Comic Book Collections

It’s pathetic how much the things are sometimes. It’s just a safety precaution really. I have to do the majority of my collecting online though. I’ve rolled the dice on raw copies and been burned too many times. It’s the only reason I buy graded issues.

I’m an archive collector myself, so it doesn’t bother me having a comic I can’t flip through. For instance, my raw copy of San Diego Comic-con Comics #2 is something I’ve only handled once and that was when I graded it myself to buy it (15 years ago). I’ve taken a bit of heat from people here, but that’s how I always collected. Read and sleeve. I rarely revisit comics, and if I do I’ve bought reprints in trade form to keep the comic in good shape. Just me.

4 Likes

You’re the only person outside of myself I’ve ever noticed having a copy of Showcase Presents: Warlord.

3 Likes

Hence my name and avatar. :grinning: Do you have Savage Empire which is a nice color collection of 1st Issue Special #8 and Warlord #1-12? I have friends looking for the Showcase, but it’s expensive these days.

4 Likes

Im the king of low grade comics. I tend to enjoy lower grade books well enough. I probably should knuckle down and make a few higher end purchases though. Whenever I’m considering buying a higher value raw book online, I always want to see a lot of clear photos and scans, as well as disclosures in the description.

Usually for what I’m buying this doesn’t matter too much, but when it gets to be over a certain dollar amount, my biggest concern is restoration. You can’t always see that in a photo. You can’t prove a seller didn’t know about it. I like to think I have a good eye, but I’m no professional.

My biggest fear in collecting is spending 2 mortgage payments on a comic, sending it to be graded, and having it come back with a purple label

2 Likes

I don’t have that. I had to look it up.

1 Like

I don’t buy collectibles. No statues. No figures. Not much really. Sometimes a tshirt with a character. My trade collection is pretty much where I want it. So, for me, the high grade stuff is what I’m about. It’s kinda like everything in one place.

I’m about to buy one more thing this week, but it’ll likely be the end of me buying things for many months. Then I’ll put back $200 a month, and in 6 months…

I’ve only dropped $500 or more on a comic twice in my life. I just can justify spending a grand on something that has so many 9.8 copies that there are triple digit Signature copies. (I’m looking at you Spider-Man 300!!)

3 Likes

I didn’t remember that I even posted a pic of that comic. I do have one. I got it for 65$ at a small comic con several years ago. It presents extraordinarily well but the pages aren’t great. A little dark. (Are you sure you’re looking at mine?)

If you don’t mind my asking, what are you going to buy next?

1 Like

@c-m-woodworks I just mention ASM 300 because it just sold as a 9.8 for $2K!!! It’s a very, very, VERY common book.

I’m looking at Brave and the Bold 200. I’ve really become a fan of the Mike W. Barr series from the 80’s lately.

Sorry. Outsiders. It’s the first appearance of Outsiders.

1 Like

Is it a slabbed 9.8 you’re looking at acquiring?

1 Like

I’ve been seeing 8.5 raw issues of 300 sell for 2-300 lately. You’re right it’s ridiculous.

1 Like

Slabbed, yeah. Not very expensive. I’m just eyeing a few. There are some low 9.8s that look like 9.6s to me. So I’m waiting on the right one.

1 Like

I’m a little bit obsessed with observing comic book sales on EBay. Mostly auctions. I think that’s the real overstreet these days. I feel like a bone picker for saying this, but I’ve been hoping that we’d see another dive bomb in value of all things collectible due to the current crisis. That hasn’t really happened. I’m pretty focused on the dozen or so comics I’d like to buy so my sample size may be small. But I’m seeing fewer auctions and more fixed price listings. With best offer options, respectively. It’s funny, I don’t have many people in my life to discuss this observation with.

1 Like

I really don’t have your kind of experience with super high grade comics. I can usually evaluate a comic(usually silver age) within .5 if it’s 7.5 or lower. You know yourself it gets really critical when it’s higher grade. 8.5-9.6 is still a bit of a mystery to me. I usually have to consult the guide.

My Harley Shrine:

Just got this signed Szerdy print today:

4 Likes

I use bidding trends to determine fair market value myself. I’ve always felt a once a year price guide didn’t reflect buyer trends.

1 Like

Kinda have a Harley thang going there, huh?

1 Like

Every Year of the Villian issue through the end of Hell Arisen.

3 Likes

Love the ceiling

There’s a paid price guide service that is based on eBay trends. I can’t remember what it is. Is it still active?

1 Like

The CLZ Comics app is supposed to do that if you grade your catalogue…

I’ve never done it though.