Can anyone give suggestions for more magic oriented stories?

@djd
Yes, Camelot 3000 is such an important story for many reasons, and never gets the props it deserves.

Hmmmmm…maybe DC Daily needs to do a book club for it. One can but ask. I think it’s something to post in the Watchtower DC Daily thread.

2 Likes

Not everyone’s cup of tea, but you may enjoy The Shade’s limited series, which is available here on the service. Identity Crisis has less of a magic bent to it, but magic plays a pivotal role in the plot!

Some other assorted suggestions:
-Demon Knights
-Books of Magic (Not on this app but maybe someday!)
-Frankenstein: Agent of S.H.A.D.E.
-Seven Soldiers
-House of Mystery or I, Vampire

2 Likes

Oh, it’s not on DCU because it was a Vertigo title, but if you want a complete head-trip, check out Shade The Changing Man. Not the same as Shade at all. DC has recently released Shade the Changing Girl and Shade the Changing Woman on DCU which is related to that concept, but I haven’t’ read those.

1 Like

@djd
I just put in a request for a DC Daily Nook Club for Camelot 3000, in the dC Daily thread in the Watchtower. Don’t know if it will happen, but if you don’t ask you sure as hades ain’t gonna get.

2 Likes

The Books of Magic is a 4 issue mini-series (can purchase in a one volume collection) written by Neil Gamon with Constantine, Zantanna, Dr. Fate and others. HIGHLY recommend it

2 Likes

Oh, now this is my kind of thread! :smiley: There are a few titles I don’t recognize just yet, but will be added to my watch-list.

It’s always such a pleasure to see the community come together to share ideas. <3

3 Likes

I guess I should specify that I meant the 90s Shade the Changing Man not the 70s Shade the Changing Man which has little to do with the 90s version.

Aren’t comics wonderfully ridiculous?

I’m not sure if it’s strictly magical. It’s a story about an alien coat made from insanity that may as well be magical.

Nobody does magic in the DC Universe better than Zatanna Zatara (no offense to Jason Blood, John Constantine or the assorted nom de guerre’s of Dr. Fate).

Here are some recommended books starring the DCU’s best magician:

-Zatanna Special (1987). A one-shot by Gerry Conway and Gray Morrow. A print only title right now.

-Zatanna (1993). A four issue mini-series by Lee Marrs and Esteban Maroto. Print only at this time, but it’s easy enough to find. I read this once years and years ago, but it was fun, and Zatanna even wore pants in it.

-Zatanna: Everyday Magic (2003). A one-shot written by Paul Dini, so you know it’ll be great. It’s not on DCU right now as it was published under the Vertigo imprint.

-Seven Soldiers: Zatanna (2005). Written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Ryan Sook. One of the best Seven Soldiers books.

-Zatanna (2010-2011) is a solid read for one looking to get their magic fix and it’s mostly written by Paul Dini.

-Black Canary and Zatanna: Bloodspell (2014) is fun and written by Paul Dini as well. This is not on DCU as it’s an original graphic novel. It’s worth seeking out though.

For malevolent magic, there’s Klarion who’s starred in two solo titles:

-Seven Soldiers: Klarion the Witch Boy (2005). Written by Grant Morrison and drawn by Frazier Irving (their first collaboration I believe).

-Klarion (2014-2015). Written by Ann Nocenti and drawn by Trevor McCarthy. Quite possibly the shortest ongoing from The New 52, this series lasted a whopping six issues.

Good magic or bad, these are some entertaining reads that will cast a spell on you.

1 Like

Decade acolyte

Right on. I’ll read Camelot 3000 again. I read it on a whim with no idea what it was about. I was hooked right away. The characters were all ones I love that usually don’t get much “screen time “ for lack of a better term in comics. JL Dark is another one, that if I could choose the characters, it would be the ones they chose. Just like Camelot.

Vroom

The Seven Soldiers entire run is phenomenal. I’ve been meaning to read that Klarion solo title. I saw it on the back pages of a comic on here. Looked it up & it said it won an Eisner award. I’m already a big Klarion fan so I can’t wait. His Seven Soldiers issues really get involved with his origins & realm. That’s why I can’t wait to read that solo title. It’s supposed to be all about his realm. I’m a big Teekl fan for some dumb reason lol. His familiar is one of my favorites. Dexx-Starr up there too. Must have a closet love for vicious cats?

Justice league dark
Hellblazer/Constantine
Demon knights /the demon
Trinity of sin
Phantom stranger

The Spectre is more of a supernatural horror title, but it frequently features magic users (Madame Xanadu especially, but others like Dr. Fate and the Phantom Stranger too). The 1992 series is phenomenal.

Just read a great WW magical arc. Wonder Woman ‘87 on this site issues #105-#109. However, I would start with #101 & go #101-#109. That way #101 goes directly into the next arc & its 4th world which flows into the #105-#109 arc that includes; Etrigan, Morgaine Le Fay, Phantom Stranger, Vandal Savage, General Immortus, Arion, etc. Plus the very 1st appearance of Cassie Sandsmark as Wonder Girl. The Second Genesis arc has Darkseid, Desaad, etc. that’s the arc that starts at #101.

This is a great one on site.
Superman issues are optional, just to familiarize with Blaze & Satanus. There’s other comics u could read instead, but this order is fun. Also, if u aren’t familiar with Shadowpact characters, u might wanna read some of those issues. Assuming you’re familiar with Shadowpact, & Etrigan, Deadman, Dr. Occult, Zatanna etc. this is a great read.
Adventures of Superman #493
Action Comics #680
Superman Man of Steel #15
Superman #71
Adventures of Superman #494
Then
Reign in Hell issues #1-#8.

Read it that way last night, it was so good imho.

The entire Vertigo Hellblazer series was pretty cool, IMHO.

2 Likes

Alan Moore’s “Swamp Thing” offers a few good looks at DC’s mystical hierarchy, as well as being an amazing story.

Hellblazer #63 is also a great mystical story, but for entirely different reasons.

The new 52 run of Justice League Dark is pretty good,

The original Amethyst Princess of Gemworld series is pretty good. Although i still think the ultimate ending was a massive fuck you to Amethyst

Millenium Fever by Nick Abadzis and Duncan Fregredo

Weird book.