Can someone explain Donna Troy to me?

Been reading some Titans recently and I don’t understand anything about Donna Troy. Tried researching about her on the encyclopedia but found nothing. If you could tell me her origin, I’d really appreciate it.(BTW if you could add recommended reading that would be great)

You’re probably going to need pick which era of DC you want to know that answer from. It gets a bit complex.

4 Likes

@ralphsix I’d like the current one and the post Zero-Hour one.

Current Donna I can explain:

Basically, in the New 52 era of Wonder Woman, after Diana became Queen of the Amazons and allowed the men born from Amazons to live on Paradise Island, there was a hidden cadre of those who hated this decision and thought Diana was contaminating the Amazonian way. So they took the body of Hippolyta (who at that time was a clay statue, more or less dead because of Hera’s spite), some of Diana’s hair, and used it in ancient magic to create a new Amazon they named Donna.

Their plan was to have Donna fight Diana for the throne, and use Donna as a figurehead. Donna wins the match and the cadre’s first action is to slaughter the men that were living on the island. Diana does her best to fight them off and eventually convinces Donna to think for herself, and Donna joins Diana to defeat the cadre and starts on her path to becoming her own person.

1 Like

Actually if you read the last 3 issues of the Titans series on here they cover her origin lol

1 Like

Sorry, but that’s impossible. Explaining Donna Troi is akin to explaining Hank Pym. Down that road lies madness.

1 Like

I would recommend reading the return of Donna Troy on here. That will help some. Her history is very convoluted based on whatever DC seemed to be doing with Wonder Woman at the time. There were moments she was rescued from a fire by Wonder Woman and took to Themyscira. Then when crisis happened a firefighter saved her then it was revised to Rhea saving her and her being trained from the Titans of myth. She also had an origin where she was a mirror duplicate of Diana and been forced to live numerous lives (my favorite origin). Now they have the one where she was basically a villain. I probably missed one in there somewhere. Love the character but DC sure has pushed her around for some unknown reason.

2 Likes

Donna Troy has an incredibly convoluted backstory, but below is a list of her key origin stories (pre-New 52/Rebirth). If you’re new to Donna, I would recommend that you think of her as the “heart” of the Titans (with Dick as the team’s “soul”) and just try to simply enjoy her character.

• 1969 – Teen Titans #21-22: Origin of Wonder Girl (First origin; debut of Donna’s red outfit).
• 1983 – New Teen Titans #38: Who Is Donna Troy? (Classic NTT issue).
• 1988 – New Titans #50-55: Who Is Wonder Girl? (Post-Crisis/Titans of Myth origin; Donna takes the name Troia).
• 1998 – Wonder Woman #134-#145: Who Is Donna Troy? (John Byrne/Dark Angel origin; Donna discovers that she is a clone of Diana).
• 1999 – Wonder Woman Secret Files and Origins #2: Lost Pages: Who is Troia? (Recap of Donna’s then current origin).
• 2001 – Titans #23-35: Who Is Troia? (3-part story that expands upon Donna’s then current origin).
• 2003 – Titans/Young Justice: Graduation Day #1-3 (Story features Donna’s “death”).
• 2005 – DC Special: Return of Donna Troy (Donna returns to the DC Universe).

4 Likes

Donna Troy quick and dirty back story: Founding member of the Teen Titans, current Titan, currently dealing with having had to fight a future evil version of herself and having the Justice League disband the Titans before Nightwing created a new Team, currently created by magic to be used as a weapon but in the past has been 1) Younger sister of Diana, 2) random girl saved from fire by Diana and raised by Amazons, 3) raised by the Titans (powerful beings), 4)embodiment of all Donna Troys from across the multiverse who were all cursed/doomed to have bad things happen. Basically, Donna is awesome and tends to have some shitty stuff happen to her and have her origin changed more often than DC reboots.

1 Like

takes shot and slams it on the table Donna Troy’s origin(s) are all over the place man, can’t help you.

A lot of good info in here I kind of had the same question

All I know is they wanted a wonder woman type person to team up w/ the sidekicks in young justice or teen titans and whatnot and the wanted to have a younger diana but that wouldn’t make sense if yj or tt teamed up w/ the jl or their timelines and what not and morphed what they had in to Donna troy, gave her a cool backstory, then retconned and retconned and then retconned some more…

She’s Roy Harper’s one true love. (Sorry, Chesh). A character beloved by readers and comics’ creators alike-- otherwise nobody would have bothered with all those retcons. But, like all Titans, she often gets dismissed by current DC executives.

2 Likes

The whole “Rebirth” thing was a perfect opportunity for DC to finally fix Donna’s convoluted history but unfortunately they stuck with her newest (and dumbest) origin for some reason. The versions of characters that show up in TV, movies and other media outside of comics tells me a lot about how DC wants them to be perceived by the general audience who doesn’t read comics. The fact that the “Titans” show used her classic, Pre-Crisis origin (classic and most simple) is encouraging and hopefully the comics will follow suit. Honestly, I stopped paying attention to Donna’s various “origins of the week” in the comics. To me, she’s always been WW’s kid sister and when she turns up in WW comics (if ever) that’s how I read it. Kid sister. Not mirror doppelgänger or clay reincarnation or… whatever.

2 Likes

Are the New 52 Donna and the Rebirth Donna different people the same way New 52 Superman and Rebirth Superman are? The Donna in Titans Hunt and Rebirth was part of the Teen Titans and had her memory erased after their confrontation with Mister Twister. The Donna from the New 52 was made and later became a Fate. She didn’t exist back when the Teen Titans did. The Titans Hunt Donna does make reference in passing to the fact that she became a Fate. I didn’t keep reading Titans Rebirth so I’m confused about that.

If I remember right, in Titans it’s explained that she is the same as the New 52 Donna, but was given new memories as a way to move past her violent origin. However, Rucka’s retconning of the New 52 elements makes that origin problematic and contradictory. Again.

She’s probably the single most confusing character in all of DC history.

4 Likes

She’s one of the most confusing characters in DC history. She’s been written over and over. I think the story for Titans is… She was rescued from a house fire by Dianna. Taken to Themescira…(not sure that’s spelled correctly),… raised as an Amazon and learned all their knowledge and training. Then became Wonder Girl.

1 Like

And Conor Leslie is a hot version. Lol

1 Like

She has at least 4 versions of a backstory, she admits herself she’s not exactly sure which ones right. She was put thru an ordeal where multiple versions of herself were created all living different lives & subjected to thousands of different scenarios til she wasn’t sure which one was true. The one I think she believes the most is she was rescued from a burning building by WW as a baby & brought to paradise island to be trained as an Amazon, due to the lack, or altogether missing information on who she was or who her parents were. I wouldn’t argue if someone else believed it’s a different one tho & I don’t think she would either.

1 Like