Can someone recommend any good comics for beginners?

I recently got into the DC Universe and don’t know which comic series I should start with, I would like something that’s easy to understand without having much knowledge about the DC world.

3 Likes

Gotham Academy is great for beginners because the story is self contained. Injustice is great because it introduces you to a wide cast but it’s outside of continuity, so you don’t have to worry about knowing anything going into it. Batman: Hush is another solid pick, it was one of my very first comics, and it’s widely considered a classic.
Ultimately, suggestions will vary greatly depending on what genre you like, age, and other personal preferences.

3 Likes

Pick a character you like and start there! Since you have DCUniverse, there’s some stuff on here you can read, and then branch out from there.

2 Likes

Look for any self contained stories, like…
The Golden Age
The New Frontier
All Star Superman
Grant Morrison’s JLA run
Batman Hush
Superman/Batman 1-26 (you can pick all of them up in 2 tpb)
Watchmen or Dark Knight Returns (but both are heavy reads)

DC also publishes some good self contained stuff under other imprints, like Vertigo, Wildstorm, etc…that said…
Planetary. I can never recommend this book enough. It not for kids, but not grim and gritty either. Its a comic story about all types of stories.

2 Likes

You should watch the DCAU (DC Animated universe) it’s a group of shows in the 90s and 00s. The main shows are Batman Animated Series, Superman Animated Series, Justice League, Justice League Unlimited, Static Shock. You get introduced to a ton of characters. Then pick one, find a comic series here in DC Universe and read it! There’s also Teen Titans. Which is not part of the DCAU. It introduces you to a lot that team!

3 Likes

The story that got me into comics was the Batman Court of Owls/City of Owls story. If you’re interested in Batman I think it’s a fantastic place to start for a few reasons:

1. It’s fairly self-contained, since it was the start of a new continuity. Not much former knowledge is needed.
  2. The aftereffects of the story are still showing in the DC universe today. That entire run was setting up the Dark Nights Metal event that happened last year, and the Court has showed up or been reference in lots of stories since its first appearance.
  3. It’s a really great story! I have the TPBs and lended them to any of my friends who would read them and every one of them enjoyed it.
    The entire Snyder/Capullo Batman run is great, and if you like Court of Owls I’d highly recommend continuing on with the series.

If Batman doesn’t interest you, I’d be happy to recommend some other ideas too!

2 Likes

Edit to my last comment:
Self-contained isn’t the right word. Self-contained is something that kinda stands on its own, without effecting or being affected by other stories. Court of Owls could be read as a stand-alone story, but is ultimately the start of a much larger Batman narrative, meaning it’s not truly self-contained.

2 Likes

There is a wonderful thread that asks people what they would recommend those new to comics. A lot of folks recommend Young Justice. It’s entertaining and introduces a fresh look that introduces you to concepts without bogging you down in decades of lore. I recommend taking a look at the thread and seeing it anythting stands out! https://yourdcu.com/intro

2 Likes

The New Teen Titans was another frequently recommended series to dive into :slight_smile: Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Treat yourself. Begin where is it all began four these Heroes. Start with their debut issues and see how it all started

2 Likes

All the above recommendations are good, but if you want to catch up to the current continuity rather than just reading standalone stories, then pick a character you like and start from the New 52 series (the ones start from 2011 ). Although they claim that Rebirth is also a good starting point, for some titles it can be confusing from time to time if you are completely new to comics and haven’t read the new 52 series.

3 Likes

The New 52 is a great place to start, if you can get your hands on a reading order guide. If you’re not interested in reading all of them, I can easily recommend New 52 Batman. It’s probably the most solid series the New 52 had.

4 Likes

If you can access our Comic Book Library, my suggestions are

1. Detective Comics 471 through 476

2. Aquaman 2011

3. Wonder Woman 1986

4. JLA 1996

5. Teen Titans 2003

6. The Saga of the Swamp Thing

Just read a few issues of first, get comfortable with character, before starting next title

3 Likes

Jeph Loeb’s Superman/Batman series from the early-mid 2000s is an absolute blast and easy to follow read. You wouldn’t go wrong starting with this.

2 Likes

Why not drop by our book club? This week we are taking a look at Power Girl. It’s a fun read and great for beginners!

1 Like

TNTT run is exhilarating. Superboy & the legion of superheroes, all the Catwomans on here start with Selina’s Big Score, Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing, Starfire 2015 I believe, Power Girl power trip into her solo comic followed by Power Girl & Harley Quinn mini series, Huntress year one, Batgirl year one, Robin year one, Vixen Return Of The Lion, JSA All Stars, Batman & The Outsiders.