Collection of Comic Bindings

Thanks @Space-Marine_Marty_Travis!!!

1 Like

@superby1 Those are all amazing! Do you get to pick the cover art? Do they provide a preview prior to making the book? What is the company that does the binding?

@TravisMorgan thanks! With most of these I got to pick the cover art. I did most of it with MSPaint (cause I don’t know how to use photoshop) but the person who took over the graphic wrap around cover aspects of the bindery insisted it be done in photoshop so I had him do it (for a fee) and I had to provide high quality images for him to do the All-Star Squadron and Who’s Who bindings. He’s no longer there so I’m not sure what the process is now.

I used Houchen Bindery. Here’s their comic binding section of their site. It’ll give you their pricing and requirements:
https://www.houchenbindery.com/services/comic-books/

4 Likes

Cool. I’ll check it out. Thanks much.

1 Like

You’re very welcome! It’s a fun hobby. It can be expensive and the turnaround time is usually 6-8 weeks, but when you get it in your hands, it’s awesome to see the final product. I’m still going through my boxes to find the other bindings I’ve had done.

1 Like

More of the collection.

7 Likes

Those look amazing. I need to do the same thing!

1 Like

Thank you @RandallusPrime!

1 Like

@superby1
tenor

3 Likes

What are the initial reactions from writers, artists, and everyone else you have had sign your books? I do wonder if this might give someone like DiDio an idea of what books to collect for the next omnibus, at least when he was there.

2 Likes

@D4RK5TARZ usually when I hand it to a creator to get signed you see them look at the front and back cover, flip through the book and they ask about the process. Those who are familiar with bindings ask which place I had them done.

It really helps break the ice and is a nice conversation starter. Len Wein and Joe Kelly stick out the most.

Didio is gone from DC but I get what you’re saying; them seeing what people have bound and it makes them wonder if there’s a market for it.

The funny thing is, one of the reasons I started this hobby was to collect stuff that hadn’t yet been collected (The Janus Directive, JLI and JLE, Chain Lightning/Dark Flash, etc) Down the road some of what I had bound ended up being collected in trade and omnibus form, but I still hold onto my bindings because they’re special.

3 Likes

This is something that I might do in the future with some X-Men books I have. My floppies are all in the basement while I have an overpacked shelf of collections.

1 Like

It’s definitely worth looking into. The turnaround time varies depending on which place you send it to, but I can say no matter the wait, there’s nothing like opening up that box to see the final product :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is awesome. I’m thinking Kamandi will be my first bound collection. Of course it will be volume II because I already have the Jack Kirby omnibus. But it seems there is no plans to finish the series or collect Kamandi’s other appearances.

If you were to get that done, I would love to see the results! Kamandi would be an excellent binding.

1 Like

This is the coolest idea!!! This is a “shut up and take my money” idea! Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

@Klone-13 (awesome name, by the way) thank you very much! It’s a fun hobby. There are people who have had MUCH better bindings than mine done. I’m always in awe of their work.

2 Likes

Well your collection looks awesome, great choices to have bound too! (and thanks, only so many Superboy options lol)

1 Like

As a fellow superboy fan (hence the name) I know you’re pain.

1 Like

A Flash binding which was one of the early batches I had done. No graphic cover at the time, just a simple binding with foil stamping at the side

And yes, I took it to Mark Waid at my first New York Comic Con in 2010 to get signed.

2 Likes