the series would all go on to make appearances on the Adam West, Batman TV series. Ted Cassidy (in character) as Lurch, appeared in one of the famous “window cameos.” John Astin would take a shot at playing the Riddler. An Carolyn Jones would appear as Marsha, Queen of Diamonds, in multiple episodes.

Well, that’s a wrap boys 'n girls. As we close out our TC opener for 2023. So, 'til Gossamer meets Cousin “IT”…

Stay safe, be well.

7 Likes