Celebrating African American Creators

I thought I had posted to this thread already, he is a different kind of artist, but Phil Lamarr is one of the greatest.

7 Likes

Hey all, we’re continuing this thread past February, so if you have additional mentions to add, please do! :slight_smile: I meant to add these earlier, and I’m finally having the chance to add more titles to my reading list, so I’m giving a shout out to the following creators and their work:

Wayne Howard’s Midnight Tales

Greg Anderson Elysee’s Is’nana the Were-Spider

and Regine L. Sawyer’s The Rippers

7 Likes

I’ll add Ken Lashley! Super-talented artist and great guy! He’s worked on Doomed, Superwoman, and plenty of other stuff for DC! He also did an incredible Wonder Woman/Mera piece for me a few years ago at C2E2!

10 Likes

Some love for the Far Sector creative team N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell. Here’s hoping they continue to be part of the DC creative roster.

5 Likes

Only love for the great creators Jamal Igle and Vita Ayala whose amazing work on Supergirl will live forever.

huston-supergirlshorts-1spl

Hope to see them do more work on her in the future.

4 Likes

Joe Philips. A wonderful artist and a gay man of color. He is an inspiration.

4 Likes

Ken Lashley is incredibly underrated, especially with regards to his work on The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive. His cover to the first issue of that series is iconic and then some.

I know I’m in for a good time when I see Lashley’s name on a book.

3 Likes

Brian Stelfreeze’s 90’s cover work on the various Bat books is still burned into my childhood memories. He doesn’t get nearly enough credit!

6 Likes

Stelfreeze is one of my top ten comic book artists. I dream of one day meeting him at a con and commissioning some pieces from him.

stelfreeze poison ivy

6 Likes

Happy to see all the love for Priest! That man is one of the GOAT (and under-appreciated) writers in comic history.

Everyone behind the scenes of Milestone comics in the '90s deserves some recognition. Here are some of the stand-outs for me:

CrissCross,
Robert L. Washington III,
MD Bright,
Denys Cowan,
and, of course, Dwayne McDuffie

I’d like to add that Reginald Hudlin is an extraordinary creator that never seems to get his due.

3 Likes