Black Manta Thread

tumblr_a9130c501051b505a2a5079764c8cba6_ec87ff84_540
Ever since I was a kid, I thought Black Manta is one cool scary lookin villain.
This thread is all about Black Manta from comic books, tv shows, movie and more!
He’s been around for over 50 years, it’s about time he get his own thread. Of course our pal Aquaman would say that’s outrageous! :laughing:
The new movie really made me happy to see more of this menacing villain, it was a film I was waiting for.
Feel free to share anything that has to do with Aquaman’s arch nemesis, Black Manta. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

Awesome topic @Reaganfan78

I think the best and easily recognizable Black Manta content I could bring up. Would be Chuck Brown’s Black Manta miniseries which is is a great starting point for anyone interested in the character.

7 Likes

Love Black Manta, he kicked butt in Injustice 2.

8 Likes

A bit of trivia. Black Manta was the very first Aquaman villain to appear on television. It was in the very first Aquaman episode of The Superman/Aquaman Hour of Adventure. Black Manta was going to sink an ocean liner.

6 Likes

Nice punwork lol (the status)

4 Likes

My first exposure to my favorite Aquaman villain was in the Filmation Aquaman TV series via this spiffy Super Powers-branded VHS release that was a childhood favorite Blockbuster rental (and years later, a purchase during my video store employ):

Speaking of Super Powers and Black Manta, this guy’s a Walmart exclusive, but hasn’t yet shown up in large numbers (give it time and he likely will):

5 Likes

I hope this ain’t a controversial opinion. But did anyone else like his old motivations better? I feel like him as a freedom fighter for black/African-Americans could made his villainy sympathetic but you obviously would disagree with his actions.

Of course if that’s too real, then I don’t mind the 1992 version because that motivation is just as good while keeping the theme of the original.

4 Likes

Manta is best when he is in jail

5 Likes

For a long while, I was mostly ignorant of the Aquaman mythos. I didn’t even know if he had a rogues gallery. But then I got the double whammy of Injustice 2 and the 2018 Aquaman movie. Both versions made him look cool as Hell and I wanted more of him.

I’ve only read the New 52 Aquaman book but I enjoyed how he was used in that. I also read his short appearance in the Rebirth Teen Titans book and his own limited series. Not sure what the consensus of this book is but I ended up liking it

And I really like just how intense his hatred of Aquaman goes. I know a lot of villains are like that, but he kicks it to the next level thats so entertaining

dave-chappelle-haters-club

5 Likes

As far as motivations go, modern Black Manta is my favorite. I’m a traditionalist in the sense that I love villains that just want to see the world burn. I do enjoy the villains where you see where they are coming from, like Ocean Master. In his mind, everything he does, he is doing for the betterment of Atlantis. But Black Manta and Aquaman have a blood feud, he just wants revenge for Aquaman accidentally killing his father, and nothing else. His motivation is just pure unbridled hatred.

8 Likes

I am the opposite of a traditionalist. I like complex villains like Black Adam, Sinestro, and Bob the Goon.

5 Likes

To clarify - are you referring to the Bob that appeared in the '89 Batman movie?

3 Likes

He is Joker’s number one guy. Why are you talking to me so formally?

4 Likes

I like to keep people on their toes with what comes out of my mouth. Or mind and onto keypad in this case

5 Likes

Black Manta is Def in my Top 10

5 Likes

He calls himself Aquaman’s white whale when really it is the opposite.

5 Likes

Recently got to read more about him covering devil Ray. I love that they keep the history with him being a black separatist until his petty rivalry with Aquaman came to define his villainy.

Black Manta #3

5 Likes

BTW what do y’all think about the 6-issue Black Manta book that came out a couple of years ago? I personally enjoyed it but I want to hear from those more well versed in Aquaman and Black Manta history

3 Likes

Black Manta got some love recently in DC Power 2024. It’s a pretty good story with Manta being his usual pirate self, but one where he’s confronted with another young and eager pirate who reminds him of his son.

He may not be a good person, but dammit I love it that this stubborn brute is trying.

3 Likes