Bookworm Reads Green Lantern: Sleepers: Book Three

Okay, just skimmed a few pages and:

• It’s the author’s first prose work and it does show (a lot of the descriptions read like directions for an artist)
  • Chapter Two and for some reason, the author is having Hal being weird about a teen girl
  • Ollie is written with a noticeable Southern accent (honestly this one’s not entirely negative it just caught me off guard)

Stay tuned to see if it was worth my hard-earned fifteen dollars

3 Likes

I really liked this trilogy - I got it from the Graphic Audio humble bundle sale.

3 Likes

Guys there’s a scene here where Hal and Guy have a dance-off to I’m Too Sexy

2 Likes

I spent human person money on this book

3 Likes

I’m screaming into the void and the void is laughing

2 Likes

is this book going to cause you to have a crisis

2 Likes

It’s BAFFLING, the prose is weird and clunky but the dialogue is kind of okay sometimes. I don’t want to be mean because Christopher Priest is a groundbreaking writer and he’s not a bad writer. At ALL. But I think the main thing I’ve gotten out of this book is that talent in writing comics does not translate into prose writing. It’s a different beast. I think this book would be a MUCH better comic

2 Likes

Oh my God

2 Likes

I just read the wiki page and for the first two books he only wrote THE OUTLINES

2 Likes

THIS IS THE CO-CREATOR OF STATIC SHOCK we KNOW he can write

2 Likes

I feel bad because Priest is a really talented guy

2 Likes

I was told this was a thoughtful character piece with a super queercoded Hal Jordan. I bought this book just so read the line “I wish I were Carl Ferris’ daughter”

2 Likes

This makes me want to reread the book (and series) again! I quite liked it, but I was reading it for Priest, not for Hal. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Please give me ANYONE to talk about this. Maybe I made the mistake of reading only the third book

3 Likes

Well, each book focuses on different Lanterns - book one is Kyle (and Jade), book two is Alan (in WW2 era), and book three is Hal (when he’s in his Spectre phase, which is SUPER weird and pissed Priest off a ton, especially since DC wouldn’t let him just write Hal as Lantern, even though they changed him back to Lantern halfway through writing the book!)

2 Likes

Is THAT why this book is so weird?? Priest just. Kind of didn’t want to write it?

2 Likes

just reading this thread I’m interested in reading the book because I thoroughly enjoy reading slightly trashy things that make me lose my mind

2 Likes

He definitely wanted to write it - eventually - but was very frustrated with the hoops he had to jump through to do it. You should check out his blogging on the subject! DigitalPriest.Com: Green Lantern: Sleepers

I wouldn’t say it’s trashy - much more pulpy. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Lmfao same

2 Likes

LOL. The title for this topic makes it sound like I’m ready to hear a audible story. And I mean literally from @bookwormfitzpatrick.91230 .

Bookworm Reads Green Lantern: Sleepers: Book Three

4 Likes