CGC Comics

I finally had the Granddaddy of my collection encapsulated this year!

7 Likes

New book to the collection!

6 Likes

:heart::heart::heart:

7 Likes

I’ve never bought CGC comics, so out of curiosity, how would anyone recommend someone start?

3 Likes

5 Likes

I want this. Nice pick up.

3 Likes

Here is who I bought it from.

There are others listed, but this is a great price for a 9.8 sketch edition.

5 Likes

3 Likes

:purple_heart:ing these in a big way @AK_Bandit. :+1:

4 Likes

Very cool @flashlites! :grinning: :+1:

3 Likes

I have been collecting comics for nearly two decades and just started looking into slabbing my more valuable books.

However, in all those years of collecting, no one ever told me that getting a book signed without a CGC representative present essentially makes the book worthless (in regards to resell value).

Luckily, I still have the sentimental value and the memory of meeting my favorite creators, but the realization that my pristine copy of Booster Gold #1 signed by Dan Jurgens would receive the dreaded CGC green label is kind of a bummer.

2 Likes

Just a taste of the “Death of Superman” Collection

7 Likes

Wowza :open_mouth:

2 Likes

6 Likes

Beautiful! :star_struck:

Love the history here.

3 Likes

It was quite the process, I was very nervous while it was away for grading, as you can imagine. But it came back safe and sound and it took about 4-6 weeks I think? That was before the pandemic, I believe wait times are longer now. I love to read my old comics so I don’t know how many more I will get encapsulated. The Flash #3 is from 1940 and I’ve had it for almost 30 years. Over that amount of time I had seen it deteriorate from a 3.5 to now a 2.5. I encapsulated it more to preserve it than for any other reason.

3 Likes

CBCS will grade and authenticate your signed comics. I plan to send one to them by the end of the year. I will try and share it here while I go through the process. I’ve always felt it was a bit of a money grab for CGC to say “hey, if we didn’t see it it never happened.” But CBCS has a whole department for this kind of thing, they will look at your autograph and let you know if they agree it’s authentic, if not they will let you know before they encapsulate, so you only have to pay for that part. I think that’s fair.

2 Likes

Makes perfect sense. :smiley:

Seeing modern books encapsulated always looks strange to me. Authentication and preservation of historic Platinum Age, Golden Age, and Silver Age books always signaled the reason for the CGC treatment of comics.

3 Likes

You might like this one!

4 Likes

I have a handful of non-DC books that thankfully survived some water intrusion problems that damaged some other books, collectibles (and nostalgia related paper stuff, including sadly some art) that were all being stored under my bed due to a lack of room. Some of these are likely items that can be graded and slabbed but I’m not going to get into them because (a) some of the are adult material and (b) they aren’t DC and they aren’t even mainstream books.

Most of my worthwhile DC books (like @flashlites Golden Age Jay Garrick book were probably in similar condition but I no longer have those, they either returned to a collection that was shared by parents for their children to read in my childhood hometown or the very few I had hung on to, were sold them while I was in school and needed extra cash. I think that included the Showcase of JLA from the early '60s that I owned that would probably have been the only valuable thing today, and it was still readable and not really torn or damaged but probably would not grade higher than a 3 or 4 since it had never been properly stored.

I did keep some recent books which fortunately were stored in boxes and they are currently on my shelf and not going to get bagged but these are all collected editions. Some of them are out of print and expensive to buy on the secondary market but nothing that I’m thinking is worth the expense of getting graded, unless I went and sought out convention signatures on some.

3 Likes